PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Wide Sunday - Gold Coast

DaneCross
12-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Still buzzing after yesterday's long but exciting day spent trolling for Marlin off the Goldy yesterday. Met JB at the Grand at 6am and lines were set and trolling by 7am. The first 5mins of trolling had a brute of a mac tuna (est. 9-10kg+) on my line and before long released at the boat. Headed E/NE of the Seaway and once reaching some nicer water in about 55-60m headed in a Northerly direction. First real action came east of the 'pin bar from a nice dollie on the short corner and after a good battle with some aerobatics mixed in the first dollie for my boat was pulled onto the deck. After some cheers, some pics and a nice fish in the esky out went the lures again. About an hour later on our way back South in about 63m we took our first shot from a sizey Black! I am far from knowledgeable when it comes to marlin size/weights but if I was to guess I would estimate that it would've been in the 40-50kg range. I couldn't believe my eyes when its beak, head and shoulders appeared behind the lure on the long-corner. I struggled to get my words of, "What the... We've got... Holy Cr@p... Marlin!" out before it monstered the lure, turned and took off. This thing didn't muck around, within seconds of it appearing behind the lure it had taken it and it was outta-here. As we (Cameron & myself) cleared the other lines JB picked up the now-screaming TLD 20 and watched his line disappear at a helluva rate of knots. As more line disappeared and more spool became visible JB upped the drag ever so slightly, then as the fish broke the surface again and turned, the 10kg line gave-way ending our hopes of landing our first marlin. We live and learn ;D After ruing our chance gone begging we continued South, next action came East of Surfers after we had headed wider and found ourselves in around 80m of water (we don't really know how deep 'cos the sounder couldn't cope!); this time a BIG dollie, est twice the size of the first one, popped up behind the short corner. After tracking it for a bit, it took the lure for a 10m squirt then dropped it. We continued hoping it would appear again. It did. This time behind the shotgun, same thing, tracked it, took it, spat it - no luck. That was the last bit of action for the day, but what a day it was! I guarantee I'll be back doing the same thing a number of times this summer. It's such a visual form of fishing. Seeing these huge fish appear on the surface before taking the lure had my heart going - I'll be back ;D
DC

JB and the dollie...

DaneCross
12-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Us deckies had to get in the pic too... as you can tell, I was pretty happy ::)

DaneCross
12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
We trolled and trolled ;D

finding_time
12-12-2005, 12:28 PM
Great effort fellas we ( the bomber and myself) were south of you guys and didn't have much luck for a fair bit of effort. Any way there's always next week ::)
Ian

Big_Ren
12-12-2005, 01:05 PM
That's awesome DC, no matter what the end result. It is mesmerising watching the rod tips and lures all the time and there would be nothing quite like being snapped out of your trance when the billy poked his beak out of the water. From a practical point of view, how many lures were you able to troll in your boat? 8-) Great effort all the same and nice dollie.

Cheers
Paul

CamH
12-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Nice one DC. You've got the bug now. You'll be eating, drinking and sleeping marlin thoughts now I reckon. What kind of lures were doing the job for you guys.

blue_rogue
12-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Nice work Dane,

We were out Saturday down at Palmy,

Had two spotties to the boat but both through the rigged pillie boat side. That was dissapointing.

Tried to get a crew organised on Sunday to head out wide and troll for the morning, though couldn't round up any body. Looked like a top day out on the water.

Well done on the dollie, and bag luck JB on the Marlin.

Cheers,

Dom

Billo
12-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Well done DC and CO ...good quality water out there .and nice feed of dollies
Back luck on the Beaky , i know how your blood rushes...and probably still rushing
They really do test the angler and the tackle , and when they show up out of the blue can put anyone into utter belief ..top show !

DaneCross
12-12-2005, 03:10 PM
Cheers fellas, yeh the whole thing has played through my mind over and over since yesterday - I'm keen as for 'Round 2'.

Dom, I heard it was tough going at Palmy on Saturday... maybe something to do with the dirty water from all the storms??? Hopefully the spots-in-numbers aren't too far away. I'd love a feed for Xmas ;D

Paul, we were running just the 3 lures with two teasers out.

Cam, we were running 2 Pakulas and 1 Wellseys at any one time, changed colours/types a few times. JB's the man to talk to about specifics (the Pakulas were his and I can't remember the names of my Wellseys ones ::))

bidkev
12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Nice report Dane. well done mate, looks like you've got the bug now :D

Can't wait to get out myself and try some trolling. Just gearing up and debating whether to research buying an outrigger. Never done it before, but can well imagine that it's very visual.

kev

vertico
12-12-2005, 03:58 PM
good effort dane, you will get em next time im sure of it :)

Dave
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
That is a very nice dollie, how many k's do you think you traveled.

Dave

DaneCross
12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
That is a very nice dollie, how many k's do you think you traveled.

Dave
Dave, you don't wanna know ::) ;D Nah, we don't have an accurate measurement as I left my GPS at home and JBs one doesn't have a track function. We did however mark the significant spots where hook-ups/follows occurred (and a few other spots of interest) and JB was able to plot them today to give an indication of distance covered - 95km was the guestimate. At one stage being 29.5km from the coast in an easterly direction. How the boat performed fuel-wise will be interesting. I won't know how much fuel we used however 'till I fill up for next time.
DC

DALEPRICE
12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
top report dc,
gotta be happy with your result 8-)
cheers dale

gawby
12-12-2005, 08:29 PM
DC
Must have been you blokes we saw trolling all over the ocean.
100 points for trying like us and better luck nex time.
Graeme

gawby
12-12-2005, 08:30 PM
DC
Must have been you blokes we saw trolling all over the ocean.
100 points for trying like us and better luck nex time.
Graeme

Matt_G
12-12-2005, 08:54 PM
DC

Unlucky mate on the Black. Without doubt it is amazing to see how much line these guys dump in a short space of time.

Drop me a PM and I will post you out a marlin lure to help you on your way.

Regards

Matt Gross
Ultimate Gamefishing Tackle

3Vs
12-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Lucky Bugger :)

bidkev
13-12-2005, 07:53 AM
DC

Unlucky mate on the Black. #Without doubt it is amazing to see how much line these guys dump in a short space of time.

Regards

Matt Gross

Well, there's one guy who sure ain't from Leaky Marine ;D

kev

Frank_Oostenbroek
13-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi Dane,

Great report and really well written. It would inspire any Billseeker. Certainly caught my interest.

I will be waiting for the photographs of the big blacks over the next few weeks.

FrankOO

flickflack
13-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Dc

Top report mate , bad luck on the dropped Billo.

We went off the Tweed On Monday and spent about 3 hours trolling from Kirra to 9 mile and wide of Nine Mile and didnt turn a reel. So you guys did well. Do you know what the water temp was we had 23 c

Rod

DaneCross
13-12-2005, 11:02 AM
DC

Unlucky mate on the Black. #Without doubt it is amazing to see how much line these guys dump in a short space of time.

Regards

Matt Gross

You're not wrong about them turning on the after-burners. I've never heard a real scream that hard for so long :o Thanks very much for your offer and a PM is on its way!

I will be waiting for the photographs of the big blacks over the next few weeks.

FrankOO, I certainly hope to deliver! ;)

Do you know what the water temp was we had 23 c

Rod, out wide in the blue water the temp varied from about 25.5deg to 26.6deg

Cheers,
DC

gogecko
13-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Well done DC, it must have been a buzz.

I had my first ever troll on Fri at Palm Bch with some pink and purple skirts i got from DOug Burts. We didnt get a hit from 5 am -noon, but we needed the practice run anyway.

How many metres of line was on the spool? Ive just put 400m on my tld, and the guy who sold it assures me its enough.

Why wouldnt you turn the boat and chase the fish when you see the spool getting low? It might be a dumb question, but Im new at this.

Hoping to get my first dollie and see why their such good eating.

cheers
Andrew

JB
13-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Andrew, 400m should be plenty. Fish took about 200-250 i rekon, maybe 350 on the reel . We were planning to turn but the decky was still pulling in the other lures and teasers, thats how quick line was dissapearing.

Jas

gcbfc
13-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Jas..

First thing you do on ANY marlin... get someone to pick the rod up and keep control.. Clear around them.. Dont just let the fish run unattended.. 1 ounce of slack and they are gone. Picking the rod up help sets the hooks too.

Keep the rod tight and fairly high mate.

Just put the boat into idel forward and clear the stuff around your mate.

Cheers

Wayne

JB
13-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Yeah we had all that under control wayne, i was on strike and my mate cameron was clearing the other gear. The boat was never takin out of gear , and was slowly going away from fish too keep tension.

Fish was never unattended buddy, dont worry about that ;)

We'll be back. ;D

Jas

Reefmaster
13-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you blokes had plenty of fun. Don't worry about the billy there will be plenty more you will latch onto in the near future. :D

Regards Greg

rakinray
13-12-2005, 08:37 PM
Well done lads, top effort on the dollie Dano seems you are lookin very comfortable thirty klm off the coast chasin Blacks ! Top stuff mate ! ;D Bad luck with the beaky Jas im thinking it wont be long before we see another report with the full deal mate, we only managed to pull one lousy mac tuna and two no hook ups in about three hours around the rock group off p/look-out but it happens id say ! Enjoyed the article in B/B Dane, seems ill have to ask for autographs from you and Jas when we get together for a run chasin spotties in the bay REAL SOOOOOONNNN OK !

CHEERS RAY :)

flattymattyb
13-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi Guys,

Top stuff, it certianly is an amazing experience when they hook up and that beak just appears where your lure was just seconds before, hope its the first of many more for the season. 26.6° :o could be in for a real interesting summer weather wise if the temp stays that high [smiley=wreck.gif].

Cheers
Matty

DaneCross
14-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Enjoyed the article in B/B Dane, seems ill have to ask for autographs from you and Jas when we get together for a run chasin spotties in the bay REAL SOOOOOONNNN OK !
LOL Ray, I look forward to it ;)

26.6° #:o could be in for a real interesting summer weather wise if the temp stays that high [smiley=wreck.gif].
Matty that was later in the day, the sun had been on it and might've put another 1-1.5deg on it - I'm told this happens :-/

Cheers,
Dane