PDA

View Full Version : It was meant to be a marlin trip

bugman
14-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Gday all,

Had a reliable source tell me of six sailfish hook-ups off Noosa recently. The best part of the story was that "Bait was Everywhere".

We'll I challenged that reliable source to "Show me" so with Ian (finding time) and Jeffo (Jeffo :-X) on board Bogey crossed the very very placid Noosa bar at about 6:00am Sunday.

A run to a few of the marks found us struggling to find bait. A spread was put out the back with Jeffo working magic on the swimming and skip gar as we searched for bait schools. A couple of little shows yielded bugger all and after an hour or so it was decided to move on.

Not long after a little Hoo to Jeffo had a us interested but it was a loner. Working towards some other marks took a couple of hours and we searched every nook and cranny for bigger bait schools that may be holding fish. Closer to the headland another Hoo jumped on but I dropped it at the boat as my leader knot gave way (What a wally :-[ :-[)

Moving wider we found some small bait patches again but down low and scattered. We kept trolling and trolling before finally deciding to livebait the small showings. With slimies on board the baits went down but nothing really happening. Ian has weight but brings up a 35 cm moses pearch. Jeff has a better run on the 6kg outfit and it fights stubborn down low. We're calling everything from shark to cobe to bottom and when someone offered pearlie he was severely chastised. Low and behold 10mins later a 6kg (that's right weighed on new scales) pearlie hit the decks. We looked at each other an considered anchoring and baitfishing but as Ian pointed out "It was meant to be a marling trip". Jeffo hooked another decent fish but turned out to be a big stubborn mac tuna.

Lures went out again and it was a slow troll home for no hits. The bar was placid with weather remaining calm all day.

Still a good day despite no target species - but on the bright side I have a new pearlie mark.

Bugman

Jeffo with the world's skinniest hoo

bugman
14-11-2005, 09:14 AM
This man knows his stuff and as a result had his rod bending more than most.

bugman
14-11-2005, 09:16 AM
The things you find chasing pelagics

Streaker
14-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Well done Brett. Don't take them all I will need some for my Xmas holidays. The pelargics start to come on thick next month and I hope to be in the middle of it. What side of the mouth is the entrance on now and how was the water depth over the bar.
Wayne

Billo
14-11-2005, 09:20 AM
bloody beautiful out there !!!

bugger about the bills ...even with Jeffo onboard you couldn't find em .....Bugger

That is one HELL of a pearly though !

620sf
14-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Top Pearlie jeffo, conditions don't look that bad at all out there. Hopefully the next couple of weeks should see the surface fish showing up alittler thicker.

JB
14-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Well done boys, that its a bonus and a half ! 6kg of prime eating pearly, enough there for all 3 of u ;)

Nice fish jeffo :)

JB

morty103
14-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Thats a big pearlie.
Shame about the marlin not being around
Morty

Kid
14-11-2005, 10:55 AM
That's the best pearlie that i have seen mate

BEST CHEWIN IN THE OCEAN IF YOU ASK ME

Whatever
14-11-2005, 01:05 PM
thats a very nice looking pearlie

Big_Ren
14-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Hurley burley now that's a Pearly ;D Top effort there Jeffo. Once those big fellas open their gobs it's like pulling up a bucket of water, and at 6kgs, that's a big bucket o' fun..

Cheers
Paul

Sandman
14-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Brett,
got a get knot in those leaders mate !! Dont worry i to have lost many a good fish to a bad knot.

CamH
14-11-2005, 02:49 PM
Couple of good fish there anyway Bugman even if they don't have long noses. Did the wahoo take the swimming or skipping gar (or lure)?

finding_time
14-11-2005, 02:51 PM
DOH

finding_time
14-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Ok ok lets all take a big breath and calm down it's not a pearlie its a Big Eyed Silver Marlin it was a billfish trip remember, no reef fish were seen just some previously undiscovered varieties of marlin.

Its the last time i mention seeing heaps of bait in a certain area. It's that bl00dy Irishmans fault ,a #curse on you Murphy >:( >:( >:(

Ps. the self gaff shot on that hoo was one of the best i've seen gaffed and brain spiked all in the one motion nice work jeffo

vertico
14-11-2005, 03:00 PM
top notch pearly

chemmy
14-11-2005, 03:56 PM
ripsnoter pearly there mate how heavy was the wahoo??

bugman
14-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Jeffo maye have caught it - I'm gunna eat it ;D ;D ;D

Wayne, It's the first time I've crossed the bar in 4 years but Ian's been over a fair bit recently. The channel is sort of towards the left as you go out. The biggest problem is there's no deep water access over the back bank - it's shallow all the way across. There's no way I'd be coming in towards low with any sort of swell. You'd hit the bottom as easy as - especially in a bigger boat.

Chemmy, the hoo would have only gone about 5-6kg.

Cam, Jeffo's hoo took a skipping gar. The second hook-up came as we dropped back the swimming gar after a check. It hit the swimming gar on the drop back but let go. It then nailed a little orange pusher lure which was running long on the shotgun. Must have pissed it off as it went passed.

jeffo
14-11-2005, 06:58 PM
thanks again for the trip brett. hope to do some more fishing with you as summer rolls along. maybe help you to get leanne (and others) their first billfish.

hope the pearly tastes a treat 8-)

Burley_Boy
14-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Good stuff Brett and happy chomping :)
I still find it a bit of a trick to figure out exactly where I place the lure when I troll especially if I'm driving, I just loose track of it. What have you found to be the best way to get them to sit at roughly the same distance or don't you reckon it matters too much?

jeffo
14-11-2005, 07:59 PM
the lures and baits we troll are all visable from the boat, if your talking about deep diving lures then working it out is a bit harder. you could mark the line with some floss or something. or just take an estimated guess. different free spool times will stagger them well enough.

Thunderbird
14-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I saw you heading north on the freeway sunday morning. Yeah it was me in the ford with the haines on the back!
At the speed you were going i guess you were running late!
P.s I told the dolphins about you......
Cheers birdy!

scrub1975
14-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Better than nothing bugman.....nice pearlie too!
Scrub

SeaSaw
14-11-2005, 09:41 PM
AT least you came home with a ripper pearly #;D ;D #

Jeffo, was it caught at the same area we ran into you the other week. #If it was, that area has produced some good pearlies lately #:o

Mark #

Good_as_Gold
15-11-2005, 05:46 AM
Top pearly mate, they should be here very soon.

jeffo
15-11-2005, 05:55 AM
mark- didnt end up anywhere near where we saw you last weekend. further north.

bugman
15-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Roota,

Had me thinking all day - who the hell was in that ford towing a signiture. I don't know anyone who owns a signature.

Speed what speed ::) Just showing you the power of the new souped up Landy. Goes like a rocket ;D

Thanks Jeff and Ian for a great trip. I don't think it will be our last.

Bugman