PDA

View Full Version : New outfit tested at Murphies 04/11/06

DanMacX2
06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Seeing a break in the weather at 10:00pm on saturday night, decided to head upto mooloobah and try out the new baitrunner 6500 and wilson live fibre 7 ft 15-24kg. for an early morning bite.

left mooloobah at around 2:30am and headed for murphies in very comfortable conditions, approximately 6 knts ne winds with a rolling swell of around 1 metre.

Arrived at murphies found a few shows on the sounder and anchored straight up. Dropped down and waited whilst burleying................nothing. Decided to throw out the baitrunner as a floater with a pillie on it, after about 5 minutes got smashed, damn not enough drag on the baitrunner. same thing on the next bait in the water. next drop and im on to an absolute brute taking me straight to the bottom and staying there, after about 15 minutes it appears we have pulled hooks. Damn re bait up and out goes another pillie result 1.5 - 2 kg yellowtail enters the boat. everything goes quiet until the sun comes up, keep the burley going and throw out a whole squid on the gangs and float that, this time i dont set the baitrunner in baitrunner mode and leave the rod in the holder with around 2 kg of drag. 30 mins later still nothing, not even a nibble. cut up some squid and throw a steady stream out the back and wath as the cubes dissapear, phone starts ringing aboiut to answer and the wilson bucles over and the baitrunner sings its enchanting song that puts a smile on anyones face, grab the rod out of the holder and im losing line fast, tighten the drag a little and then the headshakes start, line is really comming off the reel now and then.......... slack line, no weight. Result pulled hooks.

this is the first time I have ever used braid is there something I should be doing to increase my chances of landing these fish or should I just go back to mono? also what do you think these fish were?

Dan

walteri81
06-11-2006, 11:09 AM
i always have a long mono leader on the end of my braid seems to help but my old man swears by that shock leader stuff, the leader will give you some stretch as braid does not stretch at all.

if there were head shaks sounds like SNAPPER!!!!!!!!!!

a
06-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah I agree - theres some big old man snapper come in to murphies between dusk and dawn and make a meal of the unprepared.

Braid should be fine with a decent leader, what hooks are you using. For dead bait I only use tru-turn (Gangs with swivells holding them together) seems to do the job and fish braid for floatlining and bottom bashing.
Murphies is pretty heavily belted but still produces especially pre-dawn and dusk but its a sweet ride home from there when u have a feed....

Next time try mono on one and braid on the other and throw away that packet of hooks......

cheers
armoz

CAPT_DAZZA
06-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey dan, i use a 6500 baitrunner as well, excellent offshore reel. cheers darren .

Fishbait
06-11-2006, 11:05 PM
I agree with "Armoz". Tru-turn hooks are excellent, I use these all the time too, and have a decent mono leader to your braid line. Gotta love the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Sounds like Snapper to me too. Good Luck next time! ;)

stormcat
09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
lickit

stormcat
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Hey dan sounds like you had agreat experiance what kind a boat where u in