PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to prevent boat theft?

Sea-Dog
20-07-2006, 07:51 PM
What sort of tricks can be used to make it difficult for scumbags to tow away your boat when you're not home?

(other than sitting there with a 12 Gauge)

I know that the most determined thieves will do just about whatever it takes to get your boat, but there must be ways to make enough of a deterrent to make them find an easier target.

Just don't give away too many secrets - you never know who is reading. >:(

revs57
20-07-2006, 08:38 PM
a combination of all the following - Killer dogs, alarms, electric fence devices, wheel clamps, Hardened tensile chain on each axel to a 200 tonne block in a vault like enclosure - is sure to slow the process down

Mate, locks only keep honest people out! I guess the goal of any security is to remove the opportunistic thief from the equation. #If someone wants it badly enough they'll unfortunately find a way...

Cheers

Rhys

imported_admin
21-07-2006, 12:19 PM
You should always ask your insurance company what they will accept as prevention. Having a chain from the trailer to a post may not cover what they require as far as a "Theft Pevention Device"

Have a look at the Trailer locks - http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer

http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer/images/cm4.jpg

BrandonH
21-07-2006, 03:21 PM
those trailer locks work well on and off the towball ;) I didn't start fishing untill I had one of these and a lockable pin for the hitch!!

It dosn't stop the wobble roler pinchers though >:(

Cheers
Brandon...

bassgirl
21-07-2006, 10:43 PM
We keep our boat out of sight, behind a big fence with a "beware of the dog" sign and a big dog. The trailer has a wheel clamp & a trailer lock. Dont leave any of your fishing gear on the boat (sounders, gps, fishing rods & reels) just in case. And have it all fully insured.

Mr__Bean
22-07-2006, 03:47 AM
For those that do you use locks as shown below....

http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer/images/cm4.jpg

They do not prevent a thief from just connecting up your chains and towing your boat away using the chains.

However, if you lay your chains through the lock as well this prevents them being able to connect the chains up to their towbar (see below).

- Darren

Gbanger
23-07-2006, 12:56 PM
i use a hitch lock as above and also a wheel clamp

Big_unit
23-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Some security devices & ideas -

Dogs - noisy is better than aggressive. Aggressive is more fun though.

Sensor Lights.

Alarms - movement sensors and magnetic strips.

CCTV - Hooked up to long play VCR or DVD recorder. Web cams work if you have the technology.

Secure fencing & shedding - locks fitted & alarms installed.

Padlocks should always be the highest security rating you can afford. Cheap padlocks are very easy to disable.

Dont leave anything laying around that can be used as tool or weapon.

Advertise the fact that security guards patrol the premises. Even if they dont.

Lock your power box and place a sensor light over it.

Advertise that security devices are installed & active on the premises, dont say what they are.

Get a trustworthy neighbour/s on side and look out for eachother.

Basically put the elements of being caught and surprise in your attack. Keep them guessing.

Cheers
James

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
23-07-2006, 09:04 PM
With regard to the hitch locks, what could stop a thief unbolting the tow hitch and replacing the hitch with his own? The ones I have seen have "Do not weld" on them and so they are bolted. Wouldn't it be better if they were welded to the drawbar?

Cheers
Dave

DNO40
24-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Dave,

Don't think you can have welded anymore - people obviously don't fix up the cracking welds.

DNO

Noelm
24-07-2006, 08:43 AM
my neighbor had his boat chained to his fence but the chain was sort of hidden so as to not be easily detected, one day he came home and his fence was pulled over a bit and the chain tight, but his boat was till there! maybe it was just enough to make a racket and the crooks did not hang around to cut the chain as they may have been caught, must have given them a fright when it tightened up huh!

Gorilla_in_Manila
24-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Dave,
I can understand the no weld requirements for the hitch attachment due to the likelihood of weld cracks and then the extreme cyclic loading propegating fatigue cracking.

But you should be OK tack welding the nuts to the bolt thread.

Might make it a bit difficult for yourself if you ever want to change it, but thats' the whole idea.

Cheers
Jeff

timddo
24-07-2006, 08:27 PM
i have a lock like above, and park an old bomb in front of the boat. (old car that still runs). So if they want the boat, they nee to steal the car, remove the box trailer and cut the lock on the towbar and always get through the wife and i have a good neighbour.

hussy
27-07-2006, 11:01 PM
buy a 4m hornet trophy with a 30 hp yammy. no one would steal it , if they did it would be a godsend.

hubby

rick_k
29-07-2006, 01:18 AM
mate tack welded u bolt nuts on his box trailer.

While they lasted for years like that, when it came time to remove them, easily broke u bolts with a shifter one handed. Cruddy u bolts, or affected by the welds?

Gorilla_in_Manila
29-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Rick,
Depends where the bolt broke. My guess is it would have broke on the threaded section of the bolt near the bottom of the nut; ie the full depth of the nut away, on the other side of the tack weld. If he was using a shifter he must have had that on the nut, and applied enough torque to break the bolt at is weakend point near where the shank meets the thread or where you have the thread in a shear plane.
So my guess would be it had nothing to do with the tack weld and everything to do with leaving the U bolt (cruddy or not) for a long time in an extremely stressful situation.

Same like wheel studs that have rusted / fused to the wheel nut (usually after being over tightened with rattle guns) can be fairly easily twisted and broken, unless they are given a good long soak with WD40 first. No tack welds here, but happens quite regularly, and you'd see a similar break pattern.

By the way, you didn't mention anything about your mate grinding off the tack welds before leaning on the nut with a shifter. ::) ;)
But you destroy the nut and the bolt by doing so anyway. By tack welding any nut and bolt, you are already making the decision that the bolt and nut will be destroyed as soon as it needs to be removed.

Cheers,
Jeff

netfish
02-08-2006, 11:54 AM
I've got two dogs ( not the old joke ) They go off when someone enters the area. No one has come in all the way yet.

wayneoro
08-08-2006, 07:52 AM
cunning plan from a kiwi just changed houses moved boat first which would be on its ace for a few days heres the cunning bit i put trailer axle on block removed 4 wheel nuts left 5 just on hid nuts fully moved in now can't find them need to buy 4 holden mag wheel nuts thanks

djdamo
17-08-2006, 12:16 PM
good ideas people thanks

AussieBrad
11-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Id be inclined to put a small GPS tracking device in a concealed internal part of the boat.

and then watch the theives movments on your computer.

simple

baitwaster
11-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Here are two of my "locks"
The little brown one is 42Kg, and the
white one just weighed in at 57 Kg. Sometimes I am
scared to open my own gate at night

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c194/m8eee/P2070009.jpg

I also have a trailer hitch lock, a padlocked front gate and a couple of
other boobytraps around the boat.

A good idea is to get some empty stubbies and tie some fishing line
to them, then put them on the roof above some concrete. Tie a fishin
hook to the other and and hook it to some part of the boat. If someone
is snooping around, they will probably snag the line and drop the
bottles on the concrete, or they will drop when the boat is moved.

JUST DON'T FORGET THEY ARE THERE as I did once.

artesian
30-01-2008, 09:11 PM
G'day Jeff, that's exactly where they broke, so I reckon you are spot on with diagnosis.

No grinder involved, because it was a roadside repair due to a broken spring - as I said, the trailer had a hard life.

Sorry about the delay in posting - didn't see this one for a while.

thejumbie
10-02-2008, 09:13 AM
a simple tack weld should not weaken the bolt

quote.....

Mate, locks only keep honest people out! I guess the goal of any security is to remove the opportunistic thief from the equation. #If someone wants it badly enough they'll unfortunately find a way...

true that!!!

Poodroo
21-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I am lucky in that I can run the boat into the back yard. It is pretty safe where it is. If I had to leave it in the front yard I would do things like put a heavy duty chain through the trailer wheels, put a tarp over the boat with lots of octopus straps everywhere which would make it a task to remove, I have a lock going through the trailer hitch so they would have to smash the lock to be able to lock it onto a tow ball, and I would also try to have the boat parked near a big tree and chain it to that as well. And if they still managed to steal it, then that will be a big insurance claim.

Poodroo

cormorant
26-02-2008, 03:17 AM
Datadot your boat , trailer and accessories and put the warning stickers on. Spray it on and register it. Might not stop the kids but will stop the pros as they have a higher chance of getting caught.

Those who remove fishing gear and GPS etc check your insurance policy as often if it isn't in the boat it ain't covered and won't be covered under household policy. Stupid I know but nearly better to leave in boat.

There is now several small self contained security cameras. Won't stop theft but at least you can see who did it. They are battery operated , look just like a security sensor or light and have a memory SD card and are activated by movement . IR so work at night and will take many frames of thieves at work. Very easy ti hide high out of reach.

Get a prop lock- props are easy money.
lower units , gearboxes, use stainless security head studs so they have to work and bring more tools for it.

There are outdoor movement alarms that are portable and can be placed under the covers and they have loud sirens. Simple mercury switch with a siren was they have to change boat angle to steal it.

Boat tracker alarms are avaliable that have several imputs for movement sensors etc that can alsosms or dial your mobile etc. Some have GPS enable as well so tell where they are towing it.

shano
10-03-2008, 07:00 PM
what i have always thought of doing was to rig up the epirb. tie a string to the switch and the other end to something off the boat then when trailer is taken it will set it off tell police what has been done and they can track it;)

Dirtysanchez
13-03-2008, 03:04 PM
There are some decent GPS based tracking systems around now, I think if you set off your epirb you would be in trouble..
I deal with a few of the manufacturers, so I can't really be plugging them here, but they are easy to find on google etc.
When I have my trailer on the car I have an extra piece of chain welded to the draw bar, and this gets padlocked to the towbar.
My trailer is also a piece of crap, so if it goes thats life I guess

insideout
13-03-2008, 03:23 PM
for the larger boats, i have herd of the disc brakes having a hole drilled in them, and one of those locks that when locked on to the disc, have very little of the shaft showing,so the theives can not drive away, or cut it. Just dont loose your keys...

SgBFish
14-03-2008, 11:58 AM
for the larger boats, i have herd of the disc brakes having a hole drilled in them, and one of those locks that when locked on to the disc, have very little of the shaft showing,so the theives can not drive away, or cut it. Just dont loose your keys...

Or forget to unbolt it yourself.
My God that could be messy, noisy and expensive. :o

baitwaster
14-03-2008, 12:25 PM
A lot of blokes I know with bikes have those disc locks, some have done some serious damage trying to ride away with them on. I am sure you can get them with a movement alarm now, so it goes off if you move bike or boat with the lock still on. Also get a really bright lanyard and tie it to the hitch to remind yourself it is on there.

chief 1
19-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Get my uncle to watch the boat,no one would go there then

;D:P:o:D

Cobia Kid
22-04-2008, 07:06 PM
i suggest not leaving home and sitting in it with your 4/10 shottie, a cup a cup of
noodles and a can a red bull, this is probably the only sure fire way to ensure
maximum security to your belovid boat
hope i helped mate

r3volt
25-04-2008, 08:35 PM
trailer lock and I use to wrap a chain through the tire and around the chassis of the trailers tightly ( basically locking the wheel in place), so even if they unbolted the tire it had no where to move to and the only option then for them would be to cut the chain.

If they want your boat enough they will take it no matter what, I remember on the news a while ago some dragster was stolen, i think they stole the truck that towed the trailer that took it

captain rednut
07-05-2008, 09:53 PM
insure with smith and wesson

The_Sloth_man
09-05-2008, 07:03 PM
trailer lock and I use to wrap a chain through the tire and around the chassis of the trailers tightly ( basically locking the wheel in place), so even if they unbolted the tire it had no where to move to and the only option then for them would be to cut the chain.

If they want your boat enough they will take it no matter what, I remember on the news a while ago some dragster was stolen, i think they stole the truck that towed the trailer that took it

Yeah, the truck was packed up ready to race the next day, and the scumbags came in through the roof and took it all.

tow rig and crushed up f-glass body was found ditched in the woods.

Sadest part was it had to have been someone from the drag racing scene who took it.
either for parts, not likely as any crew in the pits could spot the parts.

and the team was going to set a new australian record for the next race

Mtx
20-06-2008, 03:17 PM
2 dogs that do not like visitors, trailer lock, in the back yard, padlocked gates, sticky beak neighbours and a incline, no standard car would pull it up :)

oh and backing that up is insurance