PDA

View Full Version : Noosa Bar

2iar
22-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Not a fishing report as such...

I just wanted to report that I made my fiirst ever bar crossing at Noosa on Saturday. Conditions were pretty good, though not quite perfect. 15knot S/E'er with an incoming tide. Perfect for a learner though.

I'm chuffed to bits with the comfort in which the Signature handled it - a few bumps on the way out, but on the way in, I just picked a wave and rode it all the way over. I hope it's always this easy...

Good luck,
Mike

Fishin_Dan
22-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Good to hear mate! Maybe we should allocate a weekend, and go up there for an overnighter!!!

How'd your bait board go? Did the missus see the lounge? ;)

Billo
22-11-2005, 01:37 PM
well done mate .....i doubt it will be that easy often .
I have croscrossing ...the slightest bit if easterly swell combined with arun out tide turns that into a washing machine !sed it a few times that seemed ' perfect ' on the way over , yet crapped myself on the return

Lacey
22-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Hi Bluedog here Ive lived in Noosa since I was 3 and have crossed the bar to go fishing for the last 15 years. Even when its flat and at high tide I still put my car keys in my pocket and have that feeling in my gut. I never go through if I think I can surf it as it has the tendency to double up and freak waves are very comman. Any way good on you let me know if your going fishing out of noosa Im heading to Victor bailies this Thursday.
Bluedog

gavsgonefishing
22-11-2005, 04:10 PM
That bar can be a funny one,wait for the holidays there is always someone who misjudges it and ends up belly up. We've pulled a few boats in danger over the years. even seen the coastguard high and dry not that long ago, and theyve been over it a few times.

We lost a windscreen courtesy of one of those back greenies. It made the trip out very quiet.

2iar
22-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Good to hear mate! Maybe we should allocate a weekend, and go up there for an overnighter!!!

How'd your bait board go? Did the missus see the lounge? ;)

Yeah mate, let's do that. I've got a few GPS marks. I wasn't allowed to try them as the wife was getting a bit scared in the swell once we got outside...

Baitboard is good - it looks great and has 4 additional rodholders, but hindsight's a great thing - I'd add some sensible drainage RATHER THAN HAVE THE OFFAL SPILL ON THE AFOREMENTIONED LOUNGE :D

Never mind - the Haines boys sent me a "welcome aboard" cleaning pack (unsolicited). Got all the good gear for cleaning the hull, SS and lounges. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Also managed 30 knots up river from the barge, so overall I'm stoked.

Mike

Fishin_Dan
22-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Excellent! Good to hear mate!

I've got a few marks for out there as well... Between us we should be able to catch all the grinners & undersize cr@p in the area!!! ;D ;D ;D

Let me know whenever you want to go!!!

I thought after while that the red lounge looked odd in the white boat... Then I realised it was the bits of pillies working their wonder on it! So lucky she didn't see it!!! ;D

Fishin_Dan
22-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

<---------------------- Platinum baby! ;D

mjc85
22-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Yeh the Noosa bar can be scary at times, but if you cross it regularly you get pretty confidence well thats what i have found by crossing it in a 3.5m Quintrex explorer with a 6hp :D That was until i got the 15hp but yeh, its only really dangerous on a low tide with a bit of a swell because the swell jacks right up when it hits the sand bank out at the back of the bar.

finding_time
22-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Yep ! And that sand bank out the back goes all the way across at the moment and is very shallow with no gaps so it pays to be a little bit careful ;)