PDA

View Full Version : Mooloolaba Billfish Bash

magicpudding
27-11-2005, 09:52 PM
This weekend saw the billfish bash, which a few ausfishers competed in. It was a fun tournament, albeit if i spent most of saturday morning paying for friday night [smiley=sick2.gif]. We managed a few dolphin fish and a wahoo on Saturday followed by 2 black marlin in the last hour and a half of fishing today. The second fish was hooked up with 10 minutes left, so we put the hammers down and pinned it in only 3! It was an awesome fish, far too quick for the slow camera to get a photo of. Hopefully jeffo will have some photos of saturdays catch. Here's the best shots of the two fish.

CJ

magicpudding
27-11-2005, 09:53 PM

jeffo
28-11-2005, 06:14 AM
pitty we didnt get the 2 blacks saturday.

jeffo
28-11-2005, 06:15 AM
first bycatch of saturday. 7.5kg of mahi mahi taken just north of all the other boats trolling for hoo.

jeffo
28-11-2005, 06:16 AM
and finally a big congratulations to cj for taking out the prize for champion boat for the weekend.

bugman
28-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Well done gents. Heard you took out champion boat. Bloody top effort.

Is that the first recorded captures of marlin this season for the club?

I think I know where you were and was there much bait there?

Brett

Billo
28-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Well done CJ ! Congratulations .

top effort to get 2 for the day .

I thought yesterday was going to be ok in the morn , boy how wrong was i !

another great photo there Jeffo ....your getting right into that aren't you !?

Argle
28-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Well done and what a top picture of the jumping dollie! :o

bigmack
28-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Yes - awesome picture of aerial mahi!

Can anyone give an opinion on mahi at this end of the coast - they seem to be much further offshore as opposed to turning up at the waverider buoy at Straddie for instance.

How far do we need to go out for dollies in the Mooloolaba area? Do they ever show up at the blinker or the wave buoy off North Old Woman. Do you think they will ever turn up at the HMAS brisbane buoy north of the wreck?

Thanks for your opinion in advance.

Phill

Brooksy
28-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Congratulations CJ ;D ;D

jeffo
28-11-2005, 07:40 PM
phill- where ever the blue water is. we got one at the 12 mile on saturday, the rest were around the trench and hutchies. have caught them before at the blinker. the WRB at point look out is in much deeper water and well and truely in the current.

tim- loving the photography, catching them on rod and reel is easier than catching them on a camera. love it.

RB
28-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Congratulations CJ
Talked to Smithy today sounds like it was a great tournament with top prizes and draws even if the fish were a bit scarce ,you still found the goods required
well done
Russell

bigmack
30-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks Jeffo - we will keep exploring. The big buoy on the Nth Side of the Brisbane wreck was sitting nicely in the current with very blue water. Will keep checking it out I suppose. Bird life has moved in and marine growth well under way.

Thanks for the reply
Phill