PDA

View Full Version : Curtian 24/11 - Cobia with whiskers ?!?

grunta_75
25-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Fished Curtian either side of the low on Thurs 24/11 with a mate....Had ribbish coming up over the side all morning, couldn't hook up on anything decent but couldn't keep anyting but flesh-baits on the hooks each drop. Got the right-royal sh*ts with this so started dragging lures for pelagics over the reef.

While we were doing this the sounder picked up this bommy NE of the reef & the fish alert started going nuts. Saved the mark and headed back there after a little trolling. Anchored up right over the spot and the fish alert is still going off. First drop we had, my mate missed a good hit and I had a terrific hit and the got snapped off on 30lb briad...Thinking shark or something similar so re-rigged with 120lb leader and dropped down again..

Next minuite BANG, I'm on...This thing starts peeling line off me with a good amount of drag set. I start making ground on it and all of a sudden it's off again....I call for my mate to pull up the anchor and start the outboard....This thing's still going and I call for the rod-bucket (mate straps this on for me) start making ground ob it again and it runs back down again...A few minutes later I'm making good ground and the mate asks 'Gaff or net?' I said dunno, get both ready...anyhow this thing starts coming arounf the stern & I see a flash of colour - browny grey & I'm thinkin' Cobia (I've never caught one and always wanted to) I call it as a cobe and call for the gaff - mate makes a great gaff and hauls it over the side.....

Fish falls to its side on the deck (I'm thinkin' that's funny, cobe should be able to sit flat on it's belly!?!) Then I spot the whiskers...............@#$%^& Catfish!!! biggest bloody catgfish I've ever seen...needles to say I was somewhat dissapointed....

Anyhow a great trip back across the bay at 45km/h with do dramas. Not a great day but sure beat mowing the lawn....

Cheers,
grunta.

Jay_S
25-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Good work mate, you don't always get what fish your after but its still
great fun catching them :) ;) :)

Jay [smiley=bandana.gif]

longtail
25-11-2005, 08:08 PM
doesn't that just sh?t ya , put all that effort into a good fight and it's vermin ::) >:(
think of it this way , your mate got some valuable practise with the gaff for the next time you hook a bigun ;) ;D ;D

always next time mate

cheers
jason

SeaJay
25-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Ah you didn't believe me about Wed did you :P

At least you didn't out do me :D

Hope you had a good day out regardless

Cheers
David

Fishin_Dan
26-11-2005, 02:29 AM
Don't worry mate, I called one for snapper the other week ::) (We can dream can't we!)

Saw what I thought was a flash of pink in the water when it kicked over at first glimpse... Was very excited....

Got it near the top and started swearing at it cause I knew what it was then! Even the scottish guy I was with may have been offended!!! :P

But he did hook up to his own one later on in the day that made it very hard for him to get the rod out of the holder.... That'll learn him for putting his baits directly down! :D

revs57
26-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Where's the Verminator when you need him

g'day Kev!!!! ;)

sunny
26-11-2005, 09:43 AM
Heh heh ;D Been there done that :D

Don't those big catties go? The first big one I caught I seriously though I had a shark on, the way it was peeling line off. Ten - fifteen minutes of grunt later this big whiskery head pops up over the side. No need to slow it down, I guess the swearing must have stunned it.