PDA

View Full Version : jew  on  fly

Andrew
26-12-2001, 06:30 AM
Is #something #I'd #like #to #try!

# # # # # # Has anyone #caught #jew #on #fly?

# # # # # # What #type/size #rod n' reel n' line #would #I #need?

# # # # # # What #about #Alvey #and #Strudwick #combo ( ozzie )

# # # # # #Which #fly?

# # # # # # Thanks #for #any #advice/experience, Andrew

Chris_Dunham
28-12-2001, 10:07 AM
Andrew,

Have caught a few Mulloway on fly over here in the west. Landed a dozen or so small fish to 6kg on a #6 weight while fishing for bream. As long as there is not serious structure near by you can landed quite a few fish with light gear. Have also been done over by 20kg + fish while using ##12 weight gear and lost full lines in structure. Most fish to about 15kg can be landed with a #8 or #9 weight just use the biggest reel you own in terms of drag and wind it right down to the stops. If you can survive the first run he's all yours. The leader set up I use is a 50 twist bimmini out of 10kg flouro and a shock tippet of 40kg flouro though some just use a one metre section of 40 lb.

They will take all manner of flies though Flashy chartreuse clousers on 4/0 Gama's have accounted for a lot.

http://www.########.com.au/########.nsf/docs/MB4/$file/MB4_280.jpg #

This pic is of Marty Bristows Chartruse flytail which has accounted for a half dozen 10 to 12 kg Mulloway.

Hope this is of some help,

Cheers,

Chris.

Andrew
29-12-2001, 12:04 PM
Thanks Chris,

very informative post. I'm looking into fly because I think it might be more effective on jewies than other lures because it doesn't scare them off when hitting the water,and is more natural squid type presentation. Nice and slow.
It sounds like you get them fairly regularly. Is it beach or estuary?
We have some creeks running into Jervis Bay that would be excellant for fly at their mouth as is not too much surf on the beach where they come out.
Are you a fly fisherman who goes for jewies or a jewie fisherman who has resorted to fly?

thanks again for your post, nice photo. Andrew

Chris_Dunham
29-12-2001, 05:50 PM
Andrew,

Glad you got something from my reply :)

Not sure how flies stack up against lure with Mulloway but think that being able to hold station with the fly at any level is a real advantage. Mulloway seam to really like holding in a good ambush spot (down stream of structure , gutter, or discoloured water line) and picking off tailor and mullet. All this makes an across and down presentation with fly very effective. We were running about three fish to the bait guys one fish at the start of this season.

We fish for them almost exclusivly in a river / estuary system mostly around bridges at night. Started picing them up in 1996 - only fish fly, got nothing against lures etc just happen to like fly.

That beach / river mouth sounds pretty good as there should be a couple of close gutters which Mulloway just love especially dusk and dawn at a tide change. A #10 or #12 weight with a shooting head might be worth considering for that type of location. Interested to hear how you get on.

http://www.########.com.au/########.nsf/docs/ZDT73/$file/ZDT73_280.jpg

Have just had Dog Tooth tie up some of these on 6/0 hooks for Mulloway, recon they will go off.

Regards,

Chris. #

Maxg
12-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Andrew, Currumbene Creek is a hot spot for very big flathead, or was a few years ago, and they did catch a few mulloway around there. Why not try the shoalhaven mouth, particularly the canal, and around the bridge might be a place to try. Greenwell Point jetty was a good spot one time, particularly at night. I'd look at a 12 weight to give you some grunt, and I'd have a few hoists around the JB rocks, the Docks, Beecroft etc, and a few of the southern spots produced fish. Cheers Max,
I'm not into clousers but I like Flexo minnows, if you get a chance get some flexo, TechFlek Aust in Sydney, it produces very good flies Cheers Max

spinna
18-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Andrew im no fly fisho but i do fish for jewies a fair bit. Im in Norwa and if your after some nice jewies try the punt or the coal wall or the middle beach all at comerong island also kinghorn beach some very nice fish at these spots . I use live baits my self

well good luck with it on fly ;)