PDA

View Full Version : Hoo Knows Now

JustOneMore
12-11-2006, 07:23 PM
As the weekend drew near, I managed to wrangle Saturday off. What to do? Get the hoo we have been chasing for a couple of weeks now! This trip the jigging rods were staying at home as we wanted to focus on trolling for wahoo.

Headed out just before dawn towards the usual spot. With a magic run all the way out we were greated with some of the best fishing conditions one could ask for. Hit the area a little later than planned and the lures hit the water. The slow troll paid off instantly, and before i had the third lure in the water we had a double hook up. Short fight and two great looking and better tasting yellow fin hit the esky. Back went the lures and ten minutes later we are on again. Wish we had lighter gear for a better fight but they weren't our main target species.

Saw a big school of yellow fin on the surface and was lucky enough to put the lures right through the front of the school, but no hook-up? :o Figured it was time for a change and the skirts went out the back.

Trolling, trolling, trolling for at least an hour and just as i'm thinking of telling the boys we should try something different the shotgun skirt reel screams away. ZZZZZZZZZ as we have a speedster on the line. Thinking it was a bigger tuna I was stuffing about getting the camera for some action shots, when the call wahoo was made. Camera was dropped and the gaff selected as weapon of choice. With some great runs close to the boat and the pessure of not wanting to drop our first confirmed wahoo I missed the first gaff shot, but manage a very quick second shot to land the boat and our first wahoo!!!! ;D ;D Couldn't stop shaking for 20 mins after with the adrenaline pumping hard.

Skirts back out and we now know the area, speed, and lure for today. As we pass back over the spot the shotgun goes off again with that destinctive scream of the reel as the hoo jumps on. Unfortunately we don't stay connected and the second stays out there for next time. Trolled for another 2 hours before the call is made to start the journey home. Jigged a beacon on the way home for a mac tuna and a couple of school mac's to finish off the day. One of the best days fishing with perfect weather, what more could we ask for? ;D ;D

JustOneMore
12-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Greated with perfect conditions heading out at 36 knots.

JustOneMore
12-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Yellow fin double hook up.

JustOneMore
12-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Oddbudman with the third yellow fin.

JustOneMore
12-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Dan with the long awaited wahoo. ;)

JustOneMore
12-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Even better conditions heading home.

Brissyguy
12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Great report mate, and even better catch.

Congrats on your first Hoo.

Cheers,
# #Rich.

sleepygreg
13-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Well done on your first wahoo. Dont them muvvers go!!! Nice tasty yellowfin too......now they go well on the BBQ marinated in honey and soy......yummo.

Greg

Brownbear
13-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Nice one guys! So wheres the 'usual' spot?? ::)

suzy81
13-11-2006, 06:13 AM
hey guys great fish.......did you get those tuna on skirts too?
wouldnt mind haven a go with skirts through some of the inshore schools.
...............jez............

Slient
13-11-2006, 08:09 AM
JOM & guys....

About the time... :) your crew finally land first Hoo on your boat
Could image how you guys feel so excited & high...

Now you have ticked the specie being caught on your boat and I think you still chase dolphin fish to achieve whole pelagic species... ;)

Happy fishing
Silent

Smailesy
13-11-2006, 10:07 AM
your heart would of been in your mouth when you missed the first gaff shot nice fish enjoy the barby

GT_warrior
13-11-2006, 11:27 AM
That is soooooo good that you got one - well done, they have been driving me mad for the last 3 weeks. each time we set up, we see between 5 and 20 of them -they come over for a look, hang around a little while then leave. We have tryed all sorts of things but i just cant catch a Wahoo- out hooed :-[

Will have to get out again to try something different - any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

8-)

Big_Ren
13-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Awesome mixed catch guys and well done on your debut Doctor.

Cheers
Paul ;)

Blackened
13-11-2006, 06:06 PM
G'day
Great report and what sensational conditions!!!!!!!!

Great work on a 'hoo....... I've only caught one and that was back in februaruy so I can relate to that time after the fish is landed with the adrenaline..... it's special and what keeps us goin back for more.

Dave

DazSamFishing
13-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Top stuff,

Well done with the Hoo...

Daz

Kendall249
13-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Nice fish aand great pics, its always good to see a boat hooking along in nice conditions.

liberty
15-11-2006, 06:48 PM
We went out on Sunday. It was ok in the morning but picked up around 11:00.

We dropped the lures in and 20 secs after the last lure hit the water we had a triple hookup of Waaaaaaahooooooooooooooooo!!!

Unfortunately the other two on board got over-excited when the lines all lit up and ended up wrapping theirs around each other for a double break-off ... :-/

Still at least I hung on to mine ... first Hoo ever! 8-)

We got a fourth Hoo 2 hours later but released it at the boat unharmed.

Incredible morning!

JustOneMore
16-11-2006, 01:07 PM
The support from feloow Ausfisher's is always exceptional. Thanks! ;)

Jez - The toona were caught on HB lures. One did better than the others on the day. Would also like to give the skirts a go in the bay, but i think the old stealth mode, spin stick and slug would out fish the skirts and be a lot cheaper on the fuel bill.

Brownbear - If you read back through the posts you will figure it out.

GT Warrior - PM sent.

Liberty - That is one awesome machine you have there, and even better results. We think we hooked up to two on one previous trip but al lost both of them to excited fishermen! ::) They know who they are... ;D Congrats on your first hoo as well mate. Keep it coming as we all like to see what's being caught as the seasons change.

JOM.