PDA

View Full Version : Good Fishing at the Sunshine Coast Classic

SeaSaw
06-11-2005, 10:42 PM
We had a great weekend of fishing in the Sunshine Coast River to Reef Fishing Competition. We tried to go out Friday Night but conditions were horrible so we turned around and got some sleep instead. Saturday morning provided teh chance to get out and the conditions ended up being great out at the Banks but the fishing was slow to start with.

Saw Jeffo (I thing) in a Kevla Cat 3400 out on the 18 mile bait grounds where we were jigging up some livies. I can never tell if it is Jeffo or not as he gets around a bit and is always on a different boat. ::) ;D

We jigged up some livies and Johno also jigged up a pearly which ended up winning the Pearly category of the comp. ::) Pretty impressive capture on a no 14 hook ..... it went 3.6kg.

That afternoon the fish really came on at the Banks with Snapper, Parrot, Amberjack and Kingies all hitting the deck. ;D ;D ;D We started releasing snapper before we hit the bag limit as we were searching for a XOS one. Sunday morning saw the same thing with the snapper really turning it on. We must have released at least a dozen. I dropped a snapper estimated between 8 and 9kg when it took one last run near the surface. :( That one would have won the Snapper Category easily.

We had a great time at the comp, caught some quality fish, and took out a prize. Now I need to get some sleep. I'll put a more detailed report into the next B&B.

Pics to follow.

Cheers,

Mark

SeaSaw
06-11-2005, 10:43 PM
The winning Pearly

SeaSaw
06-11-2005, 10:47 PM
This is the bait jig it was caught on ... the bent hook is the one the Pearly was landed on. Who says you need big bait for big fish :o ;D ;D ;D

SeaSaw
06-11-2005, 10:48 PM
AJ that went 15.6kg

SeaSaw
06-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Kingy

SeaSaw
06-11-2005, 10:50 PM
One on many snapper between 3 and 4.5kg. #This ended up being our best at 4.7kg

SeaSaw
06-11-2005, 10:51 PM
One more snapper pic

outsiderskip
07-11-2005, 05:41 AM
good fishing mark
pity about 1snapper that
got awaythat a big jig for
catching livies on

cheers pete

jeffo
07-11-2005, 05:51 AM
yep mark, that was me in the bridge of the cat. well spotted ;D

did you get the pearly where we were jigging? we ended up with a sail and a 10kg mahi mahi on that spot.

Scott15
07-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Good fish mark :o

620sf
07-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Good effort mark, conditions were very average first thing in the morning which made us push our way down to wide Cal instead of pushing out to the banks. spewing about dropping a good snapper but at least you won one category. Did you stay out saturday night?

Luke

dfox
07-11-2005, 11:17 AM
No wonder you were to busy to talk on the radio mark, nice fish and well done! talk to you when your not so occupied next time ,lol. catch ya...foxy

SeaSaw
07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Jeffo, the pearly was caught further south on another spot on the 18mile that we had been to. Couldn't get any bait at that spot just big pearlies ;D I'm interested in the choice of outboards for that big kevlacat given the type of work it is doing ...... but it sounds like it is still raising some good fish.

Luke, yeh we spend Saturday night out there. It was a bit ordinary but managed a few hours sleep.

Dave, I was on with a fish when you called, so couldn't get to the radio. Talk soon.

BTW if anyone finds two floats joined to one of those one way clips floating around they are mine. Some how they managed to release themselves from the rope during the night ..... conditions really were a bit ordinary ;D

Cheers,

Mark

fritzy
08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
What is doing with that pearly.
Unbelieveable!! Thats the best part about fishing - the freaks that seem to happen all the time.
Congrats,
Fritzy