PDA

View Full Version : Banks Saturday Evening

Tunzafun
02-07-2006, 09:48 AM
I took Ausfisher Fadd for his maiden voyage out to the Banks to spot x (thanks Hoga) leaving Mooloolaba about 1230 pm. Fairly comfortable trip out and had lines in the water by 1430. Sea was quite calm, winds were light and the sun was shining. Turned on the radio to listen to the footy and we wondered does it get any better than this? All we needed now were some fish.

It didn't take long before Fadd had a nice 1kg squire in the boat and the look on his face was one of delight ;D. This soon changed when I told him to throw it back as it was too small :(. I explained that unless it had a hump on its head, it was not worth keeping and as the fish was in good condition and would easily live, he should return it to grow. #Relunctantly he complied but I sensed some doubt as to why he should be returning such a lovely plate size culinary delight to King Neptune :-/.

It wasn't long before his new rod took a nose dive to the water. He struck at it and started cranking on his new reel. This time he knew he had a real fish on. A couple of minutes later he had cranked a big snapper (4-5 kg) to the surface and it had a big hump on its head........ Yea mate, you can keep him. I had one excited fisherman in the boat! ;D

I had a slow start landing a couple of squire, a big grinner thing and a hussar. Then I had something quite heavy take the bait and it seemed to be doing a lot of head shaking on the way up. Unfortunately it was a double hook up of two very nice squire however, I had made the rule, no big hump, no keep. ::) Back they went. I was wondering if I would regret this rule but, as we had planned for an allnighter, I thought we can always top up the bag in the morning if the dusk bite doesn't produce good fish. Mind you, this was all in the first 40 minutes or so. #:)

Things slowed down a bit as we drifted across our mark a couple of more times and then we decided to anchor up on the area that had promised the most. By 1600 we were set and lines in with nice squid baits on. Bingo, we were on a patch. I won't bore you with the rest of the tales but we caught quality snapper and had bagged out (but one) by 1800 :). We decided to change our fishing style and try some jigging for Amberjack or Kingfish (Fadd had already caught one nice Kingy). #As we pulled our lines in to change the rigs Fadd hooked another big snapper. He said bugger, that's our bag (just no pleasing some people) :D. Anyway we decided to take a litle hiatus, have a well earned Jim Beam and a feed. 8-)

30 minutes later we were well fed, a couple of cold Jimmy's down and rigs changed to ganged hooks with big flesh baits; lets see whats down there. Fadd's new rod took a big nose dive and his reel screamed. The look on his face was priceless. He was fishing with 30lb braid and he never looked like stopping whatever he had hooked. This baby had decided it wanted to spool him and although Fadd did a great job at slowing him down, this sucker would not give in. #After about 5 minutes, the fish decided he was going to put a real run on, Fadd had braced himself in the back of the boat and knew he was in for one hell of a fight. The real screamed again and Fadd thought I will just thumb this reel to add a touch more drag. Twang......... lost him. Monofilament lead snapped. A check of the line revealed no chaffing or rough line and it appeared to be a claen break where the line just let go. Fadd sat in the chair (with every muscle in his back screaming) wondering what the hell it had been? :'(

We caught another couple of large snapper (which we let go) we decided that rather than stay out all night and be knackered all Sunday, we could be in bed by midnight. #We pulled the pick and headed home. #Easy run home in glass conditions and at the ramp in an hour :). #All in all we kept:

10 x humpheads,
1 x lge tusk fish and a smaller one
1 x pearl Perch (32cm)
1 x Moses Perch (good size)
1 x Kingfish (couple of kilos).

We threw back numerous squire, small pearlies and parrot fish. #A great trip, quality fish and quality company (thanks Fadd) ;). The only downer on the trip was the open 4.5m tinny that was fishing near us. #His berley trail consisted of a constant stream of empty XXXX cans, cigarette packets and general rubish >:(.

I will endeavour to get some pictures and upload them later but right now I have a boat to wash and fish to clean. Hope all those other bobbing lights out there did just as well.

Ross

reef_king
02-07-2006, 10:25 AM
sounds like a good night to be on the water, not sure if its a mistake but a 32cm pearlie isn't legal, with 35cm being legal.

cheers ty

revs57
02-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Great Stuff Ross,

Isn't it great to see the delight of a first or PB fish on the face!!! By the Way, as skipper of your ship you have the right to make the rules and change the rulres even in the context of the same trip...so the rules on hump head can change when you decide ;). Not all large snapper have a hump so that should let you off the hook next time.

On Flamin Riptide there are only 2 rules...rule number 1...the skipper is always right. Rule number 2...if in doubt refer to rule number one...particularly when it comes to boat tax!!! You do have a boat tax contingency don't you?

Sounds like you had a great trip...look forward to the photo's

Cheers

Rhys

Scarecrow
02-07-2006, 02:47 PM
good to see you had a great afternoon.
calm seas and great fish.
cheers ted. ;D ;D

Tunzafun
02-07-2006, 03:49 PM
[quote author=reef_king link=1151797727/0#1 date=1151799955]sounds like a good night to be on the water, not sure if its a mistake but a 32cm pearlie isn't legal, with 35cm being legal.

Oooops,

My bad. I thought itwas 30 cm.

Thanks Ty.

Hagar
02-07-2006, 04:50 PM
Good one Ross

More fish up there than down the Gold Coast - eh mate . The weather is only giving us limited opportunities still down here so far this winter . Might have to come up your way sometime soon .

Chris

Thatildo
02-07-2006, 04:54 PM
That sounds like a good night out.4-5 kg snapper,I envy you.So far i have only managed squire,but good things come to those who wait.

Dave
02-07-2006, 06:57 PM
With fellow Ausfishers on board I am sure it must have been a typo. Well done Ross. Dissapointing to see rubbish getting thrown over the side, annoys me everytime. I started my boys off right and they put all their rubbish into a shopping bag ready for the bin when we get home. Teach them right from an early age. Anyhow well done on a good feed.

Dave

Jim_Byrne
02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Great catch Tunzafun! Sounds like it was pretty calm out there.

How often do you see 4.5 metre open tinnies at the banks? I own one myself and think that would be a bit hairy heading out there, in particular at night!

cheers

Jim

Big_Ren
03-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Gidday Ross. looks like you had an awesome night....well, half a night. Not nice to see people chucking rubbish over the side of their tinny...I didn't know beer cans and ciggy packets were biodegradable :(

Well done on your catch and it's nice sometimes to get home a little early so you can enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Cheers
Paul ;)