PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Fishing Destination?

imported_admin
27-08-2001, 10:34 AM
What would you consider the ultimate fishing destination in Australia that you dream about fishing one day.

If you could go anywhere in Australia to fish for a few days and didn't have the constraints of budget where would you go, what species would you like to target, why that location and species, etc.?

Luke
28-08-2001, 08:14 AM
G'day Steve,
Kakadu and Barra for the sights and the fishing. Beautiful.
One day definitely. Money can't keep me away forever.
Luke

imported_admin
29-08-2001, 06:31 AM
Luke

Went to Darwin a couple of months ago, it was Brilliant. The Barra fishing is fantastic up there. Pitty we had to travel so far to fish for them, would be great if they were stocked down here, but that's another topic ;D.

Went to Kakadu, or should I call it what some of the locals called it, Kakadon't ;D. It was nice enough but a bit overated in my books, go to Litchfield National Park instead.

We saw more wildlife and just as nice scenery while we fished at the billabongs then we did at Kakadu. May have been the time of year though.

Luke
29-08-2001, 07:52 AM
G'day Steve,
good to yak to someone who's been there and glad you had a fishtastic time.I also had a look in Sat's courier mail and had an article on Carpentaria Seafaris up the tip and that looks awesome aswell. Great to live in a country like this with so much to offer I've often said to myself what's the point in going overseas and depriving myself the opportunity to see (and fish) as much as I can of my own country. BUT I suppose if I did go overseas I'd like to fish in Papua New Guinea as I've had a mate come back from there spruking about giant black bass.
Luke

Fitzy
29-08-2001, 12:09 PM
G'day Steve,
# # # #good to yak to someone who's been there and glad you had a fishtastic time.I also had a look in Sat's courier mail and had an article on Carpentaria Seafaris up the tip and that #looks awesome aswell. Great to live in a country like this with so much to offer I've often said to myself what's the point in going overseas and depriving myself the opportunity to see (and fish) as much as I can of my own country. BUT I suppose if I did go overseas I'd like to fish in Papua New Guinea as I've had a mate come back from there spruking about giant black bass.
Luke

Hi Luke,
Another great spot is Shoalwater Bay in Central Qld. Virtually untouched as it is the military zone, no pros in there either. Can get in there on board with Waikari Fishing Charters out of Stanage Bay or Rosyln Bay (Yeppoon).
Some pics from a trip there 2 weeks ago:
http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/39.jpg
http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/40.jpg
http://www.ausfish.com.au/fitzy/gallery/images/41.jpg
Not bad for middle of winter. :D

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Luke
29-08-2001, 01:13 PM
Fitzy,
Absolutely brilliant but your making my feet itchy!!

Brett_Finger
29-08-2001, 04:51 PM
Ok,
weipa, shoalwater, Hinchenbrook
all in the middle of summer ;D
Hookin, Brett

pockets
29-08-2001, 04:54 PM
Steve,
i was chatting with a bloke on line last week who regularly catches marlin off the rocks at Jervis Bay. Sounded like a great trip to me plenty of action.

Can find him on "paltalk" in Robs fishing room. has regular fishing chat most nights.

cheers
pockets

Zorba
29-08-2001, 05:31 PM
Yeah mate, I'd have to agree with pockets on this one. The 'Land-based Addiction' videos are really something else. Marlin, huge cobia, tuna, and then 20 ft away you see a 5mtr noah come from the depths and demolish your fish. As soon as I get a TLD50 and a decent LBG stick I'm off to the Jervis Bay rock ledges. ;D ;D ;D

Lucky_Phill
29-08-2001, 05:52 PM
It's all a bit much for me. all these exotic places. I love tossin lures and poppa's around the Whitsundays. Most of the folk up that way, bottom bash. Even down here in Moreton Bay, I take my lures with chasing squire or whatever. Nothing beats the thrill of watching a Big Trevally striking at your poppa 3 or 4 times and then BANG !!!let the games begin. I think the ultimate location doesn't matter, as long as you're out there doin it and not at home thinkin about doin it. :) 8)

MangroveJase
08-05-2003, 05:30 PM
Cape leveque North of Broome, or Quobba north of Carnarvon in W.A. are by far the best places we have stayed and fished. We lived in Kakadu for 12 months, running the bar at Cooinda (Yellow Waters). At the right time of year, it fires, but there are much better barra spots in N.T, most of them saltwater.

Cheers
Mangrove Jase

Fitzy
08-05-2003, 06:40 PM
Is New Guinea part of Oz?

Probably some of the country in the north-west of Oz for a looksie.

fitzy..

bugman
09-05-2003, 04:09 AM
I was about to go complete fantasy and say all of these exotic destinations overseas but then realised Steve said Australia - thanks Fitzy.

I'd like to emulate a couple of Malcolm Douglas videos. There was one where he took his boat up through the Kimberleys and caught more barra than I've ever seen before in some amazing scenery.

The second was running along the north Western Australiam coastline for about 300+kms. Obviously have to get fuel drops etc but bloody hell it looked fantastic.

Who's got a 6-7m plate alloy boat with a 4 stroke and a spare month of free time and about $2,000. I'm up - believe me - I'm up.

Brett

jaybee
09-05-2003, 04:30 AM
yep i agree with bugman, after first seeing Malcolm Douglas west of the kimberlies, it has always been my dream, the big spaniards, queenies, mud crabs and oysters, not to metion metion the vast rugged beauty of the country side.
cheers.

dazza
09-05-2003, 05:49 AM
Hi All
For me it would have to be the Cotteril and Jackson rivers which are on the west coat of Cape York. Absolutley awseome fishing and breathtaking country. Caught 28 different species in the Cotteril in October last year during a 4 day fishing trip.
Cheers
Dazza

Dominator
09-05-2003, 06:11 AM
Having been up to Seventeen Seventy a few times and seen some of the best Coral Trouts caught i'd be happy with another trip up there. ;) ;) ;)

Cheers,

Dominator.

nilsmaster
09-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Hi bloke the rivers at Kowenyama are great for barra jacks and all sorts of good fish.Great scenery and huge crocs buts its all worthwile.There are limited campsites so you dont get overrun by clowns.Hope this helps. Regards Nilsmaster

CHRIS_aka_GWH
09-05-2003, 11:35 AM
getting away from the tropical north ....

how about the southern WA coast. Knobbies, 5kg tailor schools & XOS jewfish in the daylight off the beach. It's a place I've never fished but know the rumours to be true.

seeyainthesurf,

chris

whiteman
09-05-2003, 12:52 PM
The fishing up here on the east coast of NQ is pretty good but if you want to try something a little out of the way with fishing like it was before we raped the seas, have a look at this place: http://www.dinahisland.com.au. The people that run this place will help you catch very large saltwater Barra plus all the other usual seafood in BIG sizes.

Barrymundi
09-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Nice Spot and good website,

Hits will be up on that one. ;D I see they dont have email ?

spike2
09-05-2003, 04:16 PM
WEIPA OR WEIPA

stubby
09-05-2003, 04:48 PM
I'd like to hike high into the mountains of Tasmainia to fish for wild trout. The scenery alone is worth it ;D

spinna
09-05-2003, 06:19 PM
If your into LBG fishing jervis bay is the place to go :o.
The ledges that you want to go off are called the tubes or devils elbow . The fish that you can hook up on are big kingfish/sailfish/all kinds of tuna/marlin/cobia/bonito.
But you have to put in the time and a lot of it. Its the best LBG spot in the world. And its all in my back yard well 20 mins away. Its a pitty im not into LBG have tried a few times had some good hook ups but i just dont have the time.

cheers spinna 8) ;) go the blues (just had to put that in ::))

bugman
10-05-2003, 04:04 AM
Stubby,

That was going to be my second choice. It wasn't my first because I've already done a bit of it. It's majestic up there through the highlands. We used to have this lake, which I can't remember the name off. It was 4 hours hike in - walked around the lake once while spinning - 2 hours - 4 hours walk home. Big day but bloody majestic. Some days we didn't see a scale but other would yield 4-6lb trout. Awsome stuff.

Bugman

Fisheasy
10-05-2003, 05:56 AM
I agee with Spike 2 - Weipa!
My uncle lives in Weipa and has just purchased and towed a boat in excess of 7m from Brisbane to Weipa - no problems.
I don't think a lot of people know just how accessible the place is - it is not a hard drive!
Trip 5 later this year am boy, am I looking forward to it!!!

TJH
12-05-2003, 01:44 PM
A great fishing exerience is going out to the Swains for a week or two but doing all your fishing from dorys.
There is nothing better drifting around shallow coral reefs and using light gear to try and entice those coral trout out of their homes.
That was a few years ago so I don't know how good it is out there now

MangroveJase
13-05-2003, 01:20 PM
You aint fished to you've fished W.A. And I mean all of it, every stretch of coast offers you somthing different. and in XOS size only. The place is so remote.......the fishing is just awsome. Whatever your favoured fishing method this place has the lot..........if you make the trip, you will never forget it.
biggest Tailor session of my life at Steep Point. This place has to be visited to be believed. LBG fishing at its HUGEST.
You gotta do it, just once.

MJase :o

Mugil
14-05-2003, 05:53 AM
I have been fortunate enough to fish many of the spots listed. Lived in Weipa 3 ˝ years, Darwin, Gove, Tassie, WA (been to Quobba, Exmouth etc) SA and seen some mindblowing stuff. But the best in terms of consistent big fish and variety IMHO is the outer Coral Sea reefs. Pristine waters and awesome fishing. Check out the report from my most recent trip to Saumarez Reef in the ‘Fishing Reports’ section. Cheers Mugil

fishy_phil
14-05-2003, 07:59 AM
:-XNORTH OF BURKETOWN:-X
nothing more needed!
phil

stilltryin
14-05-2003, 12:20 PM
anyplace where there are fish, fish and more fish and I can get there

swano
14-05-2003, 01:11 PM
been saving up the coupons and suck points (new kitchen and renovations) to get back up to proserpine to do battle with some more of the most mind blowing, hard pulling, tackle destroying barra i've ever had contact with. i've done several n.t trips to the daly, waigait, macathur river, bing bong etc and up to weipa and the cape and had some incredible times(over 40 barra in a session) but to visit this place last october and come in contact with fish 1200mm long and weighing over 25kgs, it's going to be tough to travel over twice the distance and shell out twice the cash to go to the top end again.so bring on september ??? ???