PDA

View Full Version : Cape York

MartinF
27-08-2002, 07:58 AM
Hi

I'd like to ask those of you who have fished Cape York before about the flies you used for each target species. Eg. Pink things in the snags for estuary critters, polar fibre minnows for pelagics, bongos on the beaches etc. Could you also tell me the time of year you were there.

I'd also like to know what time of the year the jelly prawns are about. And if you know the name of the bait fish that hang around the Seisia wharf, that would be handy?

Thanks very much
Martin

Wesley_Pang
27-08-2002, 02:54 PM
Martin,

I used 2 types of flies for 90% of my Cape York fishing, clouser and gurgler.

Kinkyfibre clouser and gurgler on 1/0 or 2/0 hook. I recomment the Gamakatsu SL12S.

Gurgler are great for queenies and giant herring.

Clouser caught everything from Snub-nose dart, barra, queenies, jacks, trevally, giant herring, coral dwelling ooglies and cobia.

Cobia on 2/0 Grey/white kinkyfibre clouser
http://members.optusnet.com.au/wpang/Images/Cobia.jpg

You could throw in surf candies for tuna, bendback, pink things, deceivers(to keep Max happy) for Barra. Flashy profile for G.T.

The fish up there will eat just about anything you throw at them. Just get a fly in front of their nose.

Wes

dazza
28-08-2002, 04:18 AM
G'Day Martin,
I am only new to the fly game but the following works for me.
I mainly use yellow clousers - everything seems to eat them, but I have found anything that is presented in the strike zone will get eaten. The gold bomber pattern is also worth a go. I am buggered if I can get those bloody jacks out from under the snags, I keep getting bricked.
For the pelagics I use the same thing but a bit bigger fly- works for me. (the purists of this art are probably shaking their heads) ::) ::)
Off of memory the jelly prawn were really thick around march and april. The small trevalley are amazing to watch when they get into these. They get shoulder to shoulder and swim through the schools. I will keep an eye out and ask around to get a bit more accurate info on the prawns for you.
At the moment the tuna are really schooled up. Hopefully my new 10# will be here soon
Bring it On :o :o
Cheers
Dazza

MartinF
28-08-2002, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys - got a number of flies popping off the vice already. will be up there in middle of Oct for 7 days.

Maxg
01-09-2002, 10:00 PM
From what I've seen of tropical jacks the trick is to fish the creek holes at low tide. And use something hunky, like a 12 weight and preferably pretty stiff glass.
Fishing barra is a snack, with white flies, or black ones, try poppers and flop one in there with a big splash, pull it straight out, flop it back, out again and then back in and leave it there. Give it a bit of a gurgle and woopee. Or use a intermediate or sinking line, white Deceiver very full, cast it in the muck, point the rod tip at it, pull the line straight and flip the rod tip hard.Keep doing that three times and then put it back into the much. if no fish after three casts find another snag. Works pretty well.
Vary the size of your Deceivers, all white from 4 inches to 1.5 inches. Fishes seem to like very little white flys. Max

Brett_Finger
02-09-2002, 04:13 AM
Max,
agreed.when fishing for jacks and Barra ect... i have found my faveriote is without a doubt a White lefty's Deciver,this fly seems to intice most fish into a response.
altough i and all my friends (and everyone else) use various fly's for various jobs,white seems to be the go!
Hookin,Brett

PAYNE
02-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Fished Cape York a number of times and can vouch that the humble clouser will account for about 99.9% of fish!
I generally use #2/0's for most of the fishing and they will account for queenfish, tuna, trevally, barra, mangrove jack, sharks, cobia, snub nose dart, cod, saratoga, sooties and tarpon etc!
Tie on a variety of sizes though just so you have a choice in the fly box.
Sometimes even with the bigger fish the smaller flies work exceptionally well.
Colourwise, I'm not particularly worried about what I throw out, yellow and white, chartruese and white, grey and white or white (I'm not overly keen on red & white after this colour was rejected by a huge school of cobia and tuna while in Broome).
As for the jelly prawns, they are usually thick straight after the wet (April/May) though this year, they were scarce (would you believe they actually taste quite good raw?).
Along the beaches as well as clousers, I'll use a white deceiver tied on about a #3 hook. When the fish aren't responding to larger flies, I downsize and this works a treat, particularly on smaller queenfish, giant herring and dart. Prawn patterns also work well.
In the estuaries, I have used a great "Gold Bomber" fly tied by Jeff Skinner from Victoria. This fly was a killer on the mangrove jack and barra population (the Alpine Angler sell this one). Of course tried and true Pink Things and Deceivers will produce the goods.
If you have tied a selection of Polar Fibre flies, use them for sure! Believe me, fish aren't overly fussy in Cape York (if they reject your fly, it must be awfully bad!!). Flies made from polar fibre will outlast bucktail flies quite substantially.
As for baitfish around the Seisa jetty, didn't have a chance to stopover on the way to the tip but my guess would be they could be small froggies or rainfish (they are around the Weipa jetty/ramp area at Evans Landing)
All in all, you will have a fantastic time up north - the fishing has been picking up and should be close on fantastic in October. I fished there in November 2000 and found the beach fishing slow but the estuary fishing was quite good.

Maxg
03-09-2002, 09:14 AM
A clouser works best on light spin gear. Casts better too, doesn't break rods. Catches Tommy Rough like crazy. Max

Wesley_Pang
03-09-2002, 09:51 AM
Max,

I'll rise to this jib against Bob's masterpiece.

If you can cast a 1/8oz clouser 60 foot - on the nose of the fish with spin gear all the best to you. The rod need to toss such a small jig would not be able to subdue the crazy fish that climb all over this lure.

I'd admit the clouser is one of the greatest destroyer of expensive graphite.

Wes

P.S. The gold bomber clouser is great on Jacks.

PAYNE
04-09-2002, 05:44 AM
A clouser works best on light spin gear. Casts better too, doesn't break rods. Catches Tommy Rough like crazy. Max
I don't think I'd like to use a light spinning outfit on the majority of fish at Cape York.
It sounds as though someone may need a flycasting lesson.

PAYNE
04-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Whoops, the fly casting lesson comment was supposed to tee up with Wesley's post!!! I haven't done it yet but have seen plenty of rods that had been "clousered".

Maxg
04-09-2002, 12:06 PM
I don't take offence at things like that, I don't cast fly lines, I huck shooting heads, and have done so for 30 years. There is a difference.
I think a 12# fly outfit, the stuff I use, equates to around 15/20lb spin gear, and the lighter stuff to 8/9/10#'s and the fish you talk about are caught mostly on 9# fly outfits. Spin gear is more efficient than fly rods anyway. Cast further, better reels, better drags, geared, rods are shorter, different tapers, better runners, better at catching fish.
It's all in the mind you know fly outfits are just fishing outfits, nothing more or less than that. Not better or worse that anything else, including handlines. VBG Max

Steve_Ooi
04-09-2002, 05:34 PM
Wes if you want to make that clouser better , make it a flash tail clouser. ;)
Much like the flash tail whistlers on Blantons board.
After seeing these at work, i'll definately be making up some, they seem to attract fish, like poop attracts flies . ;)
They will be a killer on trevs and queenies and most other finned creatures...

Steve Ooi

sydfly
04-09-2002, 07:01 PM
Hi Steve,been using the new Feltys flashtail clousers here in Sydney to great effect.They have produced the goods for clients where others failed,more power to em!!!!!Cheers, Justin Duggan.

Maxg
06-09-2002, 02:33 PM
George Glazener will be pleased, I think he originated the flash tail things a few years ago. Cheers Max
I used flashtail Brooks Blondes one time. Not much chop really. Max

Muzzy
06-09-2002, 06:48 PM
I was a thinking dan the man blanton did the thinking behind a flashy tail...

and george was the guru behind me fav the spinster...

dont matter either way as I still get to fish no matter how made what where or when...

Muz

Maxg
07-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Well thats as maybe but I used Brooks Blondes with flash on the tail in 1968 or so, and used all flash flies.
Nothing is new and some of the "new" tricks are as old as fly fishing itself. Even the blonde can be linked to the early Homer Rhode tarpon flies of the 40's and the earlier Van Luven, but the Deceiver is kind of unique, it was the first swimming feather fly rather than having feathers pulsate. Max

Steve_Ooi
07-09-2002, 02:30 PM
One of the things i noticed about Blanton's flashtails is the length, he explained how the length and the type of material used is critical to fly's performance. Instead of just adding a flashy section in the back of the fly, the way he tied the flashabou makes it undulate, and pulse, sending out shimmering flickers of light. and at the same time he tied it in so the flashabou doesn't foul up.
A quick search over the net and you'll come up with many different types of flashtail flies tied by various anglers, But by far i believe that Blanton's flashtails are unique and unrivaled in the way they perform.

Steve Ooi

Maxg
08-09-2002, 06:21 PM
Well maybe, but any flash material will reflect light photons and ANY movement of the fly, in any direction, will cause that flash to flicker. In fact if it doesn't move it will not flash. Its just a matter of a reflective material, light photons and the reflectors position. Flies like clousers and for that matter spinsters are not really active and depend on imparted action.
Strips of metallised material tend to stick together when wet and I think that is easily demonstrated.
But you could remove ALL of the other material from both of clousers and spinsters and the thing would still work due to the amount of flash, or not because of the amount of flash.
Either way, Deceivers beat the hell out of them. Max

Steve_Ooi
09-09-2002, 12:25 PM
The barra's love them , and i'm not going to argue with them.. ;)

Maxg
10-09-2002, 02:16 PM
Coupla flash tail doovers.