PDA

View Full Version : Fly lessons

macca
17-11-2002, 06:04 PM
This question may have been asked 100 times before, but if I am a total novice to fly casting, who or where would I find to be the best place to learn to cast a fly rod.

Last Christmas my Father bought me a fly rod, I think it's a 7 weight, I am feeling terribly guilty now that xmas is upon us again and the only thing I have done with it is buy some line.

I fish for bass in the local dams near Ipswich, who is the best and most economical. Any where in the southeast would be fine.

Thanks

Macca

Brett_Finger
18-11-2002, 02:21 AM
Macca,
mate the best advise i' could give you is to have a lesson (or 2 #;D)
before you try it yourself, it's to easy to give oneself bad habits and incorrect casting teq.

without a doubt Rod "Harro" Harrision is Australia Premier Fly fisherman and teaches Lefty Kregh's casting method.

a lesson with Rod will put you on the right track and along with a few "spots to try" tips you'll not go wrong.

Rod can be reached on 0418 892 600.

i you are chaseing guideing in your area by one of Queenslands best check out,
Gary Fitzgeralds "Sweetwater Adventures" fishing charters link across the top of the Ausfish Boards.

Fitzy's one of the best.
Hookin,Brett ;)

swflyfish
19-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Macca- If you are up on the Sunshine Coast as well- you can't go past dropping in to see Gavin and Maria Platz. I have known them for years and the advice and practical knowledge is excellent. Gavin has casting lessons and also guides the area- from memory, he still is the only one in the area with a flyfishing specific shop. Flyfishing heaven.

Look them up in the phone book under 'Tie 'n' Fly Outfitters' at Buddina- sorry I don't have the number at hand.

Stuie_02
19-11-2002, 02:04 PM
Hi macca

I would go with harro he is a guru and he has taught some of australia's best casters in my opinion. www.harro.com.au

Cheers
Stuie

PS i havent had a lesson from harro i missed him when he came to melb next time.

Quinny69
19-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Dont start of with bad habits, Harro will get you going in the right direction, worth the price and wait (if hes busy). Yes hes got a pretty good rep, but you will not find anyone on these shores with more SWF"nouse" than this bloke.Welcome to this Fantastic sport too, Maroon is a flyfishers dream spot right in you neck of the woods.good luck Matt Quinn