PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Jack Stocking

SWFSA
18-11-2002, 04:56 PM
So who would like to see Jacks in southern lakes? Feel free to tell us why you voted for which option.

mackmauler
18-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Wouldn't the water be a bit cold for them during winter, I love em so much I'd pay for a warm spa to keep em happy, has the water temp thing been tested, Cheers Rob

jack_attack
18-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Yes, yes and yes. The sooner the better.

Jack_Lives_Here
20-11-2002, 08:13 AM
I'd want to see some pretty hard facts about stocking a fish outside it's naturally occuring territory before I putmy hand up for it. Don't get me wrong, I live for jack fishing.

Fitzy
20-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Jacks are found from WA all the way across the top, well down into NSW so there's no hassle with stocking them into any coastal feeding system along the Qld coastline. Jacks most certainly aren't a northern only species.
I'm led to beleive that stocking them into SE Qld shouldn't be an issue at all in the future. The only hold-up seems to be fingerling supply.
Commercial hatcheries won't start breeding them for stocking until QFS allows them to be stocked. This seems to be the only hold-up, for what ever hidden agenda only those with their fingers on the buttons can tell. I know many stocking groups are anxiously awaiting the nod to be given.
About time someone's butt got kicked into gear me thinks.

Fitzy..

fishy_phil
11-12-2002, 06:52 AM
gday
i rekon that jacks should be available in one or two dams say previously unstocked or new waterways eg this new dam on the gold coast i think is where it is. this would also be a useful ploy with barra stock these two fish into the one dam and have a 5 year trial of survival and growth rates. if acceptable rates are achieved then continue with these two species but keep it that way because there are already plenty of other dams with bass and the like in them. just my thoughts.
cheers phil
ps: jacks have been recorded out of sydney harbour!! 8) 8)

sav
14-12-2002, 05:22 PM
I think the stockinf of MJ's in SEQ should be well thought out. Sure stock them in all the coastal flow dams in the north but in the SE look at a few so as not to have an effect on the bass focus & population.
Couple of suggestions could be Lake McDonald and Wivenhoe (they may eat the bloddy cat fish) and Hinze.
I'm for it though.
Sav