PDA

View Full Version : Morteon Sat and Point Lookout Mon Arvo

DougHanning
02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Saturday headed out to hutchies in the morning and then down to the coffee rocks in the arvo. Picked up a few parrots, a cod, jobbie, tuskie and trevelly then a few crays (almost getting sick of them ;D). Then monday arvo headed out off point lookout in a howling swestr. As soon as we got out there the whole place erupted and for 3 hours there were flying fish everywhere and when they landed were getting eaten by yellows,striped and mack tuna. I thought they were flocks of birds at first. We had 6 land in the boat and while in the water had them sticking to us for protection. I managed to spear one little yellowfin( a first) and we saw a few others and Brett lost a big wahoo when his spearline parted. Flyingfish were an awesome sight and that will be burned in my memory. Pity we had no rods and lures. Then punched back across the bay in about 20knots of almost westerly crap. Still was a nice bday present.
Cheers all Doug

DougHanning
02-05-2006, 04:48 PM
first yellow rocket

DougHanning
02-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Saturdays effort

DougHanning
02-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Bretts trevelly (African Pompano- thats what my yank mates call them?)

DougHanning
02-05-2006, 04:51 PM
More crays.... ;)

twodogsfishing
02-05-2006, 05:00 PM
F*&% me.....have a go at the cray on the top left....is the one on the bottom left a painted cray....unusual colours (not that im a cray expert :'( ) All those tuskies are good sized too...i guess thats what beautiful about being able to pick and choose your targets ;D

well done guys, i've never speared before and have no intention to but i absolutlely love reading your threads

thanks

reef_king
02-05-2006, 05:25 PM
complety mad jumping out of a perfectly good boat ;D haven't yous heard about sharks ;)
you guys must have the lungs and the balls to do it, thats a great feed of fish and crays

seapup
02-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Top effort mate! Some good tucker there! :)

elephrez1
02-05-2006, 07:44 PM
thats crazy, but what a catch

Jack_Hunter
02-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Great catch there. Also have never tried spearfishing, however would love to one day. how good a swimmer/snorkeller do you have to be to give it a decent go???. Have snorkelled a fair bit. Great report

vertico
02-05-2006, 09:09 PM
how many yfin are out there atm doug

kingcobe
02-05-2006, 09:54 PM
That is a massive trevally how much did it weigh?

Jay Jay

TIM-DONSELAAR
03-05-2006, 01:24 PM
nice catch there fellas...Well Done [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

cheers tim :)

Spectre
03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Good stuff.... & an awesome catch of crays.
I don't how u can eat em ;D ;D.

Bugman can smell a catch of crays at 100 k ...so Don't forget to drop one off to him !! ;D

Cheers

coastrunner
03-05-2006, 03:53 PM
>:(Anyone can catch fish with a speargun,Try using a hook like the rest of us >:( >:(

Custaro
03-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Another nice catch Doug!

That Yellowfin must have been moving for you or you gone the safety shot. Very rarely do you see the plug hole that far back in one of your catches.

bugman
04-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Coastrunner,

I'd take a hook anyday over a speargun when trying to catch yellowfin ;D ;D ;D

Your statement is one of the funniest I've seen here for a while.

Bugman

Mick
04-05-2006, 12:23 PM
No, no, no, coast runner...., not good at all mate!

1. "The rest of us"???????? Many here like to take the plunge underwater as well as line fish.

2. I don't know how many Yellowfin you have encountered underwater but they move about 10 times quicker then you could draw a gun through the water...., meaning aim doest even come into concideration as you will still be trailing the fish, its more of try and anticipate where the fish is going and trust me its freaking hard (unless Doug had a boat boy dropping over chunks of burley to aim at).

3. Rememeber things like strong currents, depth, dirty water conditions, flighty fish, camoflauged fish, predators (of humans), breath holds, rope tangling, an eye for aiming, etc, etc,

4. Anyone can catch a fish with a spear gun? Um, how do I put this..., NO! Lets take a young fisho for example, he / she can catch..., aaarrrrh screw it, not worth mentioning anymore.

Argle
04-05-2006, 12:46 PM
Have to agree guys, yellowfin with a spear?! Very good shooting! Always enjoy your reports Doug keep them coming. No way in hell would I try that though ;D

Cheers and beers
Scott

mat_anderson04
04-05-2006, 07:49 PM
very nice mixed bad of fish you got there

chrees ando

nigelr
07-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for another great report, Doug. Awesome, as usual!
Coasty, chill out. There are plenty of site members who do a bit of spearing.
Or perhaps you could show Doug and co. a spearfishing trick or two???????????
Mate, we'd all love to read about them!
Nigel