PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack/Bars ideas

whiteman
23-02-2005, 11:39 AM
I've been pricing up getting roof racks and I've found you can spend a couple of thousand of the hard-earned ones without too much trouble. In my surfing days I got by on $10/pair tubes from K-Mart!

I usually take a 6x4 trailer soft-camping but now I've upgraded to a Prado I can fit more in the back but it will still need room for chairs, tables and water bottles. I'm looking at an aero double bar from Rhino ($130 each) plus a wire roof rack of 1200x1000 mesh basket rack ($160). This should give me enough room. I refuse to pay $200+ for a canvas bag for the basket.

Any suggestions for a better setup for under $500 will be most welcome!

thisbig
28-09-2005, 10:06 PM
sorry mate but you get what you pay for.DONT go cheap you will regret it and buy good ones in the long run.try www.ebay.com.au got mine from there happy as .at a third of the price.

bruce4x4
29-09-2005, 05:33 PM
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/default.asp

Try this site it may help.

I found a 3/4 alloy for $200 great just keep looking :)

Elysium
29-09-2005, 06:35 PM
I am in the canvas trade and I can tell you this...If you dont want to pay $200 plus for the bag in the carrier...you aint going to get a bag. Not one of high quality anyways!!!

Needmorerum
04-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah, you get what you pay for. The better racks from ARB and the likes, cost money for a reason. You just gotta look at the strength of them. But you also need to look at what you want to do with it. We do alot of outback touring and some pretty hard 4WD'ing, so the only way for me was a good ARB steel rack.
Just weigh up the use. Mine was around $1k I think, and I use it once a year, but I'd be lost without it.

Corry

kleiny
05-10-2005, 01:24 PM
you get what you pay for. Rhino are also around the same price.
Kleiny