PDA

View Full Version : Leaders

Travis
31-01-2002, 03:25 AM
When fly fishin the snags for say barra and jacks what is the consensious about leaders???????

Remembering IFGA is not an issue....

Do fishos just tie on 30 -60 pound line looped straight on the fly line???????

Or do you fish with a break away peice that will break away when you have been put in the sticks??????

What about length??????

And what is the line we all use?????????Is Flurocarbon a must in the snags or just myth??????????

Just after some opinions thanks

Travis

Fitzy
31-01-2002, 03:38 AM
I can't see a problem in running 2 or 3 foot of 40 or 50 lb mono for em. Works for me. Fluro, mono whatever, they've both got strenths & weaknesses in comparison.

Break away? Be brave & back yourself. 8) :P Will probably pull the leader thru the braided loop if pushed to the limit or break at your knot if not using a loop.

Muzzy
31-01-2002, 08:13 AM
No loops is my opinion, the reason is due to the possiblity of a knock off rather than a bust off. Once while I was stripping the fly back in the loop connection slid off when it contacted a lilly pad. The nature of dacron is the tighter it pull the tighter it grips well if it gets a slight push from behind with no "pull type" load it just slips off. Of course this was an old connection and all that but hey nail knots dont slip especially locking ones.

So I use nail knots only in most situations bar leadcore etc. for that reason I have more faith in the locking nail knot.

as for line I use like fitz said strait shots mate, no break away tip nothing. If its to big a fish just drop the rod tip and act like its a hand line. Tree casts are afactor when bashing barra in cover, no blow out tippet means ya can pull the tree over before ya lose your fly. I use 30lb most of the time dont usually go as high as 50, not saying ya shouldnt just that I dont. I do normally have a but section, but not to make a tappered leader just to limit me cutting in to the fly line urring leader changes.

mate I even fish with clips on me fly rod at times thats how bodgy I am, no class what so ever.

Muz

Or is ya wanted loop on ones that are 30lb they would be easy enough to make, peice of piss to do it to.

Brett_Finger
01-02-2002, 02:45 AM
Maaaaaaaaate,
a few meters of Jack Erskine's Penn s-4 line or Penn 10x in what ever poundage you chose. loop to loop and away you go!
or like the Muz says a quick Nail Knot at the join and ya in Business.
Hookin,Brett

Steve_Ooi
04-02-2002, 07:12 PM
I usally keep the leaders short helps turn over the bigger flies, barra aint real fussy and most the time up here the water aint real clear... i wouldn't worry about fluorocarbon you don't real get any more benifits from it, except that it lighten your wallet..
I don't use anything less that 40 lb leader tippet, as big barra make short work of 20-30 lb stuff when the fly goes deep..

Poon

Scott_Mitchell
06-02-2002, 05:52 AM
Trav:I used to build my barra leaders with a 3ft section of 40lb hard mono, 2ft of 20lb and another 2ft of 40lb again.After being done enough times I now generally use 50lb straight through 8)

If not out to break any records - all you really want to do is get them on and off as quickly as possible 0 so you can get another one on again ;D This also helps ensure they are released in good condition.

I also use braided loops - although we whip them onto our lines - Don't use the sleeve's that most leaders come with :o
Use the 35lb Gudbrod butt leader material and whip them onto your line - forming a loop with a needle and aquasealing the whipping.

You do need to be aware of what your doing with your rod when using this style of leader - as the weakest link may well be your rod if you don't watch what your doing :-[

Regards Scotto

Travis
06-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply guys..

Scotto can l get your opinion on something???

If your fishin with 30 pound straight through what will break first?????????

the rod?????

the 30 pound????

The loop knot above the fly?????

Or maybe the fly line??????

You also said you use 50 pound straight through,what are you using for this????????If 50 pound was used in the above fishing situation the line would be my guess to what would break first.....But 30 l dont know....

Thanks again

Trav

Steve_Ooi
06-02-2002, 04:40 PM
With 30 lb leader and a straight rod i'd say it would have to be a close call between the loop knot, and the flyline... especially if you had a fair bit of line out ,they usually break where the running line meets the head ....
I did a SA striper in like this.... doh..on the other hand at least i know my knots hold.....
When fishing for barra the only time i use a section of leader that should break before the flyline is when i'm fishing off a bank/shore .....and use a #40/20/40 leader ...cause i'd rather lose a fly than the flyline....remembering that there is big lizards in the water and i ain't wading in to get my flyline back....

Poony

ps.. at least use a leader that is stronger than that one you used up the swamp that time....hehehe ;)

Muzzy
06-02-2002, 10:14 PM
At this stage my rod tip is down so the rod never goes with me never...

the place that pulls for me depends on how much line is out, you lose hole fly lines at these times as the connection between the backing an fly line is the weakest link on paper right about then. but most times the loop knot goes as it is normally 80% there abouts the line power (they reckon they are 10000% I say bull sh$t!), or if the line leader has seen a few hard yanks the coating on the fly line goes with knail knots. I have never done this with a braided loop.

Muz

P.S at an anchored boat and milk fish its rod down and tug of war other wise ya lose your line.

Scott_Mitchell
07-02-2002, 04:30 AM
8) I only use the 50lb straight through option when fishing close range for things that are doing me on rocks or in the snags :-[

I have broken the connection from leader to fly line on a few occasions - and had the odd line cut in half as well. The last trip I did on the Eclipse down south from Weipa we found a lot of barra around rocks covered in Oysters. You had to really hang on to get them clear and out. I cut my line in pieces three times and ended up having to connect the 50lb leader to my line via a double grinner because I kept pulling the leader off the core of the line :o

Most of the barra where between 50 and 85cm and it was great fun just hanging on. Fly line mostly have 30lb cores anyway - and on a straight pull are going to go before anything else. I only use 50lb bor better abrasion resistnace at the fly end and to hang on when you have to.

Not much finesse - but good fun 8)

Regards Scotto