PDA

View Full Version : colour and tuna flies?

thunnus
21-02-2003, 07:00 PM
i was tying some surf candies today and started to think about the colours that i was tying - now i have only ever tied 3 colours in my flies that being olive/white, all white and blue/white. does colour really make a differience or do you think if is just profile/length?

interesting to see what everyones thoughts are

cheers, justin

mackmauler
21-02-2003, 07:06 PM
I use painted metal ;) White and gold and white and silver are what I mostly use, the bites do seem to be fewer when the paint comes off and the lead is visible.

Cheers

Maxg
23-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Well from my limited experience tuna are not especially fussy, I think anglers are more fussy than tuna. You should try scraping your lead, better 50/50 lead and tin, lures with a knif to get a sort of fluted silver finish. Tuna, well it is suggested, are blue/green dichromats, they don't see red, and in hot bite situations are probably looking directly in front, binocular mode ans are only looking for objects in front. Flash is better than colours, except for all white.
But light under te surface is dependant on the water colour and the surface state, flat or lots of movement. Cheers Max

Brett_Finger
28-02-2003, 03:20 AM
i use an olive and white mostly,a big thing is the profile and retrive,only used apoxy heads with not meteal/lead ect.. in the fly bar the hook.
Hook size would be a number2 or a 1/0 mostly no2's.
was fortunate enough to luck my 100 longtail not long back,it has taken a few years to get there.
with over 50 mack tuna and a few yellowfin mixed in for good luck the fishing has been constant.
rod and reel, DBT#10 and a Felty Predator.
Hookin,Brett

thunnus
28-02-2003, 04:20 PM
how are the tuna doin up your way brett, and what about them ugly looking flat dwellers - you seeing a few?

cheers, justin