PDA

View Full Version : Seafood industry welcomes federal package

rajawolf
24-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Source: ABC

The seafood industry has welcomed the Federal Government's offer to buy out commercial licences to try and reduce overfishing.

The funding package includes $150 million to buy back licences and $70 million in grants for businesses and communities to cope with job losses.

The Federal Government says stocks in 17 Australian fisheries have declined.

Fisheries Minister Ian Macdonald expects about half of the 1,200 commercial fishers to retire.

"Many of them will grab at this lifeline being offered to them and get out with some dignity," he said.

The chairman of the Australian Seafood Industry Council, Bob Pennington, says it is a good offer but it is up to individual operators to decide.

"If the package is or at least the finance on offer is correct and adequate, then I'm quite sure that there will be a number who are quite prepared to accept the offer and sell out their licence," Mr Pennington said.

He says it is a good outcome for businesses that are not sustainable, but younger operators will have a different view.

"There will be a reduction in the total allowable catch in the fisheries," he said.

No pressure

The package is being extended to a number of fisheries, most of them in the east coast, but also within the northern prawn fishery.

South-east Trawl Fishing Industry Association spokesman Fritz Drenkhahn says operators are under no pressure to retire.

"The option is theirs - we're not forcing anyone to do anything," he said.

Scientist Dr Ian Knuckey says it is a sign of positive change.

"People are committing to the future sustainability of fishing and they're the people we want in there in the long-term," he said.

Peter Frankin from the Commonwealth Fisheries Association says sections of the seafood industry have been lobbying for the package.

"The pressures within industry have been building for a couple of years," he said.

INDULGENCE
24-11-2005, 07:20 AM
This is great news for the rec fisherman and commercial guys alike.
I use to work as a pro and got out mainly because I couldnt make enough money.I created another business and whilst successful its been hard, I am about to retire and will fund that myself.Wouldnt it be nice if the Fed Govt paid me out from my business.
These Commercial guys do it hard but just the same its our tax that is going to buy them out.
Really makes me wonder

Wally

nonibbles
24-11-2005, 10:33 AM
I wonder though...
Will the same areas be available to fish by fewer licenced operators? This will make the remaining operators big operations indeed and with less operators wouldn't this in turn create less effort in monitoring their activities? It surely wouldn't have any effect in the long term on actual catch rates unless the TAC is reduced as well. Am I wrong, how wrong?
I am not very knowledgeable in these areas.

rando
24-11-2005, 12:12 PM
On the news last night Mc Donald said TAC will be reduced.
rando

Mick
24-11-2005, 12:47 PM
I thought the NSW government already tried this and failed. They paid out a heep of pro fisherman to reduce the number or commercial fishing operators, to find out later that they took the money and rejoined working in the fishing industry in a different state or as a different company.

Imagine someone walked up to you and gave you the rest of your lifes wages and said stop work. How is the person that gave you that money going to enforce that you never work in your job again? Wouldn't it be easy just to skip state and continue working in your career...., and now earning $2 for every $1 you were previously earning.