PDA

View Full Version : nail knot

landy1
15-07-2002, 07:24 AM
???
G'day all
ok i am being impatient and i am going to pinch my brothers fly rod for a session on Monday (cant wait for mine to come). the rod is 7# with a floating line. what i need to know is if i will get away with a mono leader for this one time and just use my fluorcarbon for the tippet. also i cannot find an illustration on tying a nail knot to connect leader to the floating line. can anyone help with how to tie a nail knot? i also grabbed a couple of flies for the day, a prawn immmiatation and a small crazy charlie and i will pick up a clouser aswell. what are your thoughts on my luck in 1-3 metres of water chasing bream etc near slipping sands/macleay island.
cheers

Wesley_Pang
15-07-2002, 08:14 AM
Landy,

Use a search engine like Google

http://www.google.com/

Enter "nail knot" and you should get dozens link to illustration.

I prefer to use a braid loop on my flyline and use a loop-to-loop connection.

I posted a link to how to do a braided loop some time back.

Wes

Quinny69
15-07-2002, 09:48 AM
You may have trouble with the floating line around the Pin, use as longer leader and as heavy fly as you can handle, and give it pleanty of time to sink. Floaters pull the fly to the surface, Tailor are best with a floating line however, maybe you should get a popper or Slider fly and go for the Choppers that are there at the moment...Matt Q

Muzzy
20-07-2002, 01:17 PM
Mate,

cut the ends of an ear bud (cotton tip) this makes a real good tool for tying nail knots. Replace it for the nail/spigot in the illistrations and rather than trying to push it up the side just use the hollow of the stalk...

Muz