PDA

View Full Version : New fish names to clear confusion

jaybee
13-07-2004, 11:46 AM
ABC News
Last Update: Saturday, July 10, 2004. 8:30am (AEST)
More than 4,000 fish are being given new names to clear up confusion over what they are called.
At present, some species of Australian fish have a different name in each state.
For example, golden perch is as also called yellowbelly, callop and murray perch.
The new names being recommended by scientists are open to public comment for the next month.
Dr Peter Last, from the CSIRO National Fish Collection, says some of the current names date back to early settlement.
"The names were coined by people in different states [and] those names have persisted," he said.
"In some cases recreational fishermen have got different names to commercial fish names and so on so we've just got this mixture of names derived from all sorts of reasons.
"We have aboriginal names in there as well, for example.
"Divers like to use different names in some cases, so we've got a mixture for those purposes."

MTpockets
13-07-2004, 12:25 PM
I'm glad they are going to take away the confusion buy calling a fish another name ??? ???
Correct me if I am wrong but if a fish has one legitimate scientific name, and one collocial name, and say 2-3 nicknames, wouldn't it just make it more confusing calling it yet another name?
Whats in a name I say?
I think a silver bream will always be a silver bream to me and if they name it something like a spangled bream, I will still call it a silver bream.... soooo.....
Makes little sense to me
cheers
Les 8)

jaybee
13-07-2004, 12:36 PM
yeh i agree mt, i mean whats wrong with grants, its most rec fishers bible, is he going to have to change that now? will changing a name bring a certain fish under another category, affecting size and bag limits? who knows.
cheers
joe

jockey
13-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Hopefully they will use one of the common names already in use. Unfortunately some common names also apply to different species in different areas. Like Jew.

raefpud
13-07-2004, 02:38 PM
At least then u know what you are getting on your plate

Needmorerum
13-07-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm flat out remembering and knowing what the names are know, let alone having to start all over again.

Corry

Gazza
13-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Your dead right Corry....
I reckon fishshops should just name their fish....flake and cod #::)
Save them putting all those different name(s) on the .....flake and cod #;D

And there should be more names for chips too!! #>:(

;D :D :D :D

MTpockets
13-07-2004, 07:58 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NQCairns
14-07-2004, 01:55 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thunderbird
14-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Havn't the scientists over at the CSIRO got anything better to do?
They do some valuable research over there i know, but this!

Great! give a bunch of neards in white coats and pocket protectors the job :-/
The only rod they have ever held is ::) ::)

Bottom line is What a waste of money. >:(