PDA

View Full Version : Mary River Cod

Fitzy
02-02-2002, 04:26 AM
The Somerset & Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Assn (SWFSA) are releasing approximately 3000 - 3500 MR cod at Lake Somerset this Sunday. While not a large consignment, this is the first time in a few years the MR cod have been available for stocking groups to purchase so it is worthy of mention. :D

There will also be 40 000 Yellowbelly released into Lake Somerset this Sunday as well. Any members of the public interested in attending the fish release should be at Kirkleagh by around 9:00 AM. All of these fish are purchased from the proceeds of the Clark Kirkleagh Klassic combined with SIP funds + a $750 donation for the cod from North Brisbane Sportsfishing Club.

Fish released so far this season by SWFSA:
Bass- Somerset: 90 000
Bass- Wivenhoe: 27 000
Yellowbelly- Wivenhoe: 38 000
Silver perch- Wivenhoe: 20 000
Silver Perch- Somerset: 18 000

DPI Fisheries released 2250 Mary River Cod into Somerset & 1000 into Wivenhoe as part of the Mary River Cod Recovery Project.

SWFSA expect a further 55 000 Silver Perch in the next month.

Garry Fitzgerald
SWFSA Publicity Officer

Brian
05-02-2002, 05:05 AM
Hi Fitzy,

Well thanks for the early warning for the release of the cod. I was hoping to get someone out there to get a few shots for our club :).

Now thats where my problem started and finished tracking someone to go out there as i could not raise anyone till Saturday :(. On speaking to one of the wifes only to be told a number of members went fishing for the weekend.

Just gotta talk with this lot slipping off like that lol ........... and where should they all go SOMERSET. So we had members there but they not aware what was going on, Ho Hum.

Maybe next time lol

However it's great to hear that the cod have finally arrived. Thanks for the notice and will catch up sometime:)

Skipper

Fitzy
05-02-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi Brian,
The cod went in fine. Ended up with only 2000 of them. Its not alot but its progress. 450 of those were payed for by NBSFC. I took a few pics of a couple od SWFSA members releasing them. Will scan & forward them to you when I get them back.

Fitz..

Brian
06-02-2002, 04:41 AM
Thanks for that :)

Randall
07-02-2002, 08:47 AM
Hey skipper, will be good in a few years trolling those kick-arse Vodoos around mate!!! ;-)

Randall.

BTW...when are we gunna catch up for a chinwag or fish? Hows the young Deckie going? He`s at the age of getting interested in Girls about now huh?

Sea-Jay
27-03-2002, 08:36 AM
Fitzy,
how big were the fingerlings, were thay spead around the area??
Hookin,Brett

Fitzy
27-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Hi Brett,
They were released in the upper reaches of the lake.