PDA

View Full Version : Weed Guard

Jack_Lives_Here
13-12-2001, 06:13 AM
Chasing some tips on tying in a weed guard on flies that I have already tied. Mainly using sizes 2/0 to 6/0 in baitfish type patters and also the all conquering pink thing.

I've set up a 10wt outfit to chase Jacks (many have said I am totally mad ;D) and if you ain't in the snag you ain't fishin. It's got me buggered how to do it effectively and not decrease my hook up chances dramitcally. ??? Do I use fine gauge wire, heavy mono ??? - HELP!

Jack

Muzzy
13-12-2001, 07:55 PM
will give ya my two bobs worth mate... I do know stuff all but.

Gaurds are the required evil in some instances for fishing, as you said if ya aint in the crap ya ain in the fun. Hook up rates do drop off but not by that much and I would rather be getting hits than no hits casue I was snagged all the time. Most of my flies are gaurded.

Now I put gaurds into two catergories weed gaurds and snag gaurds, they go hand in hand but for me they are different as per what follows.

I use wire as a snag gaurd and attach this to the fly near the hook eye and its a simple leg that drops strait down from under the hook eye. This stops the hook piont crashing in to a snag/ it bounces over.

Mono I use for weed gaurds where the hook needs to be protected from hang ups and weed collection. I do this by attaching two strands of heavyish mono to the hook towars the hook bend I follow the bend down a tad. tie the fly as per normal then attach the other end of the mono to the hook near the eye to form a loop over the hook gape.

SO for me if you want a weed gaurded fly then a mono type application IMHO is the go, for snags ya need the bumper bar action of a wire gaurd.

hope this got ya sorta on the go abit

Muz

Brett_Finger
14-12-2001, 02:56 AM
Hay Muz,
Baitfish profiles (with guards) RULE!!! ;D
Hookin,Brett

Jack_Lives_Here
14-12-2001, 08:28 AM
Thanks Muz. I'll give it a shot.

Jack