PDA

View Full Version : Max Garth - Some Sort of Madman?

Andy_W
16-10-2002, 04:58 AM
After reading Max's posts on the subject I started stuffing a 100 foot running line last night. Gave up half an hour later with a grand total of six foot completed.

Heading for Quabba at the end of November and if I work on it every night I might just have it finished in time.

Max, you've got to get out more ;)

Andy W

Maxg
16-10-2002, 09:47 AM
Andy. 100 feet is too short, you need at least 120/130 feet. Reason, if you use GSP backing it should not be off the reel during casting, so you have some running line on the reel, 9 feet or more up the rod which means you are now down to a short length, which means short casts.
Ially you use 20lb Gudebrod mono braid, a large doll needle, from Spotlight, and just inch it up. Cortland in 20lb only comes in 100ft spools. Gudebrod have a thing callked "C-thru B" which comes in 17lb and is .027inch and can be stuffed. Comes in 100 yard spools. Takes about 4 hours to do 140 feet. You have to glue it every 10 feet because of the loose fit of the GSP to the mono braid and the mono braid stretches when you are stripping it in, due to the load. Anyway use loctite 406 with a needle applicator and only use one very small drop
Have fun, Cheers Max.
PS I must be mad to get on these boards. VBG.

vince
16-10-2002, 11:08 AM
Guys are you fishing for fun or all you want to do complicate things, most of the stuff I read about this fancy line connections twists this and that I can never understand it.
All I have thick backing line joined to the fly line than the leader and tippet.
I have caught lots of 5 kilo and over fish, never had any problem, It is the tippet that will brake first anyway.
good luck guys.
vince.

Maxg
16-10-2002, 11:44 PM
Well there is a reason for this, like using a no stretch system, like no knots either. All because GsP is stiff, has a high modulus and bad knot strength. To get rid of all of the funnies one needs to get as technical as possible. You can reduce the problems by using expensive 50lb backing and 50lb cobra mono running line, but if you use full lines you aren't into this anyway.
I have this thing about ocean rocks and the system is geared to that area. I'm also fiddling with a 15 foot fly rod for local tailor off the beaches and shore reef stuff.Cheers Max

Andy_W
17-10-2002, 04:58 AM
Max,

Having got all but the last 20 feet finished last night, the timing of your post was terrible. :-/

That said though, I am going to take your advice and get the longer Gudebrod running line.

Could you tell me why the GSP line must be on the reel during the cast?

Many thanks

Andy

Maxg
18-10-2002, 10:59 PM
It very fragile and twitchy, it can get knicked and hates sharp edges of anything. Its so bloody terrible a line, you need to keep it away from everything that can damage it, Its best left secure and safe on the reel unless a fish gets it off there.Mind you thats just my opinion, and I try not to make any mistakes. Like I hate holes in spools because of the GsP problems.
The weight differential is minimal, there is less machining so no hole spools should be cheaper.
Anyway just keep you BB on the reel during casting, its safer there. Max

Andy_W
19-10-2002, 05:04 AM
Max,

Thanks for that.

I'll be taking your advice and making sure that I stuff a long enough running line to keep the GSP on the spool.

Andy W