PDA

View Full Version : Tag & release a far better option- crazy **VIDEO**

Reefmaster
28-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Some crazy footage i got from my last trip to Vanuatu. This Blue Marlin gave them hell and unfortunately ended up food for the locals. I was more then happy to stand back and watch the mayhem #$%@^:D :o :(

TuKhqVRBPcg

Poodroo
28-10-2006, 10:09 AM
After seeing that it isn't any wonder that one ended up as food for the locals. Copped a pounding just to get it onto the boat. :o Good footage. Thanks for sharing. Regards,

Poodroo

blaze
28-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I think I would call it for a "green marlin" not a blue
cheers
blaze

DazSamFishing
28-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Tough struggle... and unlucky marlin!

I wonder if they know how to catch and release!

Daz

Reefmaster
28-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Blaze that fish was on for well over an hour before getting it boatside and still looked like it was green. :o That fish was hooked in 1137mtrs of water and with the amount of line out it was at one stage estimated to be atleast 500mtrs deep and really took some time to raise back up.

Daz
Believe it or not most marlin over there are tagged and released. All Charter operaters there are very keen to look after the fish stocks and it's usually only the local fishos who keep them. This fish was kept because it was nicked by the prop during the fight.

Regards Greg

jeffo
28-10-2006, 10:55 AM
its a shame it didnt get one of them!!!

Blackened
28-10-2006, 11:20 AM
G'day
So.... that'd be oe of the reasons why you have a marlin door on the boats nowadays?

Dave

Muddy_Toes
28-10-2006, 12:30 PM
What a joke! Poor fish wouldn't have known what was going on.... I was waiting for one of the blokes to get jabbed, Steve Irwin style :o

Great footage though Reefmaster.

MT

84mick
28-10-2006, 01:27 PM
its a shame it didnt get one of them!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Great footage Reefmaster!

Mick.

BR65
28-10-2006, 02:53 PM
One very cranky fish.
Allmost wish it had jabbed one of those boofs who were putting it thru so much.
Nothing wrong with takeing a fish as long as its not wasted and its finished off as quickly as possible.
Think the deckies bit off a bit more than they could chew.

Black_Rat
28-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Jesus ! check your own tackle :o after that been thrashing around !

Kendall249
29-10-2006, 01:40 AM
True island style, I wonder if the locals ate the remora hanging off it. Abit of an eye opener, though good video all the same, kendall

aussiefool
29-10-2006, 04:15 AM
one reason I have disire to fish for bill fish, but as said above, nothing wrong with take it for a feed

choppa
29-10-2006, 07:29 AM
the poor b#@$ in the chair was probably remorseful that he caught it!!!!!!!

christ i would be,,,after an hour of fighting it,,,then having it handled in that manner,,,

i suppose if your trying to commit suicide by drowning, and if you have the "" Larry Curly & Mo"" rescue team,,,, as the video depicts,,, your chances of survival are slim,,

choppa

hussy
29-10-2006, 09:10 AM
ever seen a gugong, or turtle pulled into a boat and killed? ( legally for food) not much difference, but no outcrys. a lot of stress for that marlin, about the same as a livey with a hook in its back , or a spaniard with a gaff through its head ,just a size differance. they probably do know of catch and release, but unfortunately they eat fish #like we do , As for its a shame it didn,t get one of them, not a good comment as what they were doing is not much different to what we sometimes do in the moment of excitement. # hubby

Ratman
29-10-2006, 12:06 PM
I would have been out of that chair and sitting on the bow spirit. #MAD #;D ;D ;D

snapperm8
29-10-2006, 07:21 PM
hey nice nice footage they seem to be having sum trouble trying to pull it in :L:L:L lol

cheers dave

isaac
29-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Took the angler a fair while to jump out of the chair :o ;D

tunaman
29-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Maybe my eyes need checking, but wasnt that a striped marlin. How they escaped without serious injury I just dont know.
I thought those days were over. :o :'( :'( :'(.

signed tunaman

geoff72
30-10-2006, 07:51 AM
Great footage, blokes who were trying to get in the boat d#@heads, let it go tag and release then it wouldnt have been nipped by the prop.

Reefmaster
02-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Yes guys certainly not the way a marlin should end up but that's life over on the Islands. It was actually the guys call in the chair to kill it but after the slice in the side from the prop during the fight i don't think it would have lived anyway.

Tunaman- although it has stripes on that bill that doesn't mean it's a stripped marlin. Alot of Billies appear to have stripes on them but after other means of identification this one was soon called as a Blue.

Cheers Greg

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-11-2006, 08:00 PM
reminded me of the struggle i had to get my lure back from that scuba diver at curtin once. :)

excellent footage greg, I gather you were the camera-man.

masterdusky
17-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Hmm... OK... well in all the yrs of fishing Ive seen some wierd stuff...BUT..... >:( >:(

GT_warrior
17-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Yep yep yep ..... All the gear - No idea......

great vid thanks...

8-)

Stubbie_Holder
18-11-2006, 03:12 PM
If a fish has been damaged (as reefmaster said it had already been nicked by the prop), it is far better to boat it and bring it back for the locals (they don't waste any of the fish) rather than just leave it for the "men in grey suits". What is the best thing to do, fight the fish until it dies or boat and dispatch it as quickly as possible. In any case it is a great video and the fishing in Vanuatu is absolutely first rate.

Smithy
28-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Def a Blue. Its pecs are folding back and they are swept back. Stripes have convex pecs and on Blacks the pecs are rigid and won't fold back.

griz066
19-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Great video mate 8-)

pimp_my_boat
28-12-2006, 01:52 PM
I have to agree with Choppa. I would be making sure that the agreement on chartering a boat was catch and release.
I understand that the fish has injured and they did the right thing by capturing it and eating, but it did seem like they had no idea how to subdue the fish

mitch_05
29-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't bring that in the boat!! :o

bdowdy
03-01-2007, 03:16 PM
:o :othats bloody crazy.... :o :o

Barrymundi
03-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Inexperienced crew- why bring a green fish on board, allowing it to flap around on the deck with a gaff hanging out of it and I would assume the hook was still in the fish.

Stupid- Lack of respect for the sea and fish will kill someone from that boat

Cruel – who cares if they were going to eat it, kill the fish quickly and humanely
The angler needs to accept responsibility for being involved with an unprofessional crew like this

Crap like this is what PETA love to see.

squid jig
14-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Greg,
this video is up to your normal standard. I have also seen your Wahoo mayhem and cobia mayhem vids on youtube.

Hope to see you out on the water soon.;)

Jack & Allan Poobar

stark
15-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Very good video of what NOT to do. Hussy comments on the money and I agree whilst it is a magnificent fish, it is a fish and will feed many of the locals.

John

Randall
16-02-2007, 03:02 PM
the poor b#@$ in the chair was probably remorseful that he caught it!!!!!!!

christ i would be,,,after an hour of fighting it,,,then having it handled in that manner,,,

i suppose if your trying to commit suicide by drowning, and if you have the "" Larry Curly & Mo"" rescue team,,,, as the video depicts,,, your chances of survival are slim,,

choppaChoppa....I`m in tears here!!!!;D

Randall.

flickflack
06-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I would have been out of that chair a long time before that bloke did. !!

charlie bouy
02-04-2007, 11:56 AM
:-[ Something About That Jsut Doesn't Seem Right