hi all just wondering what flyes to use
on
1. cod
2.carp
any help would be appreciated thx also ware to get them
caveman

vince
24-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Hi there try any type of clousers size 2/0 or over any deicever type flies try bushy type flies dark or very flashy colours cod are not very fussy feeders you can use anything.
for carp use trout flies they can be very fussy from day to day so get few different ones tackle shop should help you there.
for cod you can use poppers as well
for me black poppers work best.
seen your column late but hope still helps.
cheers vince.

caveman
25-03-2003, 08:35 AM
thanks vince it helps a lot because i know nothing about fly have managed a few cast of about 15 to 20m so far
cheers caveman

vince
25-03-2003, 03:52 PM
well if you can cast 20m you doing fine, I have been fly fishing over 35 years and fish regurarly and still can't cast over 20m but i am doing allright.
keep at it and you will do fine.
regards vince.

Slates
03-04-2003, 08:44 AM
G'day caveman.
Grab yourself some lessons if you get a chance. That way you wont get into bad casting habits like I did!
Harro's the man if you're up the sunshine coast/Brissy way or there are plenty of bloke listed in mags.
I didn't realise how useless I was until Harro sorted me out!

I like to use dahlberg divers for cod. These are a floating fly that is relatively easy to cast and as you retrieve it, it pops along the surface. The strikes are unreal!

Carp love nymphs and will occasionally take a dry. It's best to fish for carp when you can see them finning in the shallows as y ou can see their reaction to the fly and adjust as neccessary.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Slates

adavo
11-04-2003, 06:28 PM
I have been fishing for cod in the northern tablelands in small streams for a while now and have two tactics.
1. The agression response: throw anything big at them and they will smash it. Especially if it has a bit of sparkle and yellow and green in it (these are crystal clear streams).

2. The second uses a bit more finesse. Sometimes I go down the other end of the scale and use my 4wt to toss around wooly bugger style flies, especially black ones with eyes to help them get down a bit. Have caught them up to 6 pound in knee deep water using new england yabbie patterns (around christmas time).

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Andrew

wretch
13-04-2003, 06:15 PM
dont know much about cod flies but i'm sure whats been mentioned will do the job well, but as far as carp go, trout flies (as mentioned also) and small mulberry looking flies, if u can find mulberry trees along the river shake them in sumhow and through mulberry flies to them (dark brownie dubbed balls on a hook) some may argue this is'nt fishing but heck they are after all just carp and it really dont matter how u catch them as long as they r out of the river, and u still would of had some fun catching them.
Have fun
nic