PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Cast

Sniper
15-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Just considering learning the art of Fly fishing, both fresh and saltwater but not sure where to start and whether to pay someone money to learn the art of casting or just having a go myself and more than likely pick up bad habbits and also buying the wrong gear. Just curious to know who others learnt. Any suggestions more than welcome.
Bill ???

Steve_Ooi
15-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Bill, when i first started i taught myself to cast, and as you said you pick up a lot bad habits along the way...i did get better and better as time when by , but stopping those bad habits gets harder and harder as well as time passes....
It a lot easier to learn the right way the first time and definately is worth the small outlay, really it is an investment, the time and money you invest in casting lesson pays dividends in four fold on the water... You'll be casting better and in turn hooking more fish ,and you won't be worrying about the wind knots so much..
I took a lesson from Harro, and boy did i wish i had taken it earlier.. Rod Harrison is a great guy , who's down to earth, and really know his stuff when it comes to casting, hooking and catching fish.
I definately reccommend him .

Poony

Sniper
15-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Hi Poony, Thanks for the advice. Went to see the peolpe at tie & Fly and Point Cartright (as I live on the Sunny coast). Spoke to Maria I think her name was and suggested to take one of their starter course. They go though everything from selection of gear to casting and striking of fish. Just wanted to get others apoinions on this type of thing first before I laid out the money.
Cheer Bill

thunnus
15-04-2002, 06:12 PM
g'day sniper,

like steve said go see harro, he is the man. One or 2 lessons with him and you will be casting like a pro. The methods he teaches are very easy to pick up and make casting a breeze.

cheers and good fishing, Justin

Maxg
15-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Steve send me your home address OK. Max

Luke
16-04-2002, 04:33 AM
Hey Sniper,
hey mate I also went to see Harro. Like Poony said top bloke and well worth seeing him before you pick up the bad habits. I'm still practicing and getting better but I was one person with some real bad self taught habits that are really hard to let go of. And if you are on the Sunny Coast Harro gave me a couple of lessons down at Bribie.
Cheers Luke

Rosso
02-05-2002, 11:44 AM
Actually, one way of learning to cast and to tie flies is to join a club.

I don't know where you are, but if you live in Brisbane then there is a club just for that. Its called the Brisbane Fly Fishers and the meetings are held in the Geebung Bowls club on the first Thursday of the Month.

Good luck.

Rosso.

Brett_Finger
03-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Bill.
as with the other boys, Harro has been a great help to my casting,not only fixing up the bad habits, but in less enegy expanded for greater casting distance.
not to mention useing this style of" knockout punch " casting has given me a couple of more hours on the water due to the energy saved by minamiseing the number of back ?false casts to a couple.
Rod can be contacted on 0418 892 600
Hookin,Brett

Maxg
03-05-2002, 06:45 PM
Hi guys, the Harro technique is based, quite obviously on the idea that fly fishin' is fishin' and you only catch thungs wyth flee in watter, fee in air catches nutthin'. Now do it, VBg. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm4.gif
I call it hucking, because it huks things a longish distance.
I find that hucking suits heads, particulurly lead heads and those that fit the "upweight" rule. Like 30 foot 12 heads on 10 rods.
But truthfully I can't cast, http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif, like a blok head, so I'm no standard to follow. VBG.
Max

Slates
04-05-2002, 09:50 AM
G'day Sniper.
I can recommend you do a casting course. I taught myself and am a total hack! http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm45.gif

Next time I'm in QLD I'm gonna book a seat with Harro ;D

Cheers, Slates

Brett_Finger
04-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Hi guys, the Harro technique is based, quite obviously on the idea that fly fishin' is fishin' and you only catch thungs wyth flee in watter, fee in air catches nutthin'. Now do it, VBg. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm4.gif
I call it hucking, because it huks things a longish distance.
I find that hucking suits heads, particulurly lead heads and those that fit the "upweight" rule. Like 30 foot 12 heads on 10 rods.
But truthfully I can't cast, #http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif, like a blok head, so I'm no standard to follow. VBG.
Max

Max,
what sort of shooting head would you recomend for a #10.
Hookin,Brett

Sniper
04-05-2002, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys and gals. Will be going to see Haro when I get the chance and a bit of spare money to buy some good gear. Or I might just go to KMart and buy the Rex Hunt special NOT. got to get something that works not saying KMart stuff doesn't but don't think Tuna and toothy critters will be to kind to it.
Bill 8)

Brett_Finger
05-05-2002, 04:03 AM
Mate,
Harro has a range of great quality Strudwick Rods to whitch you will be able to use in reguards to the casting lesson. ;D
these are a sweeeeeeet rod to "Huck" flys around with!!!!
Brett :D

Maxg
12-05-2002, 11:35 PM
Hey Brett, on the LC13 thing, since it is 30 feetout of the pack, just put a loop on each end and bob's yer unkle.
I just splice a loop in some 35lb mono braid and slip the LC13 ends up it until it gets to the splice, then I glue the splice, one drop, and the end of the mono braid. Thats with Loctite 406. You can slip a bit of tube over the end if you like, it will not come out, the LC13 outer is vynal and CA glue will glue it to the mono braid very solidly.
You have to remember that a full 30' LC13 is a 390 gns which is a 12 weight load, so it is 2 weights up on the 10#. That means no false casting, just a heave back and let her rip. Like a huck,
Have fun, did you get a geek at my mate. VBG Max. The yellow stuff in the pic is LC15.