PDA

View Full Version : I see colour...... it's gold

szopen
15-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I just got the pictures yesterday.

Two weeks ago I went fishing in a dam in the moutains.

It was going pretty well, got more than 10 tilapias in the 1-1.5kg range.
After sunset I decided to stay a bit longer as they were still biting and I was also hoping for a catfish (had another rod set for that).

Fished with a small float and a chemical light on top to see in the darkness, dough bait.
Another bite, hook set and the line is peeling away ... something bigger than the tilapias.
Maybe ten minutes later in the light I can see it is pretty colourfull.

Got it out with a net.

It's goldfish....
A bit over 4kg.

Go figure....

krazyfisher
15-12-2005, 02:02 PM
looks like a carp to me I could be wrong can anyone tell me.
did you kill it

BrandonH
15-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Yes that is a Carp, and can't go back into the system, same as the Talaipa. they can get bigger than that too!! Check this page out for more info on Carp.

http://www.carpbusters.com.au/

Cheers
Brandon.

efc
15-12-2005, 02:21 PM
by the looks of his location i am guessing that this fish as not caught in Australian waters.
Goldfish released into waterways are called carp, thats my thought.

bugman
15-12-2005, 02:31 PM
If memory serves me correct SZ is currently somewhere in Asia - I think Japan ?????

Anyway it's awesome to think that the country your in currently, fish for goldfish and tilapia which are seen a prize. It's all about perspectives in this world isn't it.

Nice work and congrats on the capture.

Bugman

BrandonH
15-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Sorry!! I didn't even look to see where you were from:( Those big Carp/Goldfish can go real well on light gear!! i can remember my dad catching them in the waterways west of Sydney years and years ago. Talaipa at 1.5kg go dam well too!! we have caught some monsters in North PIne dam that would have been around that size. Good Work!!

Brandon

krazyfisher
15-12-2005, 03:01 PM
so is it a carp or gold fish. they do go well on light line I have caught a few in the condamine river but never that big. do they eat them?

szopen
15-12-2005, 03:24 PM
I am in Southern China.
City called Guangzhou, something in the range of 10 million people in the city and another 100 million in the 300km radius.

That really is a lot of people.

There are still places to go fishing and there are quite a lot of people doing this.
Water quality in most of them is bad so not much fun.

The dam we (I’m not the only expat with the fishing problem here) normally go is in the huge mountain park fed by streams so there the water is as clean as it can get here (air pollution).
We have been fishing in that dam for about 2 years so we have the methods and baits well perfected. Usually we outfish the locals by a big margin.

Tilapia are hard fighting fish for their size and bigger ones are not so easy to catch.
With the set up used (main line 2kg and 1kg leader) they do put up a good fight.

I actually think that tilapia coming from clean water is quite nice to eat, unlike most freshwater fish they have very little bones.

The fish in the picture is a carp just of the golden variety.
Chinese are not too much into eating them.

MIKOS
15-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Sz

We have them down the road at waterford reserve and they are huge.

We have been told to kill them if they are caught.

Have you tasted them?

MIKOS ;)

szopen
15-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I ate it no problems (plenty of bones though).
Nothing wrong with them unless coming out of dirty water.
Tilapia is still much better.

In Europe carp fishing is quite a big thing with a lot of money involved.
They get to 30-40kg.
There the big ones are almost always released.

thumps
16-12-2005, 09:13 AM
i seem to remember being told that in some countries..

Carp are the main meal on christmas eve and a prized catch

The Czech tradition of eating carp on Christmas Eve is centuries old.
Served up traditionally, the carp is usually fried, often breaded, & the classic Christmas recipe, called carp black, is accompanied by a dark plum sauce. Also part of the tradition is the placement of a fish scale placed beneath every plate for luck

szopen
16-12-2005, 10:42 AM
In Poland where I came from carp is the traditional Christmas Eve food as well.

TonyM
17-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Bugman summed it up perfectly when he said it's all about perspective! :D

I'm just glad that our local tradition involves devouring huge amounts of prawns, crabs, and fresh seafood in general (always have a dozen oysters kilpatrick each for Brekkie on xmas day in my house) ;D The missus always puts her running shoes on that day :-?

Sure is a thumper szopen, must be great fun on the light gear!