PDA

View Full Version : Palmy Spots 3.12.05

Colorado
05-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Went to Mermaid to try for some Spots but the schools of bait and fish that were present until the rain came were not to be seen. Heaps of Tailor on the reef so made the move down to Palmy. Pulled up and a school of Spots were busting up. Got a cast in and hooked up straight away and landed a nice 9lb Spotty. The school quickly went down so put out the pick. Started floating out some baits whilst continuing to spin. I picked up another 2 Spots around the same size in quick succession before they disappeared.

My mates on board were getting smoked buy fish left, right and centre but most were probably sharks that seemed to be in plague proportions on the reef. We kept two for a feed and returned the rest.

No more Spots but the boys picked up a few Squire, Sweetlip and Bream on the baits that sunk down to deep and also a couple of small Cobia.

I didn’t see any other Spots caught but a few nice Cobia were taken by a mate in another boat.

Hopefully the water will clean up and the Spots will come back on the bite for next weekend.

Franco
05-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Well done Leigh

Mate of mine was down there and said there was a guy who caught a few then it went quiet .... that was obviously YOU!!

He found em again near tally creek, but they only smashed up for a minute then were gone again, and spooked pretty easily, not hitting the metals. We only use mono leader as well; no wire.

Catch ya out there soon.

Holy_Mackerel
05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Nice work Colorado. Thanks for the report and for the pic. I've got a bit of deck building to do before Xmas. Hopefully we can get it all out of the way asap.
Wes

fishingnottake
05-12-2005, 02:22 PM
ssshhhh

Brejen
05-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Colorado, we trolled down from the seaway passed Mermaid and onto Palmy not to have a reel turn. We didn't see any fish caught on either reefs, so mate you did well. Not much bait around and as you say probably due to the fresh out there. Water was beaut tho and just great to be out there.

Brett

Billo
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
always the way isn't it .....give us the weather but make us work hard for our fish ..

top feed anyhow , good luck for this weekend

S-Strike
05-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah - i've got to agree that the green water in close was the problem on the weekend. hopefully it will clear up soon

fishingnottake
06-12-2005, 03:27 PM
arent you meant to fin them?

Colorado
06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
As far as I know thats only for Spanish Mackerel.

Unfortunatly they were only Spotted Mackerel.

outsiderskip
06-12-2005, 04:23 PM
hi lee
they brained mackeral last week
but not much this week

cheers pete

fishingnottake
06-12-2005, 04:28 PM
As far as I know thats only for Spanish Mackerel.

Unfortunatly they were only Spotted Mackerel.
thanks mate, wasn;t having a go at you was just checking.

Spaniard_King
06-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I recon a few people will get caught out with the fin the fish rules, been guilty of forgetting myself ::)

Garry

Cloud_9
06-12-2005, 08:04 PM
you should of said the cut fin is on the other side. ;D
OOPs
Cheers Cloud 9