PDA

View Full Version : New Billy Club member

Outsider
27-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Headed out about 5am this morning with my Old Man and younger brother replacing my normal crew. Neither had ever caught a billy and they make up 2 out of the 4 people I want to put onto a marlin as part of my G&Os for Season 05/06.

Weathermen still got it wrong, as they had for the last couple of days. I decided on Mon night I was going today no matter what. Bay was pretty good and the bar was well behaved. Outside was pretty good early with light NE winds and hardly any swell.

Dunked the lures and threw in the Witchdoctor - peanut gallery thought it was all a bit much and gave me heaps. They couldn't believe all that plastic/wood/mirror could attract and catch fish, let alone bring a fish in to only a few meters from the back of the boat.

Less than 200m later and they're standing there dumbfounded as a black goes ballistic, taking off with the Lumo from the long rigger. Quote of the day came from my brother - "what do I do?" :o ;D

After much heated discussion regarding the importance of laying the line on the spool, we had him along side - great hookup in the top jaw. Took pics and swam him for a while before releasing. So only minutes after starting out, we've already bagged a billy. Then someone (who shall remain nameless) says " We should get a few more at this rate". I should have gaffed him on the spot! ::)

Rest of the day was a write off. 1 small cobe, 1 small fin and a wahoo that decided I couldn't keep my favourite Fluzi. Couldn't be bothered cleaning the blood up so all were released. Lots of ground covered and am getting closer to understanding why my Spot X works like it does.

All in all not one of my best. Water was blue and warm out wide. Admired the renovations to our local fad. At least we got a billy to stick and opened our account for the season. Still got 3 deckies to go.

Outsider
27-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Poor little cobe took the Lumo too.

Outsider
27-12-2005, 07:05 PM
Mini fin - released on the condition we would meet again 100kg from now.

szopen
27-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Well done.

One happy deckie.

Still 3 more to go.

I love the: What do I do? question.

A few good replies spring to mind.

DaneCross
27-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Great fish Outsider. Can't complain about that trip :o
Lumo seems to be accounting for a few fish this season :-/

mackmauler
27-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Nice fish Brook, looks to be a few getting around, im going to need a long distance lense at the rate im going though.

Gone_fishin
29-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Brook

Great report!!!

I know what to do!!!
Shoulda come with, oh well got the trees pruned.

Hayden

flickflack
29-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Well done mate!!!