PDA

View Full Version : The deckie does it alone.

bidkev
22-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Kids at school and deckie's day off so we decided to head for the pine so that she could familiarise herself with the workings of the new tinny and tiller steering. Only intended to stay a couple of hours but I took a couple of rods and the cast net in case she got bored cruisin' ;D

Started crap as we arrived at Deepwater bend to find the ramp shut for 48hrs. Why they're putting another pontoon in when it is only a single ramp is anyone's guess. The workers said that as far as they know, only the pontoon is going in :o ::) Headed for Dohles ramp.

Not as many prawns as last week but we stiill managed a feed along with some nice mullet. Fished a herring and a blue shad on the drift for an hour resulting in a flatty on each at 48 and 42 which were released

Went to spot x for the last half hour and the deckie managed to catch this. Not a brilliant fish but it gave her a run for her money on 4lb line. I insisted she land it and net it herself and she insisted on keeping it :o It'll make a change from catty fillets I suppose ;D

kev

szopen
22-11-2005, 05:49 PM
It is not the size that matters.

I bet it will taste very good.

longtail
22-11-2005, 06:19 PM
good onyas kev ;)
it's a feed thats all that matters

cheers
jason

NeilD
22-11-2005, 06:29 PM
That answers the question about where to catch Trev's on the Northside doesn't it. They are good fun to catch.

Where did you get the Prawns? I have noticed the little green beam trawler back at the Highway bridge area.

Neil

bidkev
22-11-2005, 06:39 PM
That answers the question about where to catch Trev's on the Northside doesn't it. They are good fun to catch.

Where did you get the Prawns? #I have noticed the little green beam trawler back at the Highway bridge area.

Neil

Yeah mate, I'm absolutely dumbfounded that the Pine isn't protected from trawling. I saw the trawler tied up at Dohles this morning. I know the guys have to make a living but the river's a nursery and the by catch in such an enclosed area must be phenomenal. I've caught many juvenile trevors in the cast net so I dread to think what the trawler's doing to the (potential) stocks.

I've worked the "traditional" prawn areas to no avail and although it's early yet, I'm wondering if this is due to the trawling? It seems to much of a coincidence that I'm pulling the prawns from places that aren't available to the trawler, that is, upstream from the x marker which is upstream from Castle Hill.

Despite having always managed a few in the past, I haven't caught a bream on my last two trips out either :o

kev

shut_up_and_fish
23-11-2005, 11:37 AM
top stuff mate.............have only moved to taigum recently and have always been reluctant to fish the pine but it looks like it might be worthwhile for a couple hours........as i am a land lubber at this stage is there any decent spots off the bank.................also i noticed the royal navy head dress.........ex pusser are we...........

bidkev
23-11-2005, 12:05 PM
top stuff mate.............have only moved to taigum recently and have always been reluctant to fish the pine but it looks like it might be worthwhile for a couple hours........as i am a land lubber at this stage is there any decent spots off the bank.................also i noticed the royal navy head dress.........ex pusser are we...........

Ex regular Infantry, ex Royal Marine Reserve mate. The cap belonged to the father-in-law who had 43yrs service as Gunnery Officer on ships and ended his service as Barrack Master at Raleigh. The deckie is ex fleet air arm (aircraft mechanic). The f-i-l served as an exchange officer at HMAS Cerberus in Frankston, Victoria, and the deckie was born there. The word "pusser" brings back fond memories ;D

Yeah, I'm not too clued up on shore based other than I used to fish from Canterbury Park in the South Pine and under the highway bridge but I don't know if you can access that now since the highway upgrade. You can also fish from Deepwater Bend but the boat traffic buggers that at weekends. I notice people are also fishing from the lagoon bank below Castle Hill but that may be private access. Fishing from the beach at Dohles is also an option. Another spot (and I hear of a decent Jack there recently) which isn't too well known is near the small ramp behind Westfield Strathpine. You'll find that on the UBD as it isn't in the Creek to Coast.

cheers

kev

shut_up_and_fish
23-11-2005, 12:14 PM
ahhh the pusser............did my training in cerberus and was a frequent visitor to the cribb point rsl and kings at hastings........i am an ex RAN signalman.............and always a keen deckie as i have posted earlier..........

always good to talk to serviceman/woman. its like one big family.
anyways cheers

you may catch me down that way throwing a couple of lures so be sure and say hello.............i always wear the aptly named hat.......shut up and fish.......the missus has one too that is bright pink.....

cuzzamundi
23-11-2005, 04:58 PM
good little trevor kev. another pontoon? crikes that s unbelievable! yeah i dread to think what the trawlers are gonna do to the stocks in there. as you said, better off getting past the barge! far out behind westfield? thats great. was the jack decent size? bait or lure caught? thats a good sign. i heard another bloke at sandgate bait n tackle coupla months ago saying that they get em right up south pine river. might have to give it a whack when im back over chrissy. good you got another feed anyway.

cheers,

cuzza

ps

how are the bullies goen in there? many being caught? how bout off the pier? thanks mate.

bidkev
23-11-2005, 05:18 PM
<snip>

you may catch me down that way throwing a couple of lures so be sure and say hello.............i always wear the aptly named hat.......shut up and fish.......the missus has one too that is bright pink.....

I'll keep an eye open for you mate. If your with the missus you shouldn't be hard to spot ;D

kev

bidkev
23-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Cuzza, I haven't kept up on the shark fishing lately. Been too busy with the cast net :D There's been a few trevors caught lately and a huge increase in those bloody iodine bream. I'm wondering whether the trevors are indicative of better water. There's been little rain and therefore less pollutants getting washed into the system?

The jack that I heard about was indeed caught in the back and beyond of the south pine. If you follow it right round and hang a left at Canterbury park it opens up into a dead end lagoon that is absolutely still. UBD map 99 J16. I'd never been that way before and was surprised when I saw a bloke launching there. The river has actually come back on itself and is back parallel to the highway and you are on the southern side of the gravel workings at the bridge.

The bloke (one of the old time school who seemed to know his way around) was in there launching a little tinny from a makeshift gravel ramp (it may simply have been a beach) and he told me that he caught it on a small poddy float fished! He said it went an easy 2 kilos and tasted great :D He had a load of crab pots and it looked like he was sinking 'em as I didn't see any floats. Didn't see rego No's on his tinny either ;D

He was putting in from Barungwara reserve but there's no ramp on the UBD and it isn't all that clear how to access the reserve but I'm going to check it out for land based. You could easily cast well out along the snaggy banks of the lagoon from the reserve if you're land based. The herring in there were getting smashed when we went in but we disturbed whatever was going on there and I suppose the go would be to row in or leccy motor.

cheers

kev

DALEPRICE
23-11-2005, 05:57 PM
you hanging around the blocks kev ::)

bidkev
23-11-2005, 06:04 PM
you hanging around the blocks kev ::)

:question :question

DALEPRICE
23-11-2005, 06:13 PM
the concrete blocks on the bank just up past
the marker you were talking about???
it is a pretty well hit spot but there are a few other
holes around there.
dale

land_based
23-11-2005, 06:14 PM
When i had my tinny i launched from here. That area is very rich in poddeies and always easy to grab your bait for the day from there. Also nailed my first J around there. But make sure youre car is locked and out of the way, kids like to do skids in there cars down there and one kindly banged into my friends commo one night and took off. >:(

bidkev
23-11-2005, 07:11 PM
the concrete blocks on the bank just up past
the marker you were talking about???
it is a pretty well hit spot but there are a few other
holes around there.
dale

Gotcha dale. Yeah, I gave it a go there first but not for long as the deckie asked me to move. There was a terrible smell that was just like human sewage?? Just by the small creek/drain where the blocks start. I've never actually gone further than that as I always hit there at low and thought it was a bit shallow for kingtin. I'll be able to get further up now with the smaller tinny. There was small prawns skipping the surface there.

kev

DALEPRICE
23-11-2005, 07:56 PM
no worries kev,
that smell is from the papermill. it often hangs
around up there in the weekdays.
cheers dale

cuzzamundi
23-11-2005, 09:19 PM
gday kev,

thanks heaps, sounds like an ideal position! apparently they get some decent bullies right up there too. we normally get up near castle hill, but always meant to try there! i will be land based when i get back so i'll definitely give the lagoon reserve a go! be interesting to find out what was smashing the bait! thanks for the reports too - always great hearing how the pine is while im not there!

cheers,

cuzza

bidkev
23-11-2005, 09:19 PM
no worries kev,
that smell is from the papermill. #it often hangs
around up there in the weekdays. #
cheers dale

What do they do? recycle used toilet paper? ;D Jeeeez, it honks up there :o

kev