PDA

View Full Version : A good finish for 2005

Reefmaster
29-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Well what can I say but the missus is a legend. :D I got a leave pass after only having our second child only a couple of weeks ago so myself the old man and his fishing buddy Andy headed out the Wide Bay Bar first thing Tuesday morning in good but sloppy conditions and headed wide. :D A couple of hours later I sounded around looking for Reds and found what we were looking for. ;) For a change there was no current at all and we all hooked up on Big Reds with myself and Andy being dragged back into the reef and busted up after a few big runs. >:( The old boy was the lucky to get his coming and pulled a stonker of a Red and after that we proceeded to pull many nice reds and loose many big ones to the reef and sharks soon became a problem as well. :D :( Andy was onto a good fish, which took off like a rocket midway up and then turned into a dead weight. :-? Turned out to be big Green Job fish head thanks to the sharks and looking at the head would think it might have been an easy 15kg fish or more. :o :( I kept the head to mount (no dirty thoughts for those who were) ;D as I reckon they have one of the meanest looking heads in the ocean looking a lot like a t-rex Dinosaur. 8-) Anyway the fish soon went off the chew because of the sharks and the fact we lost some big Reds first up but that’s fishing and we had more then enough. Went looking for some new ground and found plenty for future trips and while trolling a few lures picked a skip jack tuna for the efforts. Worked our way back in picking up some big Moses Perch, Hussar, Gold Spot Wrasse and parrot. :D We headed back to DI in the afternoon for some protection as it was blowing a good 20knots of NE. :(Wednesday we stayed in close and pulled some Pearlies before heading for the bar around 9am. Outside the bar was plenty of surface action that appeared to be spotties so on went a LuckyPhill Slug and the Spotties were coming aboard. ;) We drove towards a school of them and just as we got to it a big Spanish mack come straight up through the school and jumped approx 10 metres into the air :o :o :o :o with out a word of a lie. Never seen anything like it and we were amazed the height it came out. We had a quick troll but fuel was getting very low so we kept 3 spotties and headed for home. A good trip with the sharks giving us again another flogging and a total distance of 265km was covered.

Sorry good pics kept for you know what. ::)

Regards Greg

The Biggest Red of the trip.

Scott15
29-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Nice report Greg, awsome fish. nice red!!

Reefmaster
29-12-2005, 07:33 PM
Green Jobfish that got Sharked >:(

Its on a 55ltr esky -could have been a 15-20kg fish?

Reefmaster
29-12-2005, 07:38 PM
mean looking from the front

Reefmaster
29-12-2005, 07:38 PM
one more

szopen
29-12-2005, 07:54 PM
I guess it was a very nice break from home duties.

Very nice results too.

DaneCross
29-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Awesome Greg. That Red is a ripper. Do you have any other heads mounted? I'd love to get a Wahoo mounted, gotta catch one first :-X
Top report as always, I'm glad you got that leave pass too ;)
Dane

Spaniard_King
29-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Greg,

mate you neva cease to amaze us [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hows the fuel bill for 265klm :-?

Not that it would matter comin home with trophies like those.

cheers

Garry

Gone_fishin
29-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Greg

As usual great report!!!

Very envious of those great fish you catch.

Hayden

SeaSaw
29-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Well done Greg on another top report. You must be getting sick of eating reds, so can you drop a few off at my place on your way through next time. ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,

Mark

bidkev
29-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Amazing Greg. You sure work hard for your fish and your long suffering missus ;D is a credit to you and herself. Well done to both of you.................and your old man and Andy :D

kev

Fixation
29-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Mate love your report. Great catch. You couldn't have asked for a better way to end 2005. Good work!! ;D

Anne-T-Dote
30-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Hi Greg

Awesome result there mate and good on the missus for being such a sport. Those reds sure are inspirational. Still have never had the thrill of nailing one myself, but I sure can imagine it every time I read one of your reports. And how's that green jobby - holy cr@p that's huge. What a shame it got eaten, hey?

My head was literally nodding in agreement as I read your bit about the spaniard jumping 10m in the air - I've seen that happen once myself off the front of the northern end of Bribie while we were into a school of spotties. Most people I tell the story to just say "oh sure, I believe you", but I can tell they really don't. Some other people have also witnessed it themselves though, so it's good to chat to them and share the experience. And an awesome sight it is. What a thrill.

Happy new year and here's to looking forward to many more of your reports to come in 2006

Cheers,

Rob.

reef_king
30-12-2005, 01:24 AM
great catch mate, must be doin something right for the misses to let you go so soon ;D ;) ;D

reef_king
30-12-2005, 01:25 AM
great catch mate, must be doin something right for the missus to let you go so soon ;D ;) ;D.... well done

vertico
30-12-2005, 02:38 AM
great report greg, a very nice way to end a great year of fishing off DI
well done

Franco
30-12-2005, 04:11 AM
Fantastic report mate Love that head shot!!

You're right about the fact that no one believe's you when you describe how those Spaniards jump but I've seen it myself!! Up at Thursday Isl. I had a spaniard estimated 32 Kg Shoot out of the water in an arc over the setting sun on the horizon. It went a good 7 m into the air and 15m across the horizon like a torpedo. It was amazing. We worked out how it got the energy for the jump when 7 m from the boat it got nailed by a Tiger and I pulled only the dorsal fin forward of it's body ..... which went 16.9 Kg!!!

So I believe you mate!! Great report and piccies

Sproulesy
30-12-2005, 04:15 AM
Hi Greg, lucky for you to get a leave pass so soon, and to be able to get out there and clean up on some sweet fish. What amount of fuel do you use on a trip like that and do you launch from around the lagoon area at DI. Was thinking of taking the haines up there but not sure about beach launching. May have to run down through the bar and go from there.

Cheers Dave

Reefmaster
30-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys.

Dane- Haven't mounted any heads yet but will do more in the future. I have the head off the 18.1kg red we got a little while ago and look forward to mounting it but might also get it looked at to see how old it was. After Heath's article in BnB a few additions ago on mounting heads I'm getting keen to do a few. ;) 8-)

Garry- depending on weather condtions and how many people are on board we usaully use around 200 ltrs to do 260-280km which is good for a 2 stroke 115 EFI Suzuki. It's alot of fuel but like you say it's worth it if you find the Reds. ;)

Hayden- Don't worry mate we will get you out there one day soon. ;)

Mark- Those Reds don't taste any better then Pearlies mate. ;D ok maybe they do :D 8-)

Kev- I reckon the missus should be taking all the credit for these fish. I i was pretty lucky. ;D ::)

Rob- You don't want to catch any Reds mate they are deadset addictive those fish. ;D ::) It's a pitty so much effort is required to catch the buggers as it takes the fun out of it a bit but i reckon i can handle that ;D ;) Good to see others have expereinced the jumping mac as well. Have been told about from a few people but to actually see it was unreal. :o Happy New Year to you both as well and i look forward to seeing many of your reports next year. ;)

reef_king- I'm told i never do anything right ;D ;D ;D

Franco- It sure is an amazing experience to watch flying macs :o 8-)

Sproulesy- 200 ltrs is about the going rate but can be more depending on sea conditions. At the moment there is no protecion from N-NE winds inside the bay area of DI. You can't get into the cove/lagoon area to launch as the water has washed away the sand making it to hard to get any further then just down from the toilet block. So because of this we have been leaving from Carlos Point at Rainbow Beach or Tin Can Bay boat ramp. It's around 15-20km from either of these ramps to the bar. Most the better grounds to fish is east of the bar

outsiderskip
30-12-2005, 05:46 AM
well done greg
thats a nice lot of fish to end the year
u always seem to get sharks when u get quality fish
hope the fishing and quality keepcoming in next year

happy new year
cheers pete

redbullburley
30-12-2005, 08:56 AM
you certainly live up to the reefmaster name nice..... fish do you ever get sick of eating those reds? i'd say not

juicyfruit
31-12-2005, 12:54 PM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Juicy

Mick81
02-01-2006, 11:07 AM
What water depths are you usally fishing in to get those awsome reds?

JasonT
02-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Great report! Nice Red!
Look forward to hearing your next one!

Jason