PDA

View Full Version : Octopus: Killing, cleaning and preparing them. How

Islander44
08-12-2001, 07:42 AM
Hi all

I occasionally get one in a crayring or a net. I usually let them go.
However, I would like some good info on the above questions.
they seem pretty resilient creatures so how do you go about killing them quickly and humanely?
I usually use squid for bait, and often look at the amount of bait on an occy...plus the other tasty morsels.

So, any ideas?

Ive heard a few stories. What do you do?

Some of the bigger ones are a handful...how do you get em on board and stored away etc etc

How do you cook them?

Heaps of questions folks!...its just that im really interested in keeping the next couple and using them for bait and to eat.

Thanks

Islander44
11-12-2001, 07:17 AM
What?

No words of wisdom here peoples?

Oh well, hopefully someone will come along with some ideas....

Back to the internet search engines!

Volvo
12-12-2001, 10:18 AM
G'day Islander,
Mate grab the occyby the head or whatever , as long as he cant get to ya with his parrotlike beak he cant bight ya so no worries . The thought of him climbin up ya arm as he clams onto ya is worse than it is.
Anyhow have a good sharp knife and cut through or into the head and turn head inside out if ya can and that normally kills em instantly or if ya like just cut head off altogether .
Mate they are excellent Bait but also excellent for the palate too and if ya wanna know how to prepare them for that also just say so.
:D Great on the barbie ey, and did ya know if ya dry em on the clothesline for some reason or other the flies dont blow em???? especially down your neck of the woods anyhow.
Cheers

reelcrazy
13-12-2001, 04:14 AM
I'm with Volvo on this, make a big enough cut at the base of their head and turn the head inside out.

Baits one thing, but they're great to eat.

Little trick I saw on one of the Greek islands was to grab them by the head and slap the tentacles against the rocks a few times, another on the fishing docks in Italy was to throw them in one of those small concrete mixers and let them turn for a while.

An Itie girlfriend of mine taught me the easiest way to cook them, after tenderising just cut them up into bite size sections (inch and a half) throw them into a pot over slow heat (just simmering).

Cover and cook for a couple of hours or until tender. They'll cook in their own juices.

When done, chop a red onion finely, add some vinaigrette dressing (store bought or make it yourself), fresh cracked pepper, and a couple of fine chopped cloves of garlic to the occy and juices.

Refrigerate over night. Delicious over a salad and some fresh bread, and of course beer.

Esme
13-12-2001, 05:30 PM
I caught one once, and not knowing how to 'treat it' for eating, so gave it to our labrador into 2cm pieces --raw - he LOVED it!! Esme ;D

Volvo
13-12-2001, 06:41 PM
:)reelcrazy and esme ;)you are most certainly correct , Occy if done well is a treat ;D Esme wander your Dog didnt ask for more Lol.The idea of beating against the rocks, concrete ,adjascent to the waters edge is ta tenderise,soften the meat and yes i have seen where the use of a cement mixer be used to achieve this though i have done the bashing bit and also when little time and hasty ta get me chops into the buggers i just off with the noggin, cut the beak and its grinner off and spread the Occy if large one on the clothes line ta hang out an dry :) :)Buggers really dehidrate or shrivel up too , and funny thing is when time comes and ya chop up pieces and chuck on the barbie they pop right out to their original thickness ???.
I use that method for drying and storing for the Barbie, if ya really wanna treat as an entree or nibblies with an Ouzo or xxxx you can do as Reelcrazy said , though after cookin over a slow fire in the pot, as well as your onion a good 3-6 crushed garlic cloves,a good halfe bottle of a good red wine in with the Occy that is :)(you can polish off the rest later) and maybe an extra onion pending on taste,let is cook slowly and before wine has done its vanishing trick some tomatoe paste, again enough pending on how much Occy ya have in your Pot, this ones me favourte i think.
And then ya have your Pickled Occy which again after ya let it cook slowly in the pot with Reelcrazies method, ya take it out when its nice n tender , let ity cool, give a slight wash if ya feel the need, and drop it in a jar/jars with some crushed garlic, spices,and top with white vinigar.
when ready for chewin take out of jar ,give wash , place in bowl covered only just with Olive oil and a little lemon. Again a good entree or as an appetiser with some Ouzo or xxxx.
If ya gunna do it as above ,via the dryin method. When ya chop opieces and drop on barbie add ample lemon ey it really takes it in and adds a nice flavour through it.
Otherwise Fishin for Red Emperor ya cant go past it for bait ey :) :)
Cheers

Luke
15-12-2001, 03:24 AM
I just have another Q. Is calamari squid the main edible squid or are there others or is calamari just the name of the actual dish? ???
Cheers Luke

reelcrazy
17-12-2001, 05:28 AM
Luke,

Does this help...

ca·la·ma·ri (käl-mär, kl-)
n.
Squid prepared as food.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Italian, pl. of calamaro, from Late Latin calamrium, pen-case, from Latin calamrius, relating to a reed pen, from calamus, reed pen (perhaps from the “ink” the squid secretes). See calamus.]

Its only commonly called calamari 'cause most people would baulk at eating something called squid.

Luke
17-12-2001, 04:40 PM
Reelcrazy,
yes that helps. Just wasn't sure if it was only one variety of squid.Thanks
Luke

Volvo
21-12-2001, 06:59 AM
I just have another Q. Is calamari squid the main edible squid or are there others or is calamari just the name of the actual dish? ???
Cheers Luke

Calamari is your squid & Soupya is cuttlefish :)and surprising how many variety of dishes from both these species ey,taste depends upon how & how long cooked.
Ie; clean the jacket of a good size cuttly, stuff with(slightly prefried) rice ,sultsa(tom paste) and some herbs all mixed together and in baking dish in oven, sittin again in some sultsa an a smidgeon of water, done well can put a smile on one's face :)
Cheers
Volvo

curleyweirdo
04-01-2002, 08:17 AM
Just my two cents on this.
Steps
1. CAtCH
2. Cut the beak out [its the mouth where the tentlcles all join in middle]
3. Turn Head INside out
4. Start beating like crazey on the wharf.
5======.keep beating
6. Wash and remove as much of the outer gunky skin as possible.
7. rinse
8. Put in bowl with sweet chillie sauce, and a bita oil.
9. Leave a day or so, in fridge in sauce marinae\
10. Chargrill/ fry in on hot bbq

Volvo
04-01-2002, 03:55 PM
:P :)Cut it out ya makin me Hungry.