PDA

View Full Version : Soft Plastic Jew On Monday

flickflack
25-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Guys
Me and Benny J went for a drive down to the Richmond River on Monday to flick a few plastics around. We arrived at the ramp at about 5 and after a bit of a drive noticed that there was bait everywhere. There were quite a few trevally working bait but we were specifically fishing with larger plastics so they weren't really an option. We concentrated on the Deeper water and Benny scored the first fish, a flattie of 65cm. We got a few more around the 50cm range. The wind really started to blow up with the run in tide but we persevered with the softies and I pinned a nice jewie at about 930 on a 4 inch Atomic Shad. I hardly knew that it had picked up the plastic it took so softly. All the fish were spewing up heaps of bait so they were not really feeding. We were both briefly connected to jewies later in the day but dropped them, probably because they werent really hitting them properly and as the weather really started to get foul Bennie got a good size Tailor. Other than the weather it was a good day on the water and a worthwhile trip.

Good Fishing Roderick.

flickflack
25-10-2005, 09:29 AM
A close up

flickflack
25-10-2005, 09:30 AM
The Rig ready to head home :(

MJ
25-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Nice one Rod. I also tried for jewies at the Pin, But without any luck. Cheers Mike.

shut_up_and_fish
25-10-2005, 09:53 AM
nice fish mate..........i lived in that area briefly and tried in earnest to nail a jewie but had no luck.........looks like you may have been up around the ferry??

MJ
25-10-2005, 10:01 AM
For jewies do you do the slow lift and drop or quick jerk with the sp's. Thanks. Mike.

JB
25-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Good fish rod, how long does it take you to get to the river from tweed?

JB

stunnedmullet
25-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Nice fish Rod. May just take some sp's with me this weekend ;)
I have the same boat, wish I caught as many fish as you do in yours. Stability awesome :)
The mullet

flickflack
25-10-2005, 11:16 AM
JB
About an hour

MJ

Yeah mate slow lift and drop,I dont shake shake the rod at all. Try a few different methods on the day. Most important is the sp must do the right thing . Mustnt fall too fast or too slow. I constantly change jighead size as the current speeds up or slows down.

gogecko
25-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Yes, Im changing sinkers and jig heads a lot more often, since I saw your 'snap on' setup Rod. Thanks for inspiring me. I found some snap on swivels which I use to change jigheads, and I found a running sinker 'quick change' which looks like a spring wound around the line.

Changing sinker wieghts more often now that I dont have to tie knots, and its helping me keep contact with the bottom.

No jews in the mid reaches of the Coomera yet, maybe they are at the river mouth after the fresh.

Scott15
25-10-2005, 03:37 PM
nice fish rod, got a few against ya name now, well done

jackash
25-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Top stuff Rod yet another awesome fish. What sort of water depth was that in?
Cheers
Jackash

flickflack
25-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Ash

It was in about 26ft of water just before it dropped down to about 35ft. The fish ate the lure right on the bottom .

Cheers Rod

foggy
25-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Well done mate. You seem to have those jew sorted out down there. We only fluke ours

Point_Blank
25-10-2005, 06:45 PM
yeh it was a good day rods we worked hard but in return caught a nice fish if only there were biting properly then we may have landed a couple more.

cheers
benny j

matthill80
25-10-2005, 06:47 PM
top fish rod ...again hehe well done to u and benny again

cheers matt

vertico
25-10-2005, 06:57 PM
sweet
you get those plastics ok ?

flickflack
25-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Vertico
Yup thanks mate, have already got a few fish on them.

Benny J
Was a good day mate must do it again. Still think we should have gone straight to the Tweed after for a jack fish before that big storm.

Franco
26-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Top effort Guys. Nice fish!
Roderick your enthusiasm is something else mate!!

;)

Drove past The Richmond recently ... geez it looks like an excellent area to fish after the continuously busy waters of the Gold Coast!

Off to Weipa tomorrow so might drop you boys a line from there if we hook up any beauties!

Gotta admit I have one regret about going to weipa at the moment ..... the conditions for jack fishing down here at the moment are awesome!!!

Catch ya soon boys. 8-)

flickflack
26-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Franco

Good luck up there mate, I think Brad was trying to get a few plugs off us for someone going to Weipa, I take it that must be you. I will have a scratch around and see if I have a few spare.

Good fishing

Benno
26-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Ah the Flack does it again...

john_steward
26-10-2005, 11:13 AM
fantasic fish
hows the mug shot! brilliant!

vince
26-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Yes we landed one on monday as well and lost two on plastics.
I was fly fishing for them but no touches on the fly,
vince.

gogecko
26-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Vince mate, thats a monster. What length is he? Did he go the magic metre?
Is that Southport seaway? I might be there tomorrow AM.

regards
Andrew

damons33
26-10-2005, 03:56 PM
rod, what have you found to be the best "action/style" to work your softies for jews? do you get them on the drop like snapper offshore?
damon

flickflack
26-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Damon

99% of the jewies take the SP on the drop, mate i dont do much with the rod other than cast out and once the lure is on the bottom I just lift it about a metre of and let it drop again. All the way to the boat and then same again. Very boring but thats how I get them . I have done this for three hours sometimes with not even a tap and then got 2 fish in two casts. If I use a jerk minnow then I give it a bit of an erratic action with the rod but the shads I just let them swim down. Watch the line VERY VERY closely because all you might get is a flick while the sp is dropping and if you dont hit then they will spit it out. I have already been fishing and checked my lure to see that it is still rigged correctley and found puncture holes in it, A jew had bit it without me even seeing or feeling anything.
Good Luck there Mate.

Point_Blank
27-10-2005, 01:58 PM
roderick
i think we should swing down to the river for a jack with this heat that should be on the chew

benny j

flickflack
27-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Benny J

Sorry mate went with Toppy this morning and hammered the bass on surface. Will be too tired to go tom, maybe you can twist Steves arm to go in the morn,he didnt go out today.

Rod

Point_Blank
27-10-2005, 05:25 PM
nah i think i must go to school coz they just called and asked why i never go so i said maybe u should call flickflack

;)benny j

DICER
28-10-2005, 06:58 AM
very nice fish there guys!