PDA

View Full Version : Big Crays

cyclone
25-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Just spent the weekend at Kurramine beach. Sunday morning went for a quick run out to Adelaide reef in search of some cray we got 5, two were quite large the biggest 3.6kg.We left the trout alone as I have a few fillets in the freezer, but my mate Mark did get a nice Jack. Also of note was the large amount of Barramundi cod we saw around 7 for the morning and some around 75cm long and 1 Maori Wrasse about as big as my kitchen door it was good to see as these are both spectacular fish close up under water. Cheers Andrew.

cyclone
25-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Kids with Crays.

cyclone
25-10-2005, 09:14 AM
Blokes with crays and Jack.

zedjack33
25-10-2005, 09:21 AM
absolutely bloody brilliant ;)

MJ
25-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Unbelievable crays. Very impressive.

kleiny
25-10-2005, 10:00 AM
there some monster crays. :o
kleiny

Fishinmishin
25-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Don't let Bugman see them ones ;). AWESOME :o.
Cheers, Jay

Mick
25-10-2005, 01:48 PM
I think one of them crays IS bugman....

agnes_jack
25-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Yummo!!
Well done :D

Regards, Tony

outsiderskip
25-10-2005, 04:21 PM
whow arent they beautys

cheers pete

devocean
25-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Bet those big ones were chewy, use to dive that reef with my old man when I was a young tacker, used to get heaps of crays on the big isolated white headed bombies. Looks like it is still producing as for the barra cod, protected for their beauty is crap they look so much better with 7mm of steel through the head I reckon

bugman
26-10-2005, 08:03 AM
It's alright fellas... I'm in a better mood this week.

I've booked my trip to Tassie in the new year for nearly 3 weeks and the Crays are already starting to quake ;D ;D ;D

However I feel there has been way too much posting of Cray pics on this site and as yet the mailman hasn't delivered any cooler boxes with cray tails to my house. >:(

Obviously there's a breakdown in communication somewhere so I'll just remind everyone.

20% of every cray catch must be delivered to me within 3 days of capture. Post it to the ABC brisbane and I'll do the rest.

Failure to adhere to these rules could result in personal inury - or worse - being banned from AUSFISH. (I have friends in high places)

You have been warned ;)

chemmy
26-10-2005, 08:29 AM
wow :o those crays are crazy did you get them next to a nuclear power plant or something

Mick
26-10-2005, 10:57 AM
What fifth of the cray would you like Brett? I only need the tail and maybe an antenna or 2. Our boat only managed 2 on the week end.... but since I am unaware of the 3 day expiry date, I wish to apply for exemtion (not extension) for this occaision.

Chemmy, too much simpsons is a good thing!

bugman
27-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Mick,

I may be in a nice mood but DON'T PUSH IT ;D

Seriously would you be interested in taking me for a run one weekend. Some time in the new year I might fly up for a couple of days and see how you northerners do it.

Mick
27-10-2005, 09:51 AM
We don't do it any different to you guys in the south. We still poke bon fires with our private parts, eat our weet bix with cold XXXX beer instead of milk, wrestle crocodiles (only if they are bad), bleed rum, walk around with guns the size of chemmy and own 37 bull mastiff cross red heelers.

On a serious note, yes, would be pleasure to take you diving, just give me some reasonable notice.

Mick

Mick
27-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Maybe we could have an ausfish dive Meet and greet sometime in the new year. Since there are a few of us around the Townsville, Cairns, Bowen area.

Off the top of my head, we could probably twist the arms of Devocean, Leo, Bugman, cyclone, myself, after7, etc.

I think some of the Cairns guys like Daintree boy and Ron do a bit of diving as well. Not 100% sure, but it seems familiar to associate them with spearing for some reason.

Maybe chemmy would like to treck north for it as well. Doug hanning could be a possibility, but he would probably out spear us 100 - 1.

I have probably missed a few others as well.

Who would be keen if the date and time suit?

Leo_N.
27-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Very keen. Are you guys keen to show off your Bowen spots or are we better off waiting for a good reef day?

Mick
27-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I think the reef would have to be the target, but the inshore Bowen area is not a bad second choice. Other options could be the inshore reef at camp Island. Alot of dive comps are held here because the fish life is prolific (mainly Island trout) and the reef is very big so it reduces the chance of shooting your best mate, which is sometimes a good thing.

bugman
27-10-2005, 12:40 PM
I think we're on to something Mick,

Flights are cheap with Virgin and Jetstar making it a reasonable proposition for more of the southerners.

Some time in the new year - maybe Feb etc. Jan is going to be busy chasing crays in tassie then catching Marlin down here.

Brett

Mick
27-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, Ok, we'll see how much intrest is shown and then we can organise something. If we can make it to Feb or March it would suit diving up here a bit better. If we get alot of rain or a couple of cyclones then we will have to wait until the water clears, which can take a while. BUT, the reef is almost always clear, so that is the better option through summer.

devocean
28-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Im in