PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

Maxg
24-01-2003, 06:44 AM
More Thomas Michael of Steelfin. Big trevvor on the end, Carribean. Makes you heart bleed. Now that is surf fishing. Max

Steve_Ooi
24-01-2003, 02:55 PM
great photo ....
really shows how far flyfishing has come over the years, its much more than trout and mayfly hatches.
No limits....
Steve Ooi # # # #

Brett_Finger
24-01-2003, 04:29 PM
Oooooooooh Yaaaaaaaaah !!!
now that's what i'm talking about. ;D
Hookin,Brett

Maxg
24-01-2003, 10:00 PM
I have a pic of the result, a trevvor and BIG, big. The rod I don't know but the reel was a Steelfin Abyss, like 5 inches of super gear. Great pic, makes my heart bleed. Max

Stuie_02
29-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Hi Max

ITs interesting that not many aussies have taken to the surf. most Swf is done in the boats or around shores (rocks and so on).

Wonder why surf fly hasnt really taken off?

Cheers
Stuie

Voltzy
29-01-2003, 03:28 PM
Stu
I wondered the same thing and did some enquiring. Responses ranged from our larger surf, beach profile, availability of alternative flyfishing venues and fashionability of stripping baskets (?) and fishing style. lets face it, neither of those last 2 gets much press .
I have tried it a few times off bribie island (which has fairly benign surf) for tailor and longtails. Normally i am reasonably persistent but this was frustrating at times and took some getting used to . Gimme a boat anyday... Anyway, i would love to nail a decent tuna off the sand.

Voltz

Maxg
29-01-2003, 06:12 PM
I guess its because of the inability of our 9 footers to handle the surf task under out conditions, but the pic indicates that you can get into good fish in some hefty surf. Personally I think long rods are better at this than 9 footers, but line management is a problem, if you get your bum wet. With a long rod you can stay on the dry. I had my Loop 12 footer out today, didn't work all that well, but it roll casts rather nicely, with a 45' head. I also had the 9#TFO 10 footer on the go, hucks a 11weight HiD SA head line a dream. The 15' Talon is a dream to roll cast and I'm going to give it a wave tomorrow, the tailor are running. Cheers Max

stephen_t
30-01-2003, 02:38 AM
maxg
last year at the fraser comp I was playing around in the surf with fly chasing dart small choppers and trevally. hell fun and I got some strange looks from some of the people driving pass the only problem was I didn`t have a stripping basket which made it a bit awkward with the swell. but I do now which will help with distance..
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm30.gif
cheers stephen_t

jock
30-01-2003, 08:24 AM
NOW THATS A PHOTO BUT WHO,S COUGHT WHO LOOKS LIKE HE,S THE ONE BEING CAUGHT....

Maxg
30-01-2003, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but he won, the trevvor got cotched. Max