PDA

View Full Version : Line Thickness

Roman
16-12-2001, 03:15 PM
I was just wondering how much a difference line thickness really makes regarding your hookups?

Travis
16-12-2001, 04:39 PM
Thats a tough question to answer Roman l dont think anyone would say line thickness affects hook ups.Depending on what your fishing for and where etc???

More importantly is the visability of the line on the other hand is very important to hook ups.

Travis

Roman
16-12-2001, 05:08 PM
im just trying to justify why people will use say 30lb line when they could say use 100lb line? casting distance? the lures can dive deeper?
i have some 30lb fireline and also when i compared it to some 100lb whiplash obviously the whiplash was thicker but it was no where near say a 100lb mono thickness.

Maby i should rephrase my question and ask whats the advantages of weaker thiner lines compared to stronger thicker lines?

Luke
16-12-2001, 06:40 PM
Hi Roman,
I reckon the thinner your line is the more sensitive it is to feel out bites but it's also got to do with giving the fish a fighting chance and if you say eg.hook up a bream on 30 lb line you may aswell be skull dragging it in because your not going to need to use a drag. If you go to far overboard with heavy lines you are taking away any skill needed. The lighter the line you use the more fight you will get out of your target and the more you'll learn to use your drag.
Cheers Luke

Roman
16-12-2001, 07:33 PM
I see...
so what line does everyone else use around here?

I assume that a thick line will also effect line visiblity to the fish as mentioned earlier?
As you said the lighter the line the more skill involved when fighting a fish, im still curious of other reasons.

i was observing a few guys fishing off the wharf here in darwin(fort hill wharf) and i found that the guy using i think it must of been 8lb smoke fireline or something in that poundage he kept getting hit after hit, even though the line kept breaking he did pull up a few, whilst the dude using the green 100lb whiplash(thats where i saw it) hardly got one.
I found this quiet intresting that the line thickness and type made such a difference, i still am yet to try thicker lines and thiner lines but am curious if anyone has found the same thing.

I appoligise for anything dumb or annoying i say. :-/ :)

Luke
17-12-2001, 05:18 AM
Hey Roman,
I guess the general rule I've learnt with fishing is to go as light as possible with all your gear. With the thinner line as Travis said it will be less visible to the fish and some fish are finnicky and easily spooked. I am not a fish but I would imagine for a small fish picking up a bait on 100lb line might be like taking off with a piece of rope. I'm from Brisbane and have caught bream on heavy lines but only when they are really gulfing baits and not nibbling. Always been more successful on the lighter lines. Hope that helps.
Cheers Luke

Lucky_Phill
17-12-2001, 08:01 AM
Well Roman, There is no doubt that the thinner the line the more hook ups you will get. As a little guide, 30lb mono line becomes invisible underwater at 30 meters. That's to the human eye. Sports fishoes use the lightest / thinnest line possible to do their thing. Now if you're fishing from a wharf chasing the monsters that live under it. certainly heavier line is the go, but, as you seen, less hook ups / bites will occur. There is now thin mono, braid, belspun, mono lines available. There have been enough write ups in all mags to give you an idea on what you should be using. Sensitivity is most important in fishing. This is where Braid comes to the for. But in a downrigger situation, it is not good. Whiting and Bream fishing need a light mono ( 2kg ).
In the end, Roman, you decide what you want and where you want to use it. My favourites are, 50lb Braid offshore, 2kg mono estuary, 20lb mono ( low stretch ) for the bay. A lot of different people will tell you different things, but in the end it's up to you and also your budget. Braids can be expensive. Decide what fish you want to catch, seek out an article in a fishing mag ( B'n'B is best ) and take it from there. Good Luck

aussiebasser
17-12-2001, 02:13 PM
This is where Braid comes to the for. #But in a downrigger situation, it is not good

Why???????????/

aquarius
23-12-2001, 06:50 PM
Roman go to your local tackle shop and buy some 14LB VANISH......Use 2 metres as your trace......it works for me!!!
Cheers # #Brent 8)

adrian
27-12-2001, 11:43 AM
hi roman
firstly the ones that don't ask are the dumb ones they don't want to learn , you do want to learn so ask away.
I use mono line from 2 - 10 kg the lighter ones for rivers and creeks and heavy stuff for outside and rock fishing. in my experience the lighter the line the more chances of hook ups
as a outside trip turned real nasty and we headed up the creeks with 10 kg line and caught nothing . also been outside with 2 kg line ( why it turned into a nice day ;D ) and had busted off more times than want to remember >:( but I would be asking the boys at the local tackle shop on the best to use . I've tried braid, spiderwire and fireline didn't like it at all , i did'nt have the time to learn how to use it right still don't . but i did catch fish with it but not as many as my mate fishing with me . lures will run deeper with thinner line like braid than with mono . you can get a lot more 4kg line on a spool than 15kg line

hope this helps

anzac

Chris_J
29-12-2001, 12:42 PM
hey guys

when i'm out fishing on my local waterways(Freshwater impoundments) i find it hard to go past 20lb bonic braid for the big stuff say spinnerbait and crankbaits and 6lb fireline for finise soft plastics.I have tryed alsorts of lines and these would be my favorites. #The fireline is great for those light knocks while the bonic has some give to absorb the smashing strike of a 50+ bass that we all love.

hope this helps

CJ:)

Heath
31-12-2001, 06:28 PM
It all depends on what fish you are targeting. We noticed a huge difference in the hits we had when Snapper fishing, when we went down in line diameter. But with Pelagics we have noticed no difference at all.