PDA

View Full Version : Crab Pot Stealing Thugs

skilly
03-01-2006, 10:21 AM
If you live in or around the Townsville Region, watch out guys and gals the Crab Pot Stealers are out and about yet again. I had 2 stollen pots a week ago and a mate of mine had 3 pots, floats the lot. The Bohle Boat Ramp is also an amusement to some who like to break into your cars and destroy trailers left parked whilst your out having a good days fishin.
To the Low Life's that have nothing else to do with their time than to ruin someones fishing time, have the guts or balls to confront those that you like to ruin.

Regards Skilly >:(

Deepdiver
04-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Im with ya there Skilly.These scumbags that have nothing better to do should go and find a job and then they might realize that people work hard for what they own.Oh yer there big and tough when there with all there mates full of piss and bad manners.Yes it would be good to have a few moments alone with one at a time.All you can hope for skilly is that what goes around comes around.

Louis
04-01-2006, 02:21 PM
I know your frustration with crab pot thieves.

I've had mine stolen many times also.

Perhaps report these incidents to the Water Police or Local Police.

I do. Unfortunately it has never helped me to get my stolen gear back but at least they know current trends of where things are getting stolen from etc and can make patrols accordingly.

Louis

Just_chips
04-01-2006, 05:41 PM
Make sure you have your name on a tag on your pot. Fisheries will check that pots are labelled both on the float and the pot and if it is not labelled on the pot it will go back to their warehouse for destruction at a later date.

slugo
05-01-2006, 06:37 AM
having pots stolen is a kick in the guts but having ya car done over and trailer vandled is another I dont think there is a word for these low life's.

fish_hunter
05-01-2006, 03:23 PM
I guess I have had 10 to 15 pots stolen over the last 2 years. Now I basically sink them or don't leave any out overnight. Sinking can be a bit of a pain when youre trying to find them again but if you take some good marks and tie a number of them together in a line then use a small hook to snag the line it ends up not too bad.

tinnieboy
10-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Trust me u don't need to leave your pots in overnight, we had two pots stolen from the Fiztroy River in Rocky in a matter of 10 minutes. We set them, went out of sight of them to cast for bait and returned to find them GONE. 10 Minutes U have to physically not let them out of your sight which ruins a good day crabbin/fishing.

Maddrooter6991
10-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I lost 12 out of 12 pots in one day >:(

skilly
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey guys/gals,
Caught out one of the red-neck low-life that was stealing crab pots though got no evidence. It was a blue Barra boat name can't be mentioned in case he's on Ausfish(the only boat seen) down near our pots.
Could be wrong though, but doubt it seriously when I was out fishing and crabbin with me mate, who also noticed same boat etc.
Just hope the crabs had a worms or choked the bastard.
Skilly

Flounder
12-01-2006, 09:56 PM
I hope that crab pot theives get their fingers chopped off by a crab! And then they fall out of the boat and get eaten by sharks! I think the best thing to do is leave your pots out and fish near them so you can watch them.

matti
12-01-2006, 10:13 PM
my suggestion is weld a large plate onto your pots (large plate=large welds=longer time to grind of) and or/toat trailers ect then engrave your name and other details onto it. ::)

Louis
12-01-2006, 11:00 PM
A Policeman from the water police told me once that it is very important to make sure that your details are affixed to the pot itself as well as the float as not only is it a requirement of the Fisheries Regulations Act but that when they do a search on a suspects house for stolen crab pots often the thieves have stacks of crab pots lying around and although they tend to rip the float off, many times they tend to leave the name tags attached to the pots and subsequently when the Police do the raid they can identify the owner of the pots and return the pots to the rightful owner.

Louis

brentasauros
13-01-2006, 11:20 AM
yer..I..don't..do..it..to..others..and..plz.,.for. .your..own..sake..dont..lift..mine... :D

skilly
03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Well I'm on my l
last 4 crab pots, mush be something or someone in the water that loves em. To ever has a keen eye for there pots please by all means drop in and have a couple of beers with me, I'm sure we'd have heaps to chat about. Like for eg : How to make CRAG soup, Crab entree's etc.
Regards Skilly 8-) :D ;)

snakecatcher
05-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I remember reading a couple of years ago about a fisheries operation to stop buggers raiding crab pots - if I recall correctly they put tracking bugs on some crabs, put them in a pot and then went out of sight. If they got a reading showing the crabs moving they went off and busted the people responsible. Sounds like they should be doing some more of this type of thing.

goddy84
19-03-2006, 11:36 PM
let them play with my ute & trailer

they will also play with my puppy ;D ;D
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/goddy84/nnb.jpg

sf17fisherman
20-03-2006, 02:43 PM
hate to live in the area some of you people live

i can leave my pots out all day long and over night without anyone even lifting one of them
hell my floats even stand out with the flouro orange floats
maybe it is that the floats look like markers and not crab floats

emohruo
25-03-2006, 09:31 AM
yeh know how ya feel had 4 pots stollen easter last year saved up to buy 4 new ones put them in 2 weeks ago and the pricks got them too hope they choke on the crabs :'(

theoldlegend
01-04-2006, 08:18 AM
This won't help you guys get your pots back, but it might make you feel a bit better.

Page 76 of yesterday's Courier Mail (bottom left column) said 2 blokes in Rocky got fined for raiding pots in the Fitzroy River.

One bloke copped $1200 plus costs and the other copped $900 plus costs.

The article gave their names.

TOL

TinarooTriumph
01-04-2006, 06:01 PM
We are meant to be on the water beating fish, not theives. Lowest people on earth are people that steal. Ive had afew of mine stolen, ive tracked them down and got them back aswell.

Goddy84, that not a joke mate! The idiots that stole my pots had to contend with my pitbull. Well, for us, its funny, for them, its a nice little welcome to reality.

Whenever we are on the water, and we are nearby pots, or close enough, we always ask to see their ID and the name on the Pot. Always.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

I_hate__work
17-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi all
I have had pots flogged by scumbags and also any crabs that have been in them have been taken and the pots returned to the water. I now use heavy fishing line and put the pots near the edge of the banks with the line tied around a branch just out of water level the line is harder to see and also looks like some one has gotten a snag . I then put a strip of cloth on the opposite side of the bank as a marker. This take s a bit of time and stuffing around but the feed of crabs I have been getting now is worth it.

Hope this helps

snasman
18-06-2006, 01:53 AM
I know how you all feel guys having pots knocked off some years ago(first day of school holidays) and now find myself sitting on them to avoid it again which does bugger up a good fishing /crabbing day ,I didnt bear witness to this incedent but was told that last weekend some clown was flying around near the boat ramp at deep water bend and actually ran into the pontoon in front of a few fellas that were fishing there upon helping this young but obuviously pissed kid out these blokes realised that his boat was full of there crab pots well the story goes they got there pots back ,did quite a number on the kid and then he had to go swimimng to retrive his boat back as during his flogging the boat went out with the tide .poetic justice I say.Scary thought knowing how many bull sharks I've caught down there.

Blackened
19-06-2006, 10:41 AM
G'day
That sounds like he got exactly what was comin to him. If we were all only in that situation and had the same pleasure.
Dave

choppa
19-06-2006, 07:53 PM
censored

2DKnBJ
19-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Think that is what you call KARMA

Cheers Dazza

Geoff_Atkinson
29-08-2006, 09:49 AM
bump

Geoff_Atkinson
29-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Maybe someone should put some kind of bomb in a pot which would spray a brightly coloured dye all over the offenders. It could be set to go off when the pot is lifted out of the water

That way, when other people on the water see the scumbags, they know they are the low-life a^^holes that have been at least checking other peoples pots.

There then should also be a law that you can approach these w@#*ers and thrash the living daylights out of them.

Cheers

Geoff