PDA

View Full Version : barometric pressure

fisho
29-12-2001, 03:49 PM
I have begun to record the current barometric pressure in my fishing diaries on the advice of a well respected local fisherman. I would be interested in hearing readers opinion on the influence of barometric pressure in their own areas with regards to fish bite. ;)

Andrew
30-12-2001, 06:41 PM
All seem to agree that bass are more aggro before a storm, when the barometor is rising and high. I have bought one but haven't tested theory yet. Shoalhaven - Andrew

Fitzy
31-12-2001, 08:34 AM
Hi Guys,
I was bluffed by this baro thing for sometime & eventually woke up to myself. I've cracker days on lows & shockers on highs as well as the other way round.
I'm tending to look more for changes in patterns, taking in humidity, altitude (for some lakes/rivers), baro, cloud cover, wind direction & intensity, ambient air & water temps, time of year, moon phase etc etc etc. Then try to apply this to the target species & you can end up sitting through the night before a planned trip on the abacus sorting it all out.

Most of the time I simply check the wind & go fishing, taking whatever is dished out to me. I like to keep an open mind & take in the current conditions at the location using, sounder info etc.
I then look at the patterns (baro etc etc) when I get home.

If we waited for optimal baro reading before going fishing I dare say we'd go fishing alot less.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Simon
03-01-2002, 08:21 AM
I tend to agree with Fitzy in that a rising BP is a favourable piece to and over all pattern on the particular piece of water your fishing. I have observed the Sooty in my fish tank though does get a liitle more excited and active when the BP is rising as pretty much all other natural environmental factors don't come into play or are at a consistant level prior to this.

if anything, I would say that a rising BP can indicate that the fish are less likely to be shut down and can give you a starting place for your techniques when you first hit the water.

Cheers

Simon

Slates
04-01-2002, 11:07 AM
G'day fisho.
I reckon Fitzy has it sorted...
Personally, I haven't been totally convinced that high baro pressure conincides with good fishing. When you think about it, high pressure generally means good weather - more people fishing!
It only needs one of those people to catch a decent fish and everyone will point at the high pressure.
Whereas, you can have only a few hard-core nuts out on a shocker of a day and if they all get one fish (say there's 3 out). "Only 3 fish caught this weekend - forget it"

Now - I have had small reddies in a fish tank that were definately more active during rising, not neccissarily high pressure, but that's the only example I can think of.

Like Fitzy, I've had great days fishing in miserable weather and never turned the reel in anger on beautiful (weather) days.

I just check the wind direction and strength and go when I thinl I will be comfortable and hope the fish co operate!

Cheers, Slates

blaze
06-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Hi all
we check the weather and decide what side of the state we will fish on and for what type of fish. i new we had something going for us in TASSIE
safe fishin
robbie

lordy
07-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Fitzy is on the money again. One thing to note that wind travels clockwise in a low and counter-clockwise in a high. What this means is that the wind direction can change as the high moves around while the barometer might not. It certainly adds to the complexity.