PDA

View Full Version : Gurglers for Barra

Jack_Lives_Here
15-03-2003, 05:34 AM
I remember a post from max on gurglers, a while ago that I can't find.
Anyrate they might be just the ants pants for the drains on them mundi fish and others???

Maxg
15-03-2003, 09:07 PM
Well, gurglers are the invention of Lee Haskins, and I suggest you get a Gurgler Kit from Lee. Check Dan Blantons board. You get a construction kit, enough to make 6 Salt Water Gurglers, but you have to get Lee to leave out the bucktail, or customs will snaffle it. The hooks are 3/0. I'll check on his email and do another post OK. Max

Steve_Ooi
16-03-2003, 04:16 AM
Jack lives here....i found gurglers to work pretty well on barra's, but for the most part i've used them in stillwater , the lagoons.
Just plonk them in between the lillies where the barra's are.
I've alway gone for something pretty flashy or a fly that pushes a bit of water when it come to the drains up here, as the water is pretty murky.

Muz from darwin has been using them for some time now and could probably give you a better idea on them.

Poony

Quinny69
16-03-2003, 05:12 AM
Haskins also says to use an intermediate line with them,pulls the "lip"down and gives them a better gurgly action.MQ

Steve_Ooi
16-03-2003, 05:31 AM
I reckon a sink tip line might just be the go for them.
bobs bangers fished on a sinktip give a really loud bloop, much better than on a floater.

Poony

Wesley_Pang
16-03-2003, 04:48 PM
Max,

I think Jack Gartside developed the Gurgler.

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_gurgler.htm

Here is a great picture of Jack.
http://www.jackgartside.com/images/articles/jack_and_gerald.jpg

A gurgler is basically a woolly bugger with foam.

I don't bother with the underside, and just tie saddle hackles to the back of the hook and foam on top. It works without a tail too.

I'm working on getting a longtail on a gurgler.

Wes

Maxg
16-03-2003, 09:04 PM
The web site is www.gurglersonline.com Lee's addy is Lee@gurglersonline.com or lee@delmarfoods.com. I suggest a look. Regardless of who developed it Lee put in a lot of effort to get the kit up and running. And doing the foam cutting.
What you get is the right hooks, 6 or so bodies, some frilly stuff for the body and the tail material. And they are easy to construct and they really work. In fact you can do up a Bass Mouse with a bit of thought.
I'd fish it on anything, since the line depth is dependant on how soon you get retrieving, but with Barra a floater and a short leader might be the go. Just plop it in there are give it hard pulls. Max PS don't expect to get bucktail in the pack, customs will snaffle the lot.

Jack_Lives_Here
17-03-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Been messing around with some designs - let you know how I go.

Maxg
17-03-2003, 10:53 PM
Pic of Gurgler White Salt Water, OK
Max

Muzzy
18-03-2003, 02:17 PM
The blokes have spilt the beans they work a treat and like poon made mention of better in the still water over anything else unless you put big jubie lips on it. I have some with big lips and no tail for the salt but they are hit and miss.

Found it to be more a toga puller than barra strong man but it does work and stays floating longer than a dailberg thats why I like them.

I like making a cone out of the foam now rather than this layering type stuff. you make an air bubble in the flies head and pop it goes but all the gurus know more than I...

see the frog attached...

Maxg
19-03-2003, 09:53 AM
If you want to make cones, try Flexo, its mylar braid. Try that. Max

Muzzy
19-03-2003, 12:16 PM
yeah I can see whats doing there, I have been using EZ body which is similar to flexo I think for spreaders on fat albertish type flies.

Was more doing a slider type thing than the popper, and had the cone the other way about. Seal it at the rear and have some splayed feathers a bit of hair and flash as a tail. When using a sinking line you then pull the cone piont first with your strip and as it goes under it makes a fair noise and leaves that sexy bubble trail like a dailberg.

I think some yank fella calles em foambergs or some thing like that.

foam is good in my book, as I like building flies over tying them (just a personal preferance).