PDA

View Full Version : Backing to Fly line

dazza
23-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Hi All,
What is the best method to connect backing to fly line. I have a loop in the fly line so what next?
Any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Dazza

Muzzy
23-09-2002, 09:08 PM
you have a few options.

Tie a double in your backing using what ever knot tickles yoy, I use an aussie plait for most/all doubles. then use whats called a cats-paw loop contection. I think harros site has how to do a cats paw on it.

some blokes attach another spliced loop like what max put up a bit below in the fly line terminations post.

I myself prefer to use the tried and true method of a nail knot, cause I dont change fly lines all that much and its simple, simple is better in my opinion.

Muz

dazza
24-09-2002, 04:31 AM
Thanks Muz,
I usually do a bimini twist so looks like that's the go. My wife sometimes uses a plait for her doubles but I dont have the patience to tie them. I don't think there is much difference as far as knot strength goes between the two.
Cheers
Dazza

DavidW
24-09-2002, 07:09 AM
Dazza,

I put a braided loop on the butt end of the fly line and then a bimini twist on the braid. The loop in the braid has to be big enough to pass over the reel so you can change lines.

Makes it a very easy exercise to change the line over and the braided loops are tough as nails! ;)