PDA

View Full Version : mitsubishi challenger wheel bearing adjustment

noname
12-11-2006, 02:13 PM
i have 2002 model Mitsubishi challenger that I've been told requires adjustment to both the front wheel bearings.. at the risk of sounding stupid, how do i do this???? normally when Tyre's wear on the inside only a simple wheel alignment is all that's required. i know how to repack bearings with grease or change them if needed but I've never heard of adjusting them. is this a 4wd thing? this is my 1st 4wd so I'm used to cars. as i said i have no idea how to adjust the bearings but it is causing seriously uneven wear to my front Tyre's and as 90% of my driving is done on road with kids on board ANY advice would be greatly appreciated. :o. thanx noname

blaze
12-11-2006, 02:20 PM
same prinicple as repacking a trailer bearing, just means you need to take off the free wheeling hub to get to the adjustment nut and it will have a lock washer with a tang that is bent over into a machined out section of the nut. You will most like find its not a normal type nut.
For your wheel bearings to be bad enough to cause uneven tyre wear, the wheel must be about to fall off. I would question the ability of the person that did the wheel alignment.
cheers
blaze
ps
did the wheel alinement guy want to do your wheel bearings too.

noname
12-11-2006, 03:18 PM
hi... thanx. from what your saying im gonna guess the mechanic was trying to scam extra work from me.. i imagine i would have some serious vibration when driving if the wheel was in danger of coming off, and there is basically none untill you hit 100ks, which is expected with approx 2 inches of the inside of front tyres is worn twice as bad as rest of tyre.. i havnt actually had an alignment yet as i didnt think it would help tell i got the bearings adjusted. it was the mechanic that passed me for rego almost 2 months ago that told me. although i will check out the adjustment nut now youve told me where it is, im starting to think from what youve said i just require an alignment and the guy was trying to scam.... thanx...noname

gawby
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Put a jack under the front and jack the car up and then see if you can get any movement by pulling and pushing on the tyre.
I think you would know what i mean and if the bearings need adjustment you will soon know.

Graeme ;)

Geoff_Atkinson
13-11-2006, 03:26 PM
The best way to adjust something on a Mitsubishi is to adjust the whole thin into a Toyota!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

kelo
13-11-2006, 08:10 PM
you'll also need to get inner hub seals if you are going to repack the bearings and i,m pretty sure they have a circlip and shims on the driveshaft. once you got them off the hub will come off. two srews undo. pull round plate off. then undo round nut..will need to remove brake caliper. then u should be able to remove disc with bearings. when adjusting wheel bearings tighten it up then back it off then tighten up agian without to much force, reassemble as it come apart. good idea to use a sealer on outsibe plate to stop water, with wheel on u can make sure there is no movement. good luck. dont be frightened. hope this helps.

sooty66
17-11-2006, 08:08 AM
My advice, take it to a Professional, sometimes its not good to play with things we know "a little abotu". Murphys law will bite you in the ass at about 80kph on the freeway. I've got a 2004 Challenger and I wouldn't do anything myself that entails removing discs, calipers etc. Might want to check with your insurance to, I think there is something there that might void you insurance if work is completed by an unqualified tradesperson and results in defect or an accident.

Plus its not worth listening to the missus go on and on and on about what you should have done in the first place