PDA

View Full Version : new line

spehrsy
14-11-2002, 07:02 AM
I am looking to purchase a 7wt floating line that I can use for both saltwater esturies and on smallish dam trout. Keeping in mind that I am in Victoria so the water will never be very warm. What is the best colour, brand, taper etc. for these conditions?

Thanks in advance

Spehrsy 8)

Stuie_02
14-11-2002, 08:41 AM
Hi Spehrsy

i would be looking at a SA Striper line excellent line or Rio bass line. The rio line is clear it floats and has a glow in the a dark feature. i think they go for around $120.

i bought a cheaper Rio line it cost me $80 when i was in Sydney and is a good line full intermedaite (forgotten which one, get back to you on tht one). The line has treat me fairly well down here in Vic.

There arent many lines designed for Cold SWF, not as many as tropical lines. But things are getting abit warmer and it shouldnt be too much of a hassel in line choice.

UNCLEBARRY
14-11-2002, 09:20 AM
Good afternoon Spehrsy,
It would be better if you stated your price range that the line must fall into, then we could suggest a line to suit your requirements.

A clear line in floating would be helpful, however clever presentation of the fly and or Fluorocarbon leader would over come the spooking of fish, if thats a problem.

I have been only f/fishing a short time and to date have never found the clear lines to be an advantage, as my fly line is always around 2.5meters away from the fish.

Kind regards
Barry Ryan

spehrsy
14-11-2002, 09:27 AM
Hi UncleBarry

No real limit on the $$$. Will spend decent money to get a decent product. I just want to get somthing that will do the job. I would prefer clear, especially for the salt were I use a short leader 1 - 1.5m at times. Any further ideas would be appreciated.

Spehrsy #:)

swflyfish
15-11-2002, 11:23 AM
G'day Spehrsy- Air Flo lines are the way to go in any water situation- they will outlast the others and I know cause I have tried them all.

For your area I know of a top guide there by the name of Jeff Brown who has been doing some tesing on the Air Flo lines and he has some good reports. If you want to see what he has to say about them there is a link on the site, go to the "reports" page and click on the section for 'NSW'. Jeff does a regular report on there and his last one covers the lines.

Hope this is of some assistance as it really pays to shop around to get the best line you can and some of the lines that are top dollar do not carry through to top quality.

Maxg
15-11-2002, 10:47 PM
I have been doing some asking of questions of people at Rio for example and in the UK regarding the theory the there are both Fresh and salt water lines, and coldwater and warm water lines. Fact is you can use any line in any water, its the temperature that causes problems, like fish in the artic and things freeze up, fish in the tropics and things melt, so they produce lines that dont melt and ones that don't freeze but under normal Oz conditions where the water isn't freezing or warm any line will do. There are a wide variety of line types, all built to do funny things but a standard taper, like WF line in floating will be adequate for salt water purposes, as will a standard WF line in intermediate or sinking. I doubt that there is a measurable difference between Barrys lines and the 150 buk things out there. And that isn't plugging Barrys lines, just quoting a fact, and I can tell you that in all probability the fish do not care a hoot what line you use. They aren't as smart as people, and people are the only animals that care about funny fly lines. One time there was only one kind of fly line, like DT or WF in floating or sinking, and they were used everywhere very satisfactorily. You are using a 9 foot rod, just get a fly line. Max

spehrsy
16-11-2002, 03:24 AM
Thanks Max. I think you are right in saying we try and get far too technical and only make things difficult for ourselves. I will get hold of something that will be easy to cast and the fish will folllow...theoretically!?

Many thanks to the others that have taken the time to respond to this thread.

Spehrsy 8)

swflyfish
16-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Interesting to read the point of view form Max.I guess in all reality, that flylines are the same as in the function they perform but not all are the same in construction and quality/durability.

I can personally back that up. I have been fishing the salt for over 8 years and I have tried all of the top brands and some of the cheaper ones too. I have found that most of the lines last around 3 months of heavy use then crack and foul up in many ways. I am not alone in this as another mate in FNQ has also had the same problem. We have both found that the only lines to date that will last out there are the Air Flo lines ( and I am not in any way tied to the company- I fish for pleasure not money). My other mate is testing some of the lines form Uncle Barry at the moment and initial tests are looking very positive.

This is not a simple case of not looking after the lines as some people may be quick to state. I clean my lines after each fish and then coat them with the proper coating (not hair conditioner or any of that other crap) and store them on large line storage reels- I got this idea from Anthony.

Not all lines are the same in the way they are made and therefore not all lines wil last the same regardless of the way you treat/mistreat them.

Stuie_02
16-11-2002, 09:10 AM
hi Spehrsy

The fly line i picked up is a Cortland 333HT WF8 intermediate its bright blue (Cyan) and is a full intermediate.

Casts well and is great for i use it as.

The bottom line is how much do you want to spend ??? $250 odd for a quad tip SA or a coupleof bucks for a cheapy.

Stuie

spehrsy
16-11-2002, 09:19 AM
Thanks Stuie,

I have got a 444SL clear intermediate for the deeper work I do but I was looking for a decent floating line that would withstand the salt for fishing the flats and also be able to fish some closer to home fresh water options. I do not particularly want a change-a-tip but would spend up to $120 for somthing decent.

Spehrsy

Steve_Ooi
16-11-2002, 04:03 PM
If you plan on using the line a lot, I've found that spending a bit more for a quality line is well worth the investment .
Having spent a fair bit of time at both ends of this big island ( TAS and QLD) I've found that picking good quality lines suited to temperature are well worth it...
you really notice a bad line in the tropical heat of FNQ, where heat turns lines into spaghetti , and bad lines will knot like buggery and stick like #$%$@.
Whilst the cold run off waters of the Tassie highlands make other lines as stiff as a teenage boy in a nudey bar.

For a 120 buck you should be able to pick up something pretty good.

I mainly SA, Cortland and LC heads but might have to have a looksee at the Air flo range for this tropical heat.

Steve Ooi

vince
16-11-2002, 04:37 PM
Hi spehrsy I have got cortland floating and intermidiat clear sink tip they are good $130 each few months ago big W had some shekspear floating line on special for $10 I bought one and it was better than the $130 line normal price is $20 anyway try it even if you get the other ones.
good luck vince.

BOMBER
16-11-2002, 05:14 PM
I am Confused Barry I was lead to believe that you had been flyfishing for years,lost me completely now.

Regards,

THE BOMBER

sporty1
17-11-2002, 02:52 AM
spehrsy

I have a brand new 7wt line for sale in the Ausfish Classified section. Have a look it is unused and still in the original box. I included a money back gurantee if it is not as stated in the ad. It is a floating Salwater taper.Retails for over $120 will take offers over $60.

Chris_Dunham
17-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Sporty,

Thats a first class line and a real rocket in hot weather ( I use one on my #6 weight during summer) but will be a bunch of coils in cooler weather. They work really well in 32 degree + weather.

Regards,

Chris.

troutstalker
28-12-2002, 11:36 AM
@hukim, Air Flo is great. I ve thrown the river and stream for some time and cannot find fault with it. But for spooky fish, i reccomend skyline . its put out by monic and is a translucent blue that blends in perfectly with the sky,if the sky is blue that is. The triangle tapers are lines that i am also growing fond of, as there tapers deliver some of the smoothest casts ive expierienced. spehrsy,You have to expirement and find a line your comftorable with.