PDA

View Full Version : Ebor (flys for trout)

SHANE
28-08-2002, 02:52 AM
hi all
i,m lucky enough to be heading to the Ebor area this October to chase the trout for a couple of days
i,m only new to this fly fishing game
i,m wanting some hints on flys to use
i know there are hundreds of flys that i could take but just a couple to get me started would be great
i,m using a 6/7 weight floating line set up
or if this fails WORMS!!!!!

Shane

SimonM
28-08-2002, 04:19 AM
Woolly Buggers mostly. I use black, olive and browns. Also, I mix up the weights (ranging from unweighted to heavily weighted to drag along the bottom).

I have also had success on a smaller version of the bass vampire (size 8 and 10) and in the dry category I usually stick to the traditional Royal Wulff or the Red Tag.

Cheers,
Simon.

SHANE
28-08-2002, 06:30 AM
thanks SimonM
i will post the results on how i get on

Shane

UNCLEBARRY
30-08-2002, 03:54 PM
Good evening Shane
I have fished the Ebor area a "little bit", and may I take the liberty to suggest the following,

This area contains a very large dark brown caddis, length about 20mm to 25mm's.
Therefore obtain or make Muskrat nymphs on # 10's and 12's, with different amounts of weight added,the body should be keep full and fat, like the real thing.

To fish these nymphs from your floating line, use different lengths and sizes of a good fluorocarbon leader, to sink your fly.
Or from a mono leader, just under the water's surface, and then fish the tail of the pools.
Failing that, any very dark large nymph.

For drys, a dark caddis, 20mm or 25mm long, they float like monsters, small red tags, 16's and 18's, small fawn caddis in 18 and 20's.
For a streamer pattern, all black, Black Prince, the orginal pattern, not the new one.
And please remember to fish far and fine.
If I can be of any other help, please feel free to ask.
Kind regards
Barry Ryan

Rosso
05-09-2002, 07:58 AM
Its a shame you can't fish in the hatchery down there as they have some *big* fish in the ponds!

Cheers

Rosso.

UNCLEBARRY
05-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Good evening Rosso
You have not looked hard enough around the Ebor area, there are wild fish in the plus 3 kg class.
Just requires a little more skill than the hatchery fish, but they are there.
Kind regards
Barry Ryan