PDA

View Full Version : Get well soon Max..

Steve_Ooi
03-07-2002, 02:35 PM
Chris Dunham has informed us that Max had a heart attack on Saturday and is lying around in a cardiac care ward in WA and will be for the next week or so. Has no computer at the moment but expect he will return to the fray when he's up and about.

Just wishing Max a speedy recovery .
If he’s as physical fit as he is mental sharp he’ll be back on board in no time.
Knowing him he’s probably hucking lead core down the hospital hallway and using a bed pan for a stripping basket.

Get well soon

Cheers Poony

lordy
03-07-2002, 06:45 PM
Silly old bugger, spending too much time trying to get us to see reason and not enough time fishing and relaxing.

Get well soon Max.

Harro
04-07-2002, 12:37 AM
The latest on Max
Called him at 4pm, Tues, July 2. Had to tell the ward sister I was a close rel so's to get through. He's comfortable in a private cardiac ward in Perth. They'll let him go in a week or so provided he behaves himself. He's pissed off because he hasn't got a bedside computer. We were talking all of 30 seconds when he got on to tackle. No go, I told him - happening to mention I'd been away pig shooting and was late in getting the news. He switched straight to ballistics..Max is a former Olympic standard competition shooter... His seventy something years are starting to show, but his mind, I'm happy to say, still seems faster than a speeding bullet.

Your imput elsewhere re braids for fly backing is very much appreciated. Bionic braid has its share of knockers.
Those criticisms lack objectivity and seem to be part of a wider agenda. I'd rather - no, I'd invite - the cheap shots to be made on a face to face basis.

To correct those technical inaccuracies about GsP braids for flyreel backing - thinner, I'm afraid is not better. The difs in diameter between the handful of brands with serious backing credentials are sufficiently infinitesimal as to not have any bearing on matters like water pressure on the tippit and recovery rates. The downsides for braids that are thinner for a stated breaking strain is that they actually have less overall tensil strength that those that are a thou' or so thicker. The number of "picks" per inch of weave is another factor. Too many (the tighter the weave) the weaker the line, too few and we're back to the awful handling hassles we had with first generation braids. Pick densities vary between brands. Thinner diametres also mean a greater vunerability to the knocks, bumps and wear that comes under the general heading of abrasion resistance - braids' Achilles heel. Colourwise, hot pink offers the best combination of angler situation awareness and (in) visibility to fish.

With every dealing we can possibly have with abrasion resistance, regardless of whether it's tippet or backing, the foremost "anti" factor is the diameter of the material. At this juncture in lines development, the capacity to spread the load counts for more than smaller diametres that might contain snake oils or genuine toughening ingredients.

Jack_Lives_Here
04-07-2002, 07:31 AM
That stainless Marlin accounted for a few grunters I hope Harro. They got a 44mag in stainless now also. Be here in country in about 4 weeks.

All the best to Max for a speedy recovery.

Birdy
04-07-2002, 01:07 PM
Hope he gets back up and into it shortly, i didn't think anything would keep him down too long.

Birdy

Harro
04-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Gday Dave

Yep, the Marlin ss 30/30 is a ripper.
Fitted with Leupold "scout" scope specially made for lever actions.
Les Flood had to jiggerbob a Weatherby mount to get the eye relief right. Using Win silvertips it was pulling off running shots out to 150m. On some swamps that wear nearly dry we had a kms or so of surrounding clear ground. With mobs of 50 or more you can guess the rest.
The locn was a property in the junction of the Gilbert and Einsleigh rivers. Took a bit of time out to get a few sooties and 'toga. A coupla small barra and plenty of evidence of netting. All up, a great trip.

Brett_Finger
04-07-2002, 04:16 PM
Harro,
Smithy the gun freak is sitting here with me,and just got back from a hunt... 100 pigs on the nose for 3 days hunting :o :o :o
best going 33 for 2 hours hunting in the arvo with 3 young dogs,not more than 1km from the truck...
also got a good trophy class Billy with the 300 win mag !!!
and on the fishing side a 6lb yellowbelly in coopers on a green and gold stumpjumper (bastard) ;D ;D
Brett. :D

Fitzy
04-07-2002, 04:26 PM
Our thoughts are with you Max. Hope to see you up & about soon.

Regards,

Fitzy..