PDA

View Full Version : 1770 Trip 24-30th October

Custaro
06-11-2005, 09:02 PM
After a week back at work some free time to report on a fantastic trip to 1770. The first week or our holidays was spent at Mooloolaba and nothing to report here...the missus wouldn't let me take the boat and only limited fishing gear.

Second week of holidays hit the highway early Monday morning for 1770 with boat in tow. Almost got to Gympie and Harry Hilux starts getting the jitters. Took it easy for a while and found a found a North bound Victorian caravan to settle in behind. That even blew me away after a few hills. Problem didn't come back until we were just outside Bundaberg. Got really bad here for last 10-20km into town. Got to servo and discovered fuel pump leaking heaps of oil. Simple plan, go to Repco, get a new pump, some oil and new fuel filter. Parked under a shady tree and got to work. 3hrs later still not going again after a few attempted fittings. Kate is starting to lose it and holidays were becoming not too much fun. Called some local mechanics to come have a look and see if I missed anything. Finally, after a heap of calls we finally get one. Repeated the fitting a couple more times, checked most necessary things and still no go. Was getting late so it was decided to put the old pump back in. Started up no probs. Took the new one back to Repco as it was decided between us that it didn't work. I could have picked this up earlier if I knew exactly what I was doing...I just read the Gregory's manual and get by. Limped off to 1770 and arrived at the camp grounds just before 8pm. Not the best of trips up but at least we got there. Better late than never.

I was really annoyed and still am, to find out the following day that the fuel pump supplied to me by Repco was recalled from manufacturer some time ago. A lot of good time wasted. Sorted out a genuine Toyota pump to turn up that week. Luckily old pump was still good enough to get around ok. The other thing that pissed me off was that the genuine pump was $8 cheaper that the Repco one. Who would have thought?? Have learnt my lesson now and will consider a genuine part before buying a non-genuine.

Tuesday we set up the full camp site properly in-between a number of phone calls chasing the fuel pump. After sorting out Harry my attention turned to the fishing. Dropped into see Tony at Agnes Bait Tackle & Dive. A big thanks to you Tony for the info where the fish are, how to get around in the estuary and the assistance with the fuel pump. Day two down and still hadn’t wet a line.

Wednesday morning and the boat in the water and the plan was to check out the front for macks. The weather was too messy so had to turn around and collect the crab pots from the camp. Took them up the estuary and did a bit of exploring around. It worked out useful as I got a track on the GPS of the deeper channels. #Made it heaps easier getting around later on in the week. 3 days down and not a scale in the boat. A little concerning but the place is so beautiful and was having a heap of relaxing fun that it didn’t bother me.

Thursday up early and the weather was fantastic! Too bad our heads weren’t so good after a big night before. Heading over the bar and Kate got a bit of a shock on how the conditions change so quick and got a little upset about the whole idea and the fact she got a bit tossed around up the front. Bloody women! Anyway once out started trolling a pair of lures. Things were pretty slow, the sounder was showing a number of bait schools mid water and there were a few small patches of bonito working the top. After about 30mins got first strike and a nice spottie was soon in the boat. Changed up a gear and trolled a large pike around without any luck. Shortly after got a small doggie on a lure. Kate was getting very shirty and had enough. She wasn’t enjoying the trolling and it was a little bit sloppy to drift and throw spoons about. My arm was twisted and we headed back to camp for breaky. Later that morning in to see Tony who had collected my new fuel pump from the local courier. Fitted the new pump and Harry was given a new lease of life. Headed up the estuary at lunch time and checked pots. Only a few sand crabs, but of good size. Showed Kate how to work hard body lures and she picked it up really well. A few casts later and she caught her first flathead on lure about 45cm. Another drift over the same sand bar and she was into it again. This time she was onto a much better fish, a very nice flathead of 60cm. The look on her face was of total astonishment when I told her it was going back. She wasn’t happy.

We had become good friends with a family from Bribie camping in the park also and invited them over for a feed of mackerel. Amazingly they had never eaten mackerel before and had the impression it wasn’t good eating. I think they even had chicken on standby back at their own camp. After dinner they were very impressed and the chicken wasn’t required.

Friday morning and the weather was even better. Got out the front and trolled lures, thew slugs and only managed to hook up onto a small bonito. Spent the rest of the day visiting my Aunty down near Baffle Ck who was very disappointed I didn’t deliver the fresh fish I promised. Returned that afternoon to check the crab pots which didn’t produce any takers but plenty of undersize and jennies.

Saturday and our last full day. Took it easy for most of the day and planned to fish some holes in the creeks later in the day. The family we had become friends with followed us up in their boat and I caught enough live bait for all of us. In the creek there was a heap of action right in amongst the mangroves with some big fish smashing into bait very regularly. My first live bait that got within a few feet of the mangroves was instantly smashed by a small cod. Things went a bit quiet for a while with only pickers getting into the livies being fished on the bottom. My reel later screamed off with a small trevally. The mossies and sandflies were getting pretty thick and the family soon motored over and managed a nice mangrove jack that they were over the moon about. Not a bad effort as I they were fishing with more suitable for bream and whiting with 4lb line. They gave me the fish as they didn’t know what to do with it and headed back to camp to prepare the salad and get some drinks cold.

Sunday came around and we were not very happy about leaving this magnificent place. Though we have started planning our trip there next year and dump the apartment holiday for a full two weeks there. Can’t wait!

Clayton