PDA

View Full Version : WIDE CALOUNDRA, WEDNESDAY, 9-11-05

bignick
10-11-2005, 08:13 AM
With another weather window narrowly ajar, the original plan was to head up to Hutchies in search of a Wahoo or 2, but the plan was changed to head to Wide Caloundra for a fish. Deckie for the day was Dean (Sackrash) and we hooked the mighty V-SEA up and left my place just after midnight Tuesday night, which saw us on the water just after 0230 Wednesday morning. There was a little bit of a roll on on the way out, not that much breeze though. We were on the grounds in what would have been daylight had the sun been able to break through the clouds and rain. It rained on and off all day, with some very heavy showers and some decent wind with the little squalls. When it wasn't raining, it was quite pleasant. With the thick cloud cover and the rain, it was impossible to see the mainland and one ship wasn't that far away when he first came into view. Anyway, the fishing was slow first up, with only undersize Rosy Jobfish making an appearance. We soldiered on all day and got very wet. The fish played a bit more later on. Dean on the paternoster rig was slaying all 'n' sundry, whilst I on the floater had not even troubled the scorers. Dean finished up "bagging out" on decent Parrot, as well as grabbing a lovely Grinner, followed by a brilliant Seargent Baker. He also got a couple of "just under" Red Emperor, whereas I could not even entice the scorers to pick up their pencils, let alone strike a mark on my score card. In other words, I came up empty, scored the duck, the big fat zero. I got comprehensively pantsed by the visiting deckie, a situation that I will be reminded of for a long time, of that I am quite sure. I did manage to drop two big fish, but big hits are hard to get a fillet off, so they don't count. We left just after midday, had a couple of drops on the way home, hit the ramp just after 1400, which got us back to my place just after 1600. We cleaned the boat and Dean quickly skulked away with his catch and headed home, no doubt to be nagged by his bride about the things he does and the company he keeps. No photos, as there is nothing photo-worthy to show.

Cheers,
NICK.

Spectre
10-11-2005, 01:02 PM
G'day Nick

That sounds like a top effort stickin it out for that long.....given the weather conditions..etc 8-)

Hope the deckie shared a few fish with ya ?? ::) :o

Theres always next time tho.... ;D ;D

Cheers

Phil

kitty_cat
10-11-2005, 01:11 PM
nick
got out yesterday as well , no break in the rain off the cape seen outlaw charters head for hutchies both were back around cape well before lunch, could see the great sunsine inside the bay but no relief offshore , plenty of fish on the sounder but just to ordinary conditions to fish :'(.
wayne

gunna
10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Whats a "lovely grinner". I can't tell whether you are pulling our legs - or you eat big grinners :o :o.

sackrash
10-11-2005, 04:26 PM
No grinners come back to the deckies house, wasnt so long back we were throwing the parrot back as they were the neighbours fish.
OH and by the way did Nick mention he got "PANTSED"
LMAO nomatter what the poor bugger did it just didnt work out on the day, I keep tellin him all you need is a good tin of sardines for brekky and the fish come on board and all is ok, and by the way get that bloody rig on the bottom and stop floating.
All in all a long day but its better than going to work and Nicks humour seems to keep me amused between bites, better luck next time champ.
Pantsed, nothing, zero, zilch, nought, zippo,

Rashy

DALEPRICE
10-11-2005, 05:25 PM
caloundar wide has been very hit and miss
for us over the past month, so your not the
only one who has come home with a unhealthy esky :o
top effort
dale

bignick
10-11-2005, 05:27 PM
The terms "lovely Grinner" and "brilliant Seargent Baker" are definite leg pulls. I don't think I could ever be hungry enough to eat either of those.

Cheers,
NICK.

rocket
10-11-2005, 08:45 PM
A sergeant baker is just another form of grinner to me ... I know they are meant to be good bait, but I don't reckon the fish like them that much either. No squire, pearlies or legal rosies is a bit unusual for wide c!?!? Better luck and conditions next time. Pity you didn't include the grinner pics :)

skippa
10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Don't worry Nick,

Mate and I where out Monday from M'ba, conditions pretty ordinary too. Great shows on the sounder but no fish boated, saw some big ships too and they came way too close.

Ended up at Old Woman Is for more rubbish fish and unfortunately we didn't even lift the lid of the esky, except to get out a coldie or 2.

Better luck next trip.

Cheers,
Tony 8-)