PDA

View Full Version : Yellowbelly Flyfishing

Zulu
21-06-2002, 06:49 PM
any ideas on catching yellowbelly on a fly rod?
i fish in a small creek and the back cast is sometimes hard with trees.
what flies, fly line should i use?????
any help will be appreciated

vince
22-06-2002, 10:49 AM
hi again zulu
if the water is deep use clear intermidiat if not floating line at list 3m of leader, as flies i had more success with very dark brown or better black if the water is clear you can use lighter colours as well, i use size 4 or 1 hooks somthing like deceiver type flies don,t make the fly very heavy if the current is slow, let it sink down slow that,s when u get the strikes try small jerk action few times and let it drop of again.i know some other people have diffrent ideas lets see what they say it is nice to read their ideas as well.
have fun vince.

pn
19-11-2002, 02:40 PM
G'day,
I agree with using clear intermediates, I flyfish for yellowbelly every week and i use black and brown flies or greeny yellowy flies the same as the pink thing but in those colours. With your back casting try casting in the opposite direction so you are forward casting to what was your backcast, then you can see whats behind you. I hope this all makes sense if not i will try to explain it again later

Rosso
20-11-2002, 06:30 AM
i fish in a small creek and the back cast is sometimes hard with trees.

Learn the roll cast dude!

Rosso.

Harro
24-11-2002, 08:28 AM
I'd like to help. I can show you a number of creative tight places cast you won't learn anywhere else...and if you want, in the open, how to throw more line than they can sell you.
Flyfishing has been good to me.
I don't mind giving up some time free of charge to make life easier for others.
Give me call.