PDA

View Full Version : Gove trip

staggy
20-11-2005, 08:15 AM
G-day everyone.
Well we are back from a week in Gove and im not lookin forward to going back to work tomorow.
The fishing was a little slow but we all had a ball.
Im not a diehard reef fisher but the variety of fish that come up from the bottom make it an enjoyable day out.
We only done one day on the reefs and the other four checkin out the harbour. We caught heaps of nice Jack's around the several rock islands as the tide was on its way out. I almost managed a ripper coral trout as well but the bugga was giving me heaps and I thought I was going to break my rod trying to turn him. I did get it's head round once and almost back to the tinny but just when I thought I'd won the bugga headed for home and 2 seconds later it was all over. I did get my lure back though.
We spotted another trout a few minutes later and shot our lures out for a go at it, but a couple of Jacks decide they wanted our lures more. What a bugga of a place to fish eh.
I caught my first fingermark on lure as well this trip. All the barra were small but fun.
A 2.5mtr croc decided to keep one of the brother-in-laws lures. 30lb braid just wasnt strong enough to land the bugga.
BJ was playing in a trevally when only a few mtrs from the tinny a 6 foot shark nailed the fish. 10 seconds later BJ was down to the backing on his reel. So we chased the shark to get the line back. Talk about laugh, the only reason we wernt cut off was the lure was wedged in the corner of the sharks mouth. Got the line back but we let the shark keep the lure to remember us by.

We dropped into Faust on our way back home. Had a couple ripper session chuckin poppers. Only 4 barra landed with several dropped. Best fish went 1.14mtrs.

C YA

Staggy

staggy
20-11-2005, 08:17 AM
nice trout

aussiefool
20-11-2005, 09:47 AM
gotta love Gove don't chaa ;D ;D ;D I worked up there for 6 mths a few years ago, only land based but so so much fun. Gove was the first time I cought a jack and as I already had a queenie on ice for tea I gave it away :-[ Misses still gives me heaps for that but the bloke I gave it to was stocked.
Well done mate would love to go back again
Aussiefool

outsiderskip
20-11-2005, 10:46 AM
hi staggy
some nice quality fish there
good eating

cheers pete

cuzzamundi
20-11-2005, 01:35 PM
some great fish there mate. beaut jack! great to see you got your first fingermark - great eating ay?! great sport too. well done, and cant wait to get up there myself.

cheers,

cuzza

Why-ting
21-11-2005, 12:00 PM
great fish mate, beautiful spot up there and fish everywhere. top story mate.